To New Beginnings!

Chrissieb27

Hi all, we are only now in the starting phase of the whole process of immigrating to Oz, we have been researching a lot and decided last December that the time has come to make a fresh start, to build a new future for us and our two kiddies.:D

So we have appointed a migrant officer at a very well known migration agency, and are a bit overwhelmed by the lengthy process, but at least we've started!

I've been reading a lot of the topics in this forum and what an eye opener it is!  All of a sudden I also see everyone around me (including myself I might add) differently.:o

I know realise that most of the people that don't want to even consider creating a better future abroad, they 'settle'. Every little thing that gets thrown their way here they learn to accept and adapt, not realising they fall deeper and deeper into unhappiness(this was us as well). Only complaining about it more:huh:

So we have been advised to apply for the 189 Skilled Visa, as my husband qualifies for this.

Just now when I went out to lunch at work(I work in the Pta CBD), I was again reminded of why we chose to make this important decision, I had to remove my jewellery and watch and make sure that I only carried my bank card with me, as it has become very dangerous to even go and buy a bottle of water(which I had to because the dilapidated building where I work's water is unsafe for consumption). 

I do have a question though, were you guys also as impatient as we are?  Some days it feels as if we wish we could be there already, as if we already 'cut' ourselves from this country and all its problems.

Hoping to hear from you guys..

Kind regards

• Like 3

Hi Chrissie

We went to visit family in Australia in December 2014 and fell in love with the country and we decided to move there. Visiting Australia made us realize that in South Africa we are just existing whereas in Australia you are living.

I think the important thing to remember is that it is going to take a little time to get everything ready and the visa application submitted however it is a exciting journey even though at times you want to scream.

Good luck and keep us updated.

• Like 3

Hi Chrissie,

I went backpacking in beautiful Australia and New Zealand in 2012. I loved it there, it was always in the back of my mind to go.

My husband and I decided it is now the time, no kids yet.

So we have appointed a migrant officer and started the process. JIKES!!

And yes, I am also an extremely impatient person...but just hang in there.

Good luck hope its smooth sailing!!!

• Like 2

Chrissieb27 and Yoda, welcome to you both, I do understand the impatience but unfortunately this is a fairly tedious process to go through.  I wish you both a smooth journey.

• Like 2

Welcome Chrissieb27 and Yoda, all the best with your journeys may everything be smooth.

• Like 1

Welcome to the roller coaster. Yes, the impatience is normal and some days it feels as if you will never get that visa, you will never get to Oz and the system is actually out to get you. Other days there is just so much to do and so many documents to get and you don't know if the whole application will fall down because you just couldn't get your paperwork in order. Or maybe that was just me ?

My point is that you need to throw normality out the window and buckle up for the ride of your life. It can be tough, it can be exhilarating and it will be amazing.

And when it all gets too much, come onto the forum and vent. This place is great for the occasional sanity check and much cheaper than a shrink. We also dispense the occasional piece of advice too ?

• Like 3

Welcome to you! Yes...impatience...totally normal. It drove me insane!! Once you have made a decision...you just want to do it already. I kept saying to my husband that obviously I am meant to learn a lesson in patience whilst we were doing the VISA stuff...it felt like forever. However here I am, been here in Australia for almost 2 years now and the visa application seems very far in the distant past now. Time does go by and things get sorted even though it feels like ages.

Definitely strap in for the ride of your life...an adventure from start and continuing once you arrive.

• Like 1

Welcome to you both....... we started the process march last year and it has indeed been a roller coaster ride. we are also using an agent which we have discovered helps a lot as we lead extremely busy lives. it is sometimes frustrating but once you think of the end result it's really worth it. we are now applying for the visa. superexcited, the journey has been really worth though we are fully aware that getting the grant is not the end but rather the beginning of a new chapter. all the best to you. the people on this forum are so helpful and very encouraging which is what you need:D

• Like 2