SA Shops in Melbourne

Mel4Mike

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if there are any South African shops in Melbourne? And where?

Thx

I've heard it mentioned that Aldi's periodically do South African themed sales, with things like Mrs Ball's chutney going really cheap. But I don't know anything else. I'll probably wisen up once there.

Mel4Mike,

There are two in Melbourne..

The Shebeen Coffee shop

Traditional & Kosher South Africa products

Address:

461 Hawthorn Road

Caufield South,

Melways Ref: 67K6

Tel:

+61 (03) 9523 7633

+61 (03) 9523 7644

Email: Monibs@bigpond.com

The South African shop

Traditional South African Products

Deli, Groceries & Beverages

Address: Shop 7&8 Upper Level Templestowe Village Shopping Centre,

112 James Street

Templestowe 3106,

Melways Ref: 33D4

Tel: + 61 (03) 98468322

Fax: +61 (03) 9846 8344

Email: Monibs@bigpond.com

Anything else you want to know just ask..

We noticed Biltong was so expensive that we now make our own..

Thanks

• Like 2

Thx you guys, much appreciated- we went there today and got some stuff.........like mielie meel

• Like 1

If you go to a health food shop, ask them if they stock Kialla Pure Foods Maize Meal (organic), it is produced in Queensland, yellow mealie meal, delicious, and it has not spent time on the seas to get here, so very fresh! We have used it for around the last 16 years. When I buy, I usually get around 4 x 5kg bags (yes it comes in bags), we wrap them in about 4 plastic bags each and put them in the freezer. When we get to the last one, it would be about 2years old, and tastes like the first one did.

Unfortunately they do not sell direct to the public but their website will give you the name of a provider close to you. Not all the providers carry the stock, they may have to order it in for you, so be prepared.

Here is a link to their website:

http://kiallafoods.com.au/product/organic-maize-meal-yellow/

• Like 1

Also check out your local deli - ours stock delicious biltong and droewors. As well as nitrite free bacon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 24 Hour Coles in Elsternwick has a small permanent SA section. Also, the Foodworks in Caulfield South (Corner Hawthorn Rd and Glen Huntly Rd) has a small permanent SA section.

As above the Coles in Elsternwick, and it is potentially worth asking if your local Coles can order as some will (just not managed to get my new local one to yet).

Aldi has a RSA specials week on a regular basis

There was someone with a shop in Werribee but I'm not sure if it is still going?

The 2 South African Shops listed earlier are two outlets belonging to the same company. Aldi do occasionally have SA goods as part of their special buys - but not that often There are some butchers that produce biltong and boerewors, and deliver to your home. (We order for the extended family - so usually > $100 order , and free delivery.) Not sure if I should openly advertise on their behalf here (not that I have any commercial assocation with them) - but inbox me if you want details - biltong @ $39.90 per kilo - which from memory - is quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere

Our nearest Coles permanently stocks niknaks, droewors, Niltong, aromas and a variety of other essentials.

I have found it is cheaper and easier to make my own rusks. Semolina replaces Tastywheat and some of the market butchers do "special South African sausage".

• Like 1

There is also a discount store in Benteligh (near the rail crossing) that often has RSA products - although often out of date.

At the fish and chip shops Barracuda = Snoek

At the fish and chip shops Barracuda = Snoek

SNOEK!!! :D

You've made my day.

Edited by RedPanda
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07 November 2015 02:47:53, Mel4Mike said:

Thx you guys, much appreciated- we went there today and got some stuff.........like mielie meel

Lol lekker pap & wors huh hehehe

• 3 years later...

HR quality foods in sanctuary lakes - in Melbourne’s west - although an Indian grocer, they have a HUGE range of South African products. It’s crazy. My partner and I couldn’t believe we stumbled across it by mistake. 

Tonys Butcher opened 2 doors down from there too. So Sanctuary Lakes is a South Africa one stop shop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2015 at 9:39 AM, Mara said:

If you go to a health food shop, ask them if they stock Kialla Pure Foods Maize Meal (organic), it is produced in Queensland, yellow mealie meal, delicious, and it has not spent time on the seas to get here, so very fresh! We have used it for around the last 16 years. When I buy, I usually get around 4 x 5kg bags (yes it comes in bags), we wrap them in about 4 plastic bags each and put them in the freezer. When we get to the last one, it would be about 2years old, and tastes like the first one did.

Unfortunately they do not sell direct to the public but their website will give you the name of a provider close to you. Not all the providers carry the stock, they may have to order it in for you, so be prepared.

Here is a link to their website:

http://kiallafoods.com.au/product/organic-maize-meal-yellow/

Thanks Mara. Any idea if anyone stocks white mealies?

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2019 at 9:09 AM, ellyelly said:

HR quality foods in sanctuary lakes - in Melbourne’s west - although an Indian grocer, they have a HUGE range of South African products. It’s crazy. My partner and I couldn’t believe we stumbled across it by mistake. 

Tonys Butcher opened 2 doors down from there too. So Sanctuary Lakes is a South Africa one stop shop.

It's just very disappointing that all the shops in Sanctuary lakes are open on a Sunday except for Tony's. We only shop at HR quality foods and support the local butcher Li with his boerewors, which is spot on! The droewors takes lovely too.