Brigt

Question

Hi,

I'm  hoping to find a South African lawyer that has immigrated - because of my age (43), I need points for post qualification experience to get to the required 60 points for an independent skilled visa. I have been working as an attorney admitted in South Africa for the past 17 years. I have found a migration agent but I have a question that they don't know the answer to either apparently. Basically, does one get points for all work experience gained in your profession post qualifying in South Africa or is it only work experience obtained post getting a positive skills assessment from the Australian Legal Board. Would be very grateful if someone has the answer or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much,

Brigit

1 answer to this question

Brigt your South African experience counts towards your points. So basically you will get points for the 17 years that you have worked in your profession. You should get the maximum points for this. I am not quite sure why your migration agent would not advise you of this as its a simple question.My husband is a lawyer and requalified and is now working in Melbourne. We did the visa process ourselves, very easy to do online. If your migration agent did not know this I would advise seeking assistance elsewhere or save yourself some money and do it yourself. If you need any more information feel free to pm me. Best of luck with everything ?

Edited by Guest