Trying to find the right VISA to work in Australia??

AndyF

Question

Hi All

I may have the opportunity to do some work in Australia for an Australian family from next year July/Aug. I will be there for max 12 months.

Please can someone assist me with the kind of VISA I should be aiming to get and how I can go about getting it. I see there is a VISA 600, is this correct?

Also, I want my partner to come with. Does this just complicate matters?

Any advice is welcome.

Regards

7 answers to this question

In order to work in Australia, for a limited time, you would usually get a 457 visa. This is complicated by the fact that the employer has to submit a request to immigration and state why his business needs to employ someone from overseas. There is a lot of red tape involved in this. It will also depend on the work that you will be doing for them.

If you were thinking of a student/travel/work permit, if you are travelling on a South African passport you are not eligible for the visa.

A visa 600 is a tourist visa and under no circumstances are you allowed to work in Australia on a visitor's visa.

Perhaps if you give us a bit more information, we may be able to give you more clarity.

Also, if you go look on the government website they actually have a "Visa finder" that should point you in the right direction, and then you can start reading about them there. 

@ Red Panda

Unfortunately, to my knowledge working holiday visas are not available to South Africans.

Oh dear, so it seems like it will be hard for me because I am South African. I have heard of the 457 visa. 

There is a family in Currumbin who are willing to have me as their Aupair for at least 6months. The lady suggested the Visa 600.  I also do have science qualifications in Biochemistry and Microbiology.

My brother and his wife have just recently immigrated to the Gold Coast. They received the 6year working visa but obviously I'm not looking to go for that long.

I know that there are Working Holiday visas, but I don't know what the conditions are.

24 minutes ago, Mara said:

@ Red Panda

Unfortunately, to my knowledge working holiday visas are not available to South Africans.

Oh! What a pity.

If you are happy to undertake study at the same time, you might be to look at the student visas to see if they may suit your needs. International student fees can be high.