Gyms in Australia

Ramses

Hi All,

When I eventually get to Aus next year I would like to continue training and keeping fit by joining a local gym. Currently training at Virgin Active. Can anyone comment on the various brands of gyms in Aus and the cost of a membership? Facilities? etc

TIA

Depending on the type of fit that you want to keep, remember that there are far more public parks and running/cycling/hiking trails in and around the cities than in RSA, and they are often totally free. Some of them also have outdoor gym equipment (frames and benches). So unless you want weights and maybe some specific exercise equipment you can consider getting fit outside.

Of course if you like a gym that's entirely your choice.

• Like 1

Hi there are lots of gyms in Australia, and there is also Virgin Active (not as big here as in South Africa but growing). Depends on where you will be located as to the type of gym that will be available and the cost.

I'm not a gym bunny, but I remember looking at Good Life gyms and it was about $1000 for a years membership, or $20 a week - I think this is about the same as all the other gyms that offer classes and weights. Some gyms tie you into a minimum period contract but that is loosing appeal and there are more non-contract gyms popping up.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the go is in other areas, but in my town, there are 3 main Recreation/Leisure Centres. These are shire (municipality) run and have a gym, indoor swimming pools, squash courts, basketball court, offer group fitness (pump, yoga, step, spinning etc) and daycare facilities.

My membership is with my local sports centre and it cost me $572 for the year - I opted only for gym access and I go off peak hours so its slightly cheaper. The facilities there are great - can't compare to Virgin Active as I've never been - but I've never had any reason to complain.

There are additionally 4 privately run gyms all within 10 mins of my suburb. Some offer no contracts, some 24 hour access.......

I don't think you will lack for choice - you've just got to decide which type suits you best.

• Like 1

What Red Panda said. Lots of mountain biking around me, surfing, hiking/bush walking, boot camps, pram walking groups, mums/babies with a trainer in a park while a nanny looking after the kids, cricket nets and tennis courts in parks, cardio tennis, etc. There is a 8,4km circular path around a lake close to me. We have a local Virgin Active gym, but most people in my suburb go to a smallish, independent gym. Its $20 a week, has a great creche, Pilates, zumba, body combat, etc, even squash courts.

• Like 1

Hell, yes, apart from selling each other overpriced coffee, fitness is probably the largest Aussie growth industry.

There are all types of gyms all over from women-only gyms (Curves - sexists) ot Boot-camp style workout barns to ....

Anyway up here in Canberra, a big franchise is Lime.

I went to Fit and Fast who advertised weekly access at $7.50, but when I wanted to sign, it was $16 - the surcharge I was told was a guarantee that they would keep their weekly charge at $7.50 as long as I stayed a member. When I asked (sarcastically) "So, you want me to pay an extra $8.50 per week to guarantee me that you will never charge me more than $7.50?", I was told "Yes". "Thank you", I cried, "a plague upon all your houses" as I left through the south gate never to be seen darkening their doorstep again.

The previous sentence may be a trifle exaggerated, but the kernel is true.

Check everything.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thank you all so much for your responses and personal experiences. It is fantastic to know that I will be spoilt for choice when it comes to training/gym options. As I will be using the gym/outdoor training to keep my mind occupied as I will be moving over all by myself. So I will definitely need some sort of distraction. As well as continuing with training for marathons and triathlons.  I really like the idea of weekly membership options as I was never really a fan of Virgin Active's annual contract!! The local community recreation/leisure centres sound like good options too. I'm sure Adelaide (my future home city) will have some fantastic options.

Have a good weekend ALL!!

• Like 1