No father details on Unabridged Certificate

MarkA

Question

Hi,

My wife recently received her unabridged birth certificate and her fathers details to not appear on it, as her parents were never married.

Is this going to be a problem? She is 30 years old.

9 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that unabridged birth certificates are NOT required for adults.  They are only required for children so that both the parents identities can be confirmed.

I have had many adult clients who have not had any birth certifcate and this has not been a problem.

I hope this helps.

Regards

• Like 2

Regardless of whether her parents were married or not there needs to be a father on the certificate.

When your wife filled in the forms did she fill in his details. if not she will need to go back they may want to to fill in a late notice of birth form like i had to when they told me there is no record of my birth.

if she did fill it in she will need to contact the call centre or go on the website and find the email address of the branch manager where she applied. 

scan the certificate and send it to him with her fathers details.

full name 

ID

birthday

place of birth.

to be sure that they put the details in the right place. give them her details as well

structure the details like this

child

firstname

surname (must be her maiden name)

ID

birthday

place of birth

mother

firstname

surname

maiden name

ID

birthday

place of birth

father

firstname

surname

ID

birthday

place of birth

hope this helps.

good luck on everything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mara said:

Come on guys, the person that said it is only needed for children, is a registered migration agent of many years standing.... and you think he is wrong?

You cannot magically add a name to a birth certificate, if the original certificate did not have a fathers name on it, then you would have to jump through hoops and have the actual fathers permission, to have it added first. Then you would have to reapply!

Mara,

The posts are out of synch. Stephen replied a couple hours after Knoxfamily answered, but his answer was bumped as the most useful, pushing it to the top, so it looks that Knoxfamily is saying it post Stephens comment, if that makes sense?

Unless you've deleted comments that were posted since Stephens response (which was/is very insightful, thank you!)

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mara said:

You cannot magically add a name to a birth certificate, if the original certificate did not have a fathers name on it, then you would have to jump through hoops and have the actual fathers permission, to have it added first. Then you would have to reapply!

Hi Mara,

If that were the case I would have van schalkwyk as my father (bio father, parents were married) 

Father died when I was young, mom remarried dixon who adopted me

When applying I left the parents blank, the person asked me why do I think I was a miracle. I said should they have it on the system. 

He said no fill in what you want on the certificate. they still got it wrong as my married name turned up somehow as my name and then my mother had my maiden name dixon and not her maiden name.

I still have copies of the certificate and the application forms. after they stamped it i took it to make copies so i had proof of what was sent.

they even said the could not find my birth record. fill in more forms. even signed an affidavit as myself saying i was there at my birth and i can prove my mother gave birth to me.

it was accepted and still came back wrong.

If an agent says its NOT needed then it is Not needed.

it was requested of me and my agent said it is needed.

It would be handy to have in case it is needed for anything else.

To my understanding, when you are adopted, your birth record is changed to show your adopted father. That is what happened with my son, anyway. I also have copies of his first birth certificate.

Sort by Date does wonders for the understanding of these question threads as conversations. ;) 

It's a good question though. I wonder why so many of us believe that a UBC is a requirement for adults? Did the rules change at some point, or is it just one of those strange things where it starts as: Do it in case. and becomes: Oh, you have to have that.

Come on guys, the person that said it is only needed for children, is a registered migration agent of many years standing.... and you think he is wrong?