Desperate to Immigrate; HELP ME

AndyF

Question

Hi all

I am a South African citizen with tertiary education in Microbiology and an Honors in Biochemistry. Honestly, my efforts are wasted here and I have become increasingly frustrated. Can anyone please assist me in how I can somehow find a job (in any field at this rate) in NZ or Aus. I am desperate. Please help :(

9 answers to this question

Hello Andy,

You might want to consider completing a PGCE in Secondary  Teaching.  Currently this is a good occupation for migration and you don't need any work experience for a positive skills assessment.  If you decide to do this you need to make sure that the course contains at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice.

I hope this helps.

Regards

• Like 5

Hi AndyF,

Welcome to the forum. What line of work are you currently in? If you're looking to immigrate the best visa would be the 189 which is a Permanent Residency visa but you would need to be assessed under a particular occupation to be eligible.

Hi DavePE

Thank you.

I am currently in Sales of Lab equipment; more for the reason that I was battling to find work and I wasn't going to be fussy. It is nice as I am still visiting labs and such but I do wish to do something a bit more stimulating if I am to be completely honest. 

At this rate I will do whatever it takes, I just want to know that i am taking legitimate paths of action to get there and not getting scammed or anything. 

How does one go about getting assessed?

Hi Andy,

If you want to go the Permanent Resident route you have to have be assessed under an occupation that is currently on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) or the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL).

You can search for you job title here:

https://www.anzscosearch.com/search/

There are other visa's available but I don't know enough about them to comment. The PR one however is definitely the best. If you qualify for that it would make sense to go for it in my opinion.

Depending on which occupation you're going to apply under there will be a specific Australian assessing body who will assess your qualifications and experience.

There are also highly qualified immigration agents on this site who would be able to point you in the right direction. Hopefully some will log on soon.

Thank you Dave and Stephen for your help. 

I will definitely use the information you gave and put it to constructive use. This has been super helpful! 

Much appreciated.

Hi @AndyF, if you want to do some reading on your own, the Australian government website has all the information you would need for immigration, it's just sometimes a hassle to gather all the pieces that might be relevant to you. But it is also a good place to start researching.
Here's the link http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work , once you are there you can navigate around and read up about everything from visa options to assessing authorities.

If you don't yet have a clear path to immigration I would suggest an initial assessment with a MARA registered migration agent, we have Stephen and TeeTMI on this forum, and we trust them. But there are obviously others too, if you want someone else.

Good luck with the path ahead of you, just keep focussed and keep at it!!!

• Like 1

Andy!

Why don't you apply both to Australia and New Zealand for a permanent residency visa.

It will take time, as they have to do all kinds of checks about you . . . . your job prospects, qualifications, your health history, your character background, etc.

If you get permanency in Australia, the New Zealand gov't will let you work permanently in NZ also, but not the other way around, so if you happen to apply for PR in both countries, and you get into NZ first, keep your Australian application going and if that is successful, you can also migrate to Australia (only a 3 hour flight from NZ) and try work there, too.

@Bob that may be a wonderful idea in theory, but quite frankly in $ terms it would not be a great move. Also remember that the exchange rate is around R10-R11 per AU$. Not too many people would have that kind of money available to throw around!

• Like 1