Living outside the Metropolitan Areas

Wodwik

One requirement of the 163 Business Visa is that we have to live 'outside the Brisbane metro, and not on the Gold Coast'. We don't have to live in a far-off regional town, but our agent has suggested Nerang. Can anyone suggets other areas near Brisbane that might qualify? I'm thinking of suburbs with good schools, perhaps on a bus/train route. I've looked at the map on Ourbrisbane.com which seems to suggest that Eight Mile Plains/Berrinba is the southern boundary, so we could choose Logan. On the northern side Bald Hills looks like the boundary, so Strathpine/Murramba might be an option. Heading west Moggill seems to be the border, so Ipswich might do. I guess my question is; Is it really that important to be close to the Brisbane area? What are these 'further out' suburbs like? More like De Aar than Pinetown? It all comes down to where I establish a business, but any help would be appreciated.

One requirement of the 163 Business Visa is that we have to live 'outside the Brisbane metro, and not on the Gold Coast'. We don't have to live in a far-off regional town, but our agent has suggested Nerang. Can anyone suggets other areas near Brisbane that might qualify? I'm thinking of suburbs with good schools, perhaps on a bus/train route. I've looked at the map on Ourbrisbane.com which seems to suggest that Eight Mile Plains/Berrinba is the southern boundary, so we could choose Logan. On the northern side Bald Hills looks like the boundary, so Strathpine/Murramba might be an option. Heading west Moggill seems to be the border, so Ipswich might do. I guess my question is; Is it really that important to be close to the Brisbane area? What are these 'further out' suburbs like? More like De Aar than Pinetown? It all comes down to where I establish a business, but any help would be appreciated.

Hi Wodwik

Nerang is a suburb on the Gold Coast.The Gold Coast City Council offices are in Nerang!

Very accessible to Brisbane by airtrain or the Pacific Highway.

How strange is it that Nerang is listed when it is a suburb slap bang in the middle of the Gold Coast. HOw doe thay do the demarcation?

I think they want people to settle away from the overcrowded (tourist) areas. Maybe they don't want me building a shack on the beach! Nerang looks like it's a bit inland. Any comment on my questions?

Nerang is a great little spot.

The Gold Coast has a motorway running the length of the area from Brisbane right down to the New South Wales border . . . . about 100 kms . . . and there are beachside suburbs on the seaward side of the motorway and country towns on the inland side of the motorway.

Nerang is on the inland side of the motorway.

The beautiful beaches are within 10 / 15 minutes access from Nerang.

Nerang is a growing part of the Gold Coast area and has shops, etc. that service the township.

There is also the only Reformed Church on the Gold Coast, to my knowledge, and the building has a kiddie's centre there on Wednesdays with the mums (and dads) having a cuppa together while the kids play.

We have mates living nearby that we stayed with over the New Year.

PM me if you'd like me to ask them questions on the area.

Thanks Bob, I'll think up some questions and send a PM in a few days.

Regards, Wodwik

Comparison to Pinetown is about right.

Nerang has a few areas which are not really where you want to live, but there are others which are acceptable.

State High schools in Nerang have been in the news for the wrong reasons.

To get an idea of the suburb go to www.realestate.com.au

Better areas are: Gilston, Highland Park, Billabirra Park.

Nerang has a few areas which are not really where you want to live...State High schools in Nerang have been in the news for the wrong reasons.

OK so that's opened a can of worms!! SA News full of murder, rape, corruption, so the kids from QLD don't quite feature here. Hopefully we'll find a decent High School in time as my eldest is only 9.

Thanks for the suburb advice, that real estate website has a 'suburb profile' which is quite useful, such as how many hospitals/schools/take-aways are nearby.

Our main concern is to avoid having to move shortly after we settle, particularly if we find ourselves in an area with a below-par school.

The website http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/attachment...ols_listing.pdf has good info with each school website.

PS How did people emigrate before Internet??! Must've been a bit hit-or-miss.

Hi Wodwik

Your question as to how people emigrated before the internet? With no information - that's how, it was a real hit and miss affair! When we left for NZ in Dec 1993 we knew zilch about it, except that we were going to be a lot safer, than we were living in Johannesburg!

I envy those doing it today, wow, what I would have given to have had all of this information available to me, at the time we made the move!

Long live the internet!