To use a lawyer/agent or not to use a lawyer?

MichSA

Question

Hi! It's me again, so we have consulted two different agents and received different advice from both.... sigh! I have read a few posts on the forums regarding whether or not to use an agent, but I am still very confused! May some of you please give some advice and personal experiences regarding this? 

Does using an agent assist with the speed at which the Visa is issued?

Does it change the outcome at all? 

Are there loop holes we should know about?

13 answers to this question

Hello Guys,

The debate on whether to use an agent or not will be ongoing and there is no right or wrong answer.  Each person’s situation is different (not only their occupation but also the amount of time they have available to dedicate to the process).

In light of the above I always recommend that people make use of the free initial assessments offered by most agents.  This will allow them to make a more informed decision.  Also as with any large purchase it is always wise to get a few quotes.  

I hope this helps!

Regards

• Like 1

From what I know from our own application and also friends:  If your application is straight forward then you can go it alone but if you are trying to squeeze yourself into a particular category just to get in then you probably need an agent.  The speed of the visa doesn't change.  The agent's experience of what is possible will determine whether it is possible to squeeze into a visa category when your investigations have made you think it would not be possible to get in or vise versa.

So examples of straight forward would be an engineer, psychologist, doctor, nurse, audit accountant who's degree is directly in line with their work experience.  They did the study and then went to work directly in that field.  Their proof of experience is easy and their cv shows that all their experience is linked to their degree.

An example of a complex application would be somebody who did a degree in say economics and law and then went to work in their family business as a general manager.  Now they are trying to squeeze their study and experience into the category for business analyst because they have looked at the skills list for Oz and there are not many business analysts applying so they think that would be a good category to go for.

Without the advice of an experienced agent, the above complex application could go wrong and cost a lot of money.  The agent will have experience with many many previous applicants to know that the best category to go for would be xyz and not the one you thought would work.

• Like 1

we initially were going to use an agent but a friend of my husbands (who is also a lawyer) had done the visa process on his own and advised my husband to do the same. All the information is on the DIAC website so I guess a little homework is necessary. Our case was straight forward no medical issues to deal with or complicate the matter. We got our visa fairly quickly and I am not sure if dealing with an agent would necessarily speed up the process. There are some good agents recommended on this forum so I would stick to those if you fo go down that route. If not make yourself familiar with the website and get your documents ready. My husband found it very easy to do online albeit a little time consuming. It all depends on your individual case and ofcourse if you have time to do it yourself. You can save alot of money if you do it yourself but make sure all documents are correct. ?

Thank you for all the advice :):):) 

I have read the relevant websites and it seems basic enough, but I am not sure if my case is straight forward, as I spoke to Reuven from migrate to Oz, he said we would have to go through the state sponsorship for Adelaide and the 85 point system. I am a Biokineticist, and that's not on the skills list at this stage. 

Andrew Kerr from networkmigration said I would be able to get state sponsorship into Queensland and Melbourne, but it turns out the codes he used for my profession have actually been given another code and that won't be possible. 

Given that it would be a state sponsorship into Adelaide, does that make it more complex? 

MichSA,

Dont drop coin on an agent just yet. Do some more research mate. and if you do use an agent, based on what you wrote, I would avoid Mr. Kerr. No offence Mr. Kerr. Second thing, it is obvious you followed up on the codes he gave you and they were wrong, which means you are quite capable of following instructions. there is a VERY detailed checklist on the DIBP website, follow it and unless your case has complications as others above have pointed out, it is a cinch to do. 

In the end if you do decide to use an agent, use one of the ones recommended on this forum, they are legends in their own lunchtimes. Stevo (SD_MOA) of Migration Outcomes or Tee Taylor of TeeTMI are both very well regarded here. 

Let us know how you go, we are all barracking (shouting) for you from Aus! :P:D

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 1

SurferMan,

I am also a newbie going the agent route, and will also seek advice with more than one agent.  

May I be so bold as to ask why you would avoid Mr Kerr?

Hi Skapie, 

Just a hunch, he gave this information to MichSA, agents should be on top of their game. 

12 hours ago, MichSA said:

Andrew Kerr from networkmigration said I would be able to get state sponsorship into Queensland and Melbourne, but it turns out the codes he used for my profession have actually been given another code and that won't be possible. 

Given that it would be a state sponsorship into Adelaide, does that make it more complex? 

Edited by SurferMan

thanks again! I have decided for the time being to attempt the process myself.... WISH ME LUCK PLEASE! :)

When I apply for the skills assessment, should I allow a representative to act on my behalf? this is below one of the forms on the website:

Do you authorise an agent or representative to act for you in all matters concerned with this application?

You've just said you are going it alone so won't need that part. 

Edited by RYLC

There is another option that is to use an agent just for the skills assessment bit and then do the rest yourself - can be handy if your experience and your qualification are not exactly aligned.  I cant stress enough though use a recommended agent.  There are many idiots who set themselves us with fancy sounding names and migration agent businesses but their advice and commitment to seeing the job through can be rather dicey.  The agents who participate on here put their opinion and advice out there day after day so you can check out whether they know their stuff or not.   

Edited by Mara
Replaced advertise with participate, which they do, tenfold!