Melbourne, here we come!

Mel-B

Uhm...I haven't actually... It's a fair point though. If we become unhappy with the doctor that we are currently seeing, then perhaps we'll ask around and see if there are expat doctors in our area.

On 14/08/2016 at 9:49 PM, Mel-B said:

Thanks everyone :) Excited and happy. 

And sick. AGAIN. Anyone else struggling with upper respiratory tract infections? Its my 4th one in 6 months? And kids are cycling the same thing as well, 4 times each since we arrived as well? Dr seems un-bothered, says stay on anti histamines. :wacko: LIKE FOREVER AND EVER?

When we arrived we had a period of about 3-6 months when we seemed to catch everything going.  Since then pretty much nothing much at all.

Afterwards I thought it was probably a matter of catching the local infections that my body had not encountered before and building up my immunity.  I imagine the stress of the move reduces immunity a little as well.  Hang on in there.

Edit: and PS - congrats on the jobs

Edited by TeeTMI
  • Like 2

On 14 August 2016 at 9:49 PM, Mel-B said:

Thanks everyone :) Excited and happy. 

And sick. AGAIN. Anyone else struggling with upper respiratory tract infections? Its my 4th one in 6 months? And kids are cycling the same thing as well, 4 times each since we arrived as well? Dr seems un-bothered, says stay on anti histamines. :wacko: LIKE FOREVER AND EVER?

Oh dear...

My hubby is in same boat - been sick for 2 months with one bout of flu after another. 

Our GP did say that sometimes immigrants take up to 4 years to acclimatise ...

I have never had allergies in my life , until we arrived here - pesky London Plain trees seem to be my undoing , and so now Clarantyne is a daily pill for me.

Also from a personal perspective since arriving in Melbourne, having had a Saffer GP ( ditsy and wouldn't trust her with a panado prescription ) , an Eastern Block immigrant ( bedside manner of a Gulag torturer ) , we've finally settled on a local Australian GP. I do find that he is less quick to prescribe medication unless really necessary, which is honestly a good thing. Our GP back in RSA would hand out anti biotic prescriptions like candy.

Hopefully our bodies do adjust soon to all the new germs and pollens.....

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi! I haven't updated our journey in a long time. Just checked in quickly - no big news really, just busy but happy.

I underestimated how much time cleaning, ironing and gardening can take out of your life. Yikes. No, I'm not going to say I miss Alina, that would be a lie, even if we could afford it I don't think I would ever have hired help at my house again. There is just something about it that now feels wrong to me - such little pay for such hard work, I could not expect that from someone again - and paying what it is worth would be crazy! hehe :) 

So my days revolve around cleaning the house, maintaining the garden, recycling, ironing, keeping my 4 year old busy, and prepping him for prep (lol, the irony?) (I now also mow the lawn - because I feel guilty about my husbands long work and commute hours) - but it gives me a great feeling of self worth and pride. Our garden is great - and I am proud of it. If you had told me 3 years ago that this would be MY LIFE, I would have laughed at you. And here we are.

Busy, but happy. I am content. Finally, my life feels like it is enough. :)

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Mel-B said:

Finally, my life feels like it is enough.

Love this. I have a theory that as humans we always want more, we are always chasing more, always looking for more, when enough is, well, enough. 

• Like 1