Management Accounting positions

EmNew

I am not a CA(SA), but a Professional Accountant (SA), with SAICA articles, and I did work for a big 4 company post articles.

In South Africa, I was basically an outsourced CFO / Financial & Management accountant  / tax advisor via my own business which I ran for 13 years, after having various roles over 10 years between accounting / audit firms and large corporations.

I have been applying for jobs in Melbourne for 3 months, and still have the stumbling block of 'no local experience', even though I specifically avoid any job adverts with tax related duties in the KRA's. This leaves me with management accountant positions, which are ideal for me, as the duties performed are fairly universal, as ratios and financial analysis and reporting is pretty standard, and I have proven experience in this role.

I will be enrolling in the CTA1 tax Foundation course next month just to at least get some academic certification in tax on my CV, but in the meantime I am seeking employment. Does anyone have any inside information regarding positions on offer for management accountants in Melbourne? Please pm me, as I would prefer to apply direct to companies / prospective employers, than via the agents, who just focus on the fact that all my experience was in South Africa and move on to other candidates.

Many thanks for any assistance / information provided.

Em I still think you should just give yourself a career break until you have the tax qualifications.  The thing is that although the jobs you are applying for do not specifically have tax duties, a knowledge of the tax system is vital for a CFO to provide proper advice. 

Things such as small business tax concessions, their thresholds, which years they apply to, depreciation rules depending on the size of the business, the year the asset was bought as some years had legislation which only applies to specific periods (depending on the government of the day), whether the business is over the thresholds for payroll (different levels in each state), labour laws and awards in each state and the impact this has on cost of staff and being able to advise on this, etc. etc..  These are possibly all things which you don't know that you don't know about the vital role of tax knowledge in providing timely and accurate advise as a CFO.  The Australian tax system is a mine field with many many ifs and buts all open to interpretation.  I think that it is this that is holding up your job success.

The current vacancy open to you is explorer and photographer of Melbourne, part-time tax student, tourist and support provider for forumites.  From what I've seen you are the perfect candidate.

As for "explaining yourself" to family and friends: "I'm taking a well deserved break to continue my studies" FULL STOP.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply and tips. :D

Just to clarify however, I am not applying for CFO positions ( I performed that function in SA as per my post ) , but management accountant positions. Looking at jobs that focus purely on monthly management account report preparation, ratio analysis, costings, balance sheet / control account reconciliations etc.

I do understand the background required for being in an advisory position - and that it will take time and further studies to obtain that knowledge either formally or informally.

I would not even dream of applying for a CFO role until I understand all better, and have some basic local experience.

I am using my SA experience of providing the total business accounting  / advisory service - accounting and tax,  as a template for what I need to know in Australia. I am just hopeful that I can start off with some pure number crunching employment opportunities, whilst I gather all the other knowledge that I require.

Taking a career break - being a student, being a tourist, all costs money........and as a "fresh off the boat" immigrant, having just divided all assets by 10 ,and starting pretty much from scratch financially, is not something that can support a long term career break, albeit well deserved and long overdue.

Rock and a hard place.....

Probably best to hit up LinkedIn then.  Join as many groups as possible, post answers and comments to questions, get yourself known on there and make connections (particularly Melbourne ones if you can).  The Xero Roadshow is coming up in February.  I posted a link on your other thread but if you need it again to sign up just let me know.  Attending might not feel like job hunting but it is all about the networking that leads to jobs.  Let me know if you need suggestions of groups to join.

Re the career break:  This was not meant as literally taking a year off but just mentally giving yourself permission to let go to what will be.  I'm beginning to think I'm not describing it properly.  It's a state of mind.  Perhaps if I give a dating example:  We all know somebody who was desperate to find a partner and just couldn't.  Then they decided to go overseas (so not a good time to meet somebody so gave themselves permission to be single) and because they had relaxed about the partner situation BOOM they met somebody.