Feta Cheese

Kanniewagnie

What feta cheese do you get here that tastes like 'good old' Simonsberg- varieties back 'home'?

Now for the life of me I can't remember what Simonsberg tastes like!

We opt for the Danish feta generally, as it is not as salty or chalky as many of the Greek fetas.  But it is very smooth, so probably not as crumbly as the Simonsberg feta.

• Like 2

Mmm, to be honest, there is nothing quite like the Simonsberg feta here, probably because almost none of the fetas come in salty water like in RSA.  I bought the Dondoni one for years, its bigger size container looks like a white butter tub and its in salty water.  Then I figured out that the feta at the deli counter is miles cheaper than the pre packaged stuff.  We now get the Danish at the deli counter and everyone is happy.  

• Like 2

The one at the deli is cheeper, but it goes bad quickly.  I don't use it every day, but when I want to use it and it's not in the fridge, it's a frustration, so the feta in the salty water is ideal, because it lasts longer. I'll look out for Dondoni, thank you.

Now I just have to get hamburger and hotdog rolls that's soft and light.  The ones here are so dry and heavy!  I tried the ones you bake for 5 min, the ones at the bakery next to Woolworths in Whitfords and in Warwick.  The closest so far ( and it still is far from Checkers buns) are the Tip-top ones.

Edited by Kanniewagnie

22 hours ago, Kanniewagnie said:

Now I just have to get hamburger and hotdog rolls that's soft and light. 

Maybe this is a Perth problem because Coles has very light soft rolls here in Adelaide.  I'll look out for the brand name next time I shop and let you know.

• Like 1

I went to Coles today and when I saw the Feta prizes, I decided to put the Dondoni on my "some other day-list", so I bought the $3 Coles Danish block and I've cut it up in little squares, and packed it flat in a plastic bag so I can take a few out at a time as needed.  I don't know how it will freeze, but I guess we'll find out soon.  It tastes good, very smooth and you guessed:  tonight we're having a Greek salad!!

• Like 1

The Danish feta from the deli lasts us a week or two, just wrap again after each use.  I am a "anything and everything about Greece" fan, so a Greek Village salad is very high on my list of things to get just right.  Can I tell you what the secret is, keep your tomatoes outside the fridge.  I take the cucumber out of the fridge too, for a good hour before I cut it up.  Nothing as bad as a ice cold tomato where you cant taste it properly.  Try it.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2kg bucket of Riverina feta - in the salty water - a little while ago at our local Woolies - yummy and so convenient having it in the fridge, not that it will last long with the feta-holics in my house!  ;)

• Like 1

I think that it really depends on the price you pay.  Cheap feta is just that whereas the more expensive ones are creamy and delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, the Coles Danish Feta cheese freezes perfectly.  Just take out the amount of blocks needed a few minutes before making the salad and tastes wonderfully fresh!

If you taste proper feta you will never buy the Coles stuff again. I will look up some genuine feta makers for you.