Suburbs close to the CBD

Samlavis

Please can anyone offer some advice on suburbs. We arrived in Melbourne from Perth on Tuesday and I am struggling to find rental accomodation. I currently have three options available to me being, Hawthorn East, Parkville and Newport. I have a 14 year old daughter and 18 year old. My son will be attending university of Melbourne so my main concern is a suburb that will offer decent public schooling for my daughter.

Any advice on the above suburbs would be most appreciated?

That close to the city center could be pretty difficult and expensive. Hawthorn East is a lovely suburb, but I cannot give advice on schools, I do hope there is a forum member that can assist you.

You can have a look at Brighton, Hampton East, St kilda East, depending on what you would want to spend. Do you want to go Public or Private school. There is quite a bit of trams into the city, access to the Universities. We live in Alfred Park which is just a hop skip and jump into the CBD via tram.