First Job

doggit

Hi Duggen,

Apologies for the slow response, I haven't been near a computer for a week or two.  My thoughts are pretty much the same as when I posted in January 2016.  Hobart is one of Australia's best kept secrets (shhhh...). I love living here, it suits me very well. It is like a country city, with the best of both worlds. There are restaurants, pubs, a few clubs, shops (sorry, no Apple Store or IKEA yet), markets, live music, theatres, as well as mountains, rivers and reserves for a great outdoor lifestyle. And all in close proximity to Hobart. I can go for a morning run from my apartment in Sandy Bay and be in the bush in about 30 minutes. I cycle to work in the city everyday, it takes me about 15 minutes. I have bought a little car, but I seldom use it.

Although there is a property boom happening in Hobart, prices are still relatively cheap compared to some other capital cities. The flip side is that salaries are also a little lower, I believe. I have been told that jobs are hard to come by, but that has not been my experience in the IT industry (I'm onto my 3rd job now, and think I've finally found a good fit for me).

Downsides: if you're into big city living, then it's not for you. While it has everything I need, it may not be enough for everyone. It's dark in Winter, and a bit cold. Days are short, and while it doesn't get any colder than Jozi at night, the days don't warm up much above 10-12 degrees. It's not nearly as wet as people make out though (2nd driest capital after Adelaide). People are very friendly, but will not easily invite you into their homes (in my experience).

Feel free to ask more specific questions if you have any.