Unabridged marriage certificate

RyanL

Question

Hi Everyone,

Were in the process of applying for our 189 visa and I'm getting mixed answers in the type of marriage certificate you apply with. We have the hand written BI-27 marriage certificate but others are saying you have to have an Unabridged Marriage Certificate. What is the correct certificate or is it not an issue. 

Thank you!

8 answers to this question

Would have to go look where but I was advised by one of the agents that you do not need a unabridged marriage certificate to apply. I was told that there are many other types of evidence that you could submit to show that you are indeed married such as joint bank account statements, wedding pictures, proof of custody etc.

Besides, I doubt South Africa's DHA is actually able to issue a UMC. I decided to still apply for the form after we got the advice that it is not needed but since we got married prior to 2013 when they introduced the new BI-30 form, I just wanted to make sure we get all relevant paperwork before we leave. This was in August last year..................  I constantly phone, email and follow up on the status of this blasted document with literally no results.

It's funny but it is literally become one of the reasons why I have decided to leave South Africa finally. I know it sounds crazy that a small thing such as a document can have a influence on a major decision but should you choose to venture on the dark path of trying to obtain your UMC, I am sure you will feel the same way!

Good luck with the application! :D

@RyanL I remembered that @Charne had no marriage certificate and had to submit the various other forms of proof. She clearly did a good job since their visa has been approved afterwards. Take a look at this thread if you are unsure, perhaps it gives you a few hints:

Good morning. 

I applied for my UMC in June last year and also after many phone calls and emails I got a email back 2 weeks again from home affairs (nearly fell of my chair) asking for my DHA 30 marriage register copy from the minister that married us back in 2010. Then it was called the BI 30.  Saying in the email that they cannot complete the UMC without proof of the DHA 30 form copy. Why did they not ask in the first place to attach it with my application.  Thank goodness that the minister still had his register book and scanned me a copy... Emailed it straight back to them and to my surprise I was notified yesterday that it is ready for collecting.... 9 month later.... So if you are planning to apply for your,  attach the marriage register form... 

Take care 

Devon73

You are lucky @Devon73 Our minister died 18 months after marrying us and DHA has lost his original marriage registers (When a minister dies they have to be handed to DHA) so to this day we still do not have a UMC but so far the normal marriage cert seems to be fine.

I am glad you have this item ticked off your list.

Good day

I would like to ask a question on this topic, we are only getting married in November but have decided to get the legal work done and dusted as soon as possible to we are considering going to the magistrate, now my question is the information online says we only need a ID and witnesses to get this done, will the document we get issued with that it is now official be sufficient to apply or would we also need to apply for this UMC afterwards?

To be honest I have no idea what we will get once we sign whatever we need to sign but I hope a copy of that will be sufficient.

Regards

Hello there BarryHeyns

Spoke to a friend of mine and he said that when you get married at the magistrate office, they will issue you the exact same certificates as the minister would... It will be the  marriage certificate and the DHA - 30 marriage register form, once your wife and witnesses and yourself has signed it,  you must request a copy on the day from them.... I found out today from someone at home affairs, how true it is I don't know that the reason why it takes so long to get a UMC is that home affairs has to try to track down the minister and get him to send a copy of DHA 30 form... Now the minister that married me back in 2010 packed up ministery  in 2012 left the church moved from Cape Town to Durban, change his cell number so how the hell  would they have found him.. That's why I think my application was laying there for 8 month before someone released that maybe we must ask the applicant to get involved and see if they maybe have a copy or can get hold of it... Thank goodness my brother is mates with the ex minister and gave him his contact details.. He had his old register book in a box with all his other stuff in the garage.... Lucky for me. The friend I spoke to today said that the minister is suppose to hand the register in to home affairs when is packs up ministry... Anyway good luck on your side. 

Cheers

Devon73

On 01 February 2016 at 8:57 PM, CyberJoe said:

Would have to go look where but I was advised by one of the agents that you do not need a unabridged marriage certificate to apply. I was told that there are many other types of evidence that you could submit to show that you are indeed married such as joint bank account statements, wedding pictures, proof of custody etc.

Besides, I doubt South Africa's DHA is actually able to issue a UMC. I decided to still apply for the form after we got the advice that it is not needed but since we got married prior to 2013 when they introduced the new BI-30 form, I just wanted to make sure we get all relevant paperwork before we leave. This was in August last year..................  I constantly phone, email and follow up on the status of this blasted document with literally no results.

It's funny but it is literally become one of the reasons why I have decided to leave South Africa finally. I know it sounds crazy that a small thing such as a document can have a influence on a major decision but should you choose to venture on the dark path of trying to obtain your UMC, I am sure you will feel the same way!

Good luck with the application! :D

Hi CyberJoe, a bit of an old post of yours but was wondering if you ever got your UMC or did you manage without it?

Hi @Lillie. I managed to obtain the UMC but nearly a month after our visa was approved. To prove that we are married I just submitted the application for the UMC, our original wedding certificate as well as other evidence such as joint bank account statements, wedding pictures, holiday tickets  etc.

Good luck with your application, seems like you are making good progress based on your timeline!

• Like 1