Confused, still deciding - getting things started . . .

PJOlivier

Hi guys I've just joint.

As in the heading we (wife , 2boys and yours truly) are very confused with our current situation here in SA. I am a farmer, family business 3rd generation - the 4th is 2 and 4 years old. We haven't decided yet, but we have started with things like unabridge birth certificates etc. It is just difficult to see a future for the boys and even us in the current political/financial climate.

Any support or inspirational thoughts will be greatly appreciated. We need to stabilize our current financial position and for that huge decisions need to be made. We trust that God has planned our path long before we even thought about it.

What would you guys say should be done next - have done some visa points test, but none official.

Thats all for now !

Kudos on getting started, regardless of which route you use, unabridged birth certificates of the whole family(gesin) will be needed. And they can sometimes take time to get out of DHA!

I can't offer any information about immigrating as a bonafide farmer, but I wish the family we have on farms would do it. I'm sure someone on the forum will either have information for you, or otherwise you can talk to one of the migration agents here, TeeTMI and SD_MOA.

I wish you all the best with your process and 'sterkte'! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Welcome PJ, I do hope that all goes well for you. Do take Red Panda's advice and connect with one of the emigration agents, they are usually quite happy to do an assessment for you, free of charge, of your chances of getting a visa for Australia.

Hey guys, luckily for me I married right - my wife is a General accountant with almost 5 years UK experience.

I've got a Sport Science degree and have work in various industries been farming for 5 years.

My wifes qualification with work eperience will give her higher points for the 189 visa, but it would be best to make contact with an agent to do the initial asessment.

Thanks RedPanda and Mara for the advise and replies.

• Like 2

Hey,

I am going to assume you are Christian. It sounded like that from your pozt.

God rewards people who listen to him. God has obviously put the thought of Aussie into your life for a reason. So, pray about it and eventually God will let you know what is best for you and your family.

Remember the vast majority of South Africans who move to Aussie never leave. That's from government statistics.

The South Africans I speak to are very happy living in Australia. Sure you don't have a maid. But in Sydney we go down to the Domain each year. That's a park in the heart of the CBD. They put on Christmas carols. One of the bands is even for young children. Santa arrives and all the kids cheer. "Carols in the Domain" is packed out every year. People camp out from early mornint and its an evening show!

Would you take a 3 year old to JHB city centre at night to go hand around in a park?! No!

• Like 2

PJOlivier,

With Monsta on this one, I have regularly shareed my own experiences and we funnily enough were in a similar situation, my wife is an accountant with 10 years experience, we came in on Spousal Visa as it was the cheapest option, but she would have easily qualified for a 189 and we came over with two children, aged 2 & 4.

We prayed about, God went ahead of us and we found a local Church before arriving, connected with them, the Pastor & his wife, who were invaluable with with getting us connected in the community, school and in our serving them through hosting a weekly community group and in the weekly service.

We came with the idea that it would be 2-years, but we can't see ourselves moving back there after experiencing Sydney first hand and the freedom we have as well as the options our children have here that they wouldn't in South Africa. We've quickly made friends and feel very much part of the community and city at large.

All the best with the journey.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Hi PJ,

Everyone on this Forum had a good reason for leaving South Africa and coming to Australia. And I would venture to suggest that we all have one thing in common... we have all seen the writing on the wall for SA's future.

You seem equally concerned - as you should be with two young children to raise - and your "common sense" is urging you consider your situation. But as a Christian, you are even more blessed by having the Holy Spirit to guide you through the difficult decisions of Life. Thus you need to recognise, take cognescence of, and be obedient to His still, quiet voice within you. Even better, you have the assurance that even though you make life-changing plans trusting, but not fully knowing, whether these are part of His plan for your life, God will redirect your course where necessary. (See Proverbs 16:9). That is what Faith is all about!

• Like 2

We struggled for some time with our decision to go to Australia - guilt especially was a hard one, as most family and friends seemed very content here in SA (less now than when we started this process 6 years ago). After speaking to pastors and soul searching and praying about it, we have come to realise that discontent can be put in your heart, an idea gets seeded and grows in your heart. This is for a reason. If you belong somewhere else, and you yearn to move THEN JUST DO IT! :) We are not trees, we can move.

Many people had us believe that we were not Christian enough (why are you scared - just pray for safety). But the Bible is full of God's people that were told to leave when the heat got too much.

Anyhow there are about a few hundred reasons why such a move is a GREAT idea, and very few reasons to stay. Well one reason to stay - family. The rest of anything is replaceable.

Good luck with this journey. For me the hardest part was actually HAVING a visa in my pocket and being stuck with a house that took long to sell. So my advise would be that if you are committed to this route, start prepping and selling now. It took me 3 months to sell my furniture and excess goods off for fair prices. And that could only happen after the house was sold - so all in all it took long.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

• Like 2

If you get a free assessment please use one of the agents on our forum. We have no association with them but they have proved themselves to be trustworthy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - will be going to Cape Town next weekend and got bookings for PTE - Academic, practice practice practice. Any advice ??

Will apply for our new passports on this trip - boys as well !

Made contact with a forum agent.

Still confused but not really about the decision to go.

Anyone in Regional Queensland - Darling Downs ?

Great news! Unfortunately I don't live in Queensland.

Just another thought in your situation. I had a chat with my pastor one day. He joked and said that clean toilets matter because the same God is also at the church down the road.

Sometimes pastors say what they need to say because it fills chairs on a Sunday morning. It's super hard to stick to your beliefs when nobody pitches up on a Sunday and there is nobody to pay your salary ? Sometimes pastors even take the popular points of view without realising it ?

So remember your pastor is only human and that only God has the answers ?

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

We struggled with the decision for years, but as our daughter got older, it got a lot easier. Friends of ours went through the same, said they'd never move, but when their kids hit their teens, they packed up and left.

Remember that you will have a window of 5 years to make up your mind if you get Permanent Residence, and that there will be a lot of back and forth...

It's entirely normal to be undecided.

But it also feels good to know that you have a plan B.

• Like 1

Hi PJ. I live in Central Queensland (CQ as it's known locally). Farming, at the moment, is probably a big no as the whole CQ region is in a severe drought condition. There was a programme on Channel 7 this morning about the farmers plight in Longreach (Outback Queensland Town) and how they are trying to survive the drought. Apparently it has been the longest, most severe drought in the last 20 years. The rain season is about to start and everybody is hoping for substantial rain. So having something to initially rely on for an income, before considering farming, will be necessary. I don't know in what condition the other states are in, as far as farming is concerned.

Hi Peter, thanks for the advice - being a farmer a know drought. SA is also having a bad year with rain. We live one of the driest parts of SA.

We are still in the process so we belief that by the time - maybe next year when we hope to go that the country have had good rains.

Do you like QLD or CQ, is it like country side ?

PJ

Hi PJ. I love it here. On average 300 days of sunshine a year. Always warm. Lovely beaches along the coast (although further up north they aren't good for swimming due to mainly Saltwater Crocs and Jellyfish). Lots of open spaces in the Outback. QLD is bigger than SA. Most of the population in QLD is along the coast, as you get further inland it becomes a lot more spread out. You spend a lot of time on the road if you live outside the bigger towns due to the distances between towns. Rockhampton (I stay near there) to Brisbane is a 6 hour drive (about 600km). In QLD you will find everything from Tropical Rainforests in the North to desert in the Outback to beautiful coastlines. Very similar to SA, just bigger and safer.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I am back haha !  Just an update of what happened the last year and more.  In September 2015 we did Pearson English test – not getting the score we needed we changed our focus to NZ.  We got to a point where we were about to make a final decision.  In the end we decided not to go ahead - but that we would review our situation in 5 years time.

I decided to keep my exposure to news and media to the minimum – in a certain way we were trying to isolate ourselves from reality.  My in-laws are, like us, farmers and lives in the Eastern Cape.  In August 2016 their neighbour and best friend was shot dead one Sunday evening.  That had a big affect on them, and bringing back memories, since my father in law was in a farm shooting in 2003.  The police didn’t do much to solve the murder.  The people responsible were part of a stock theft syndicate.  The stock theft and smuggling is never ending en as is dodgy cars driving around during the night. 

The last few months my wife became very worried about her parents.  The increase numbers of farmers being killed all over SA not helping.  To the point where we asked each other if we made the right decision to stay. 

The situation concerning farm killings, land reform and new legislation where the government can take your farm if you don’t agree to sell at their price doesn’t sit well - even more when people in government make disturbing statements about it.

Then last week my brother in law told us the news:  They are going to immigrate to Oz.  He knows a guy who offered him a job in NSW area.  My father in law will immediately rent his land and move to a safer area in SA – probably Southern Cape.  Might even try to get them there ones the kids are settled.

At first my wife was shocked, because when we were planning to leave a year or more back her brother was trying to convince us not to leave.  But with everything that happened the last year no one can blame them.

This have put the thoughts regarding our plans back into motion.  My brother in law said that he will be able to arrange jobs for us ones they are there since guy he knows owns several farms and businesses.

The question we asked ourselves is where to now?  We will wait for brother in law to “split the red sea”.  With job offer/offers EOI s and Visa should be easier – we think ?  Then time will tell!

We still believe that the Holy Spirit will lead us to make the right decisions and that we will end up in a place that was determine even before we were born.

I know it is a long story, but if you are still reading you might have some advice or can relate to some parts.  Feel free to comment and share any thoughts and advice !  We are still deciding and we are still confuse !!

• Like 2

Wow, what a turn of events. I feel for the farmers and are secretly relieved that I dont have a family farm in RSA resting on my shoulders and mind.

You will have to take professional advice from Stephen or Tee (as Red Panda suggested up top^) as to visa options and current rules. Because, since you last checked, things have gotten more difficult to get into Aus. It does so ALL THE TIME! Thats why I would suggest you talk to them ^ and get moving with your application (if you still qualify) independently and as soon as possible! Do not wait for a (very well meaning) promise from your BIL, as you may just miss the boat. They have been talking for a while about removing accountants from the skills list.  If it was me, I would also join a facebook group called Aussiekaners and ask advice from the farmers on there. They are a helpful bunch.  Good luck and make a move! 

• Like 2

Hi PJ

Me, my wife and 2 young ones have lodged EOI two days ago for 189 visas. My sister and her family have also started their journey to aus. We are still working on my mum and dad, she would move in a heartbeat but he says he is staying here, though we have his blessing to go. My brother and his family also want to leave, but he is refusing if our parents dont go either. I am praying that dad will have a change of heart. We are a close knit family, all of us staying in the same small town in mpumalanga (shout out to ermelo?)

My in-laws are farmers  about 40 km out of town. We have told them of our plans a long time ago, but for some reason they didn't really take us seriously until fairly recently. For a long time we have not been comfortable visiting them on the farm. We still went there, but I always had my pistol on me and we could never relax. Too often while we were there at night me and father in law had to drive out into the field as there was movement at his flocks, thus leaving our wives and my kids alone in the house. A couple of years ago they had an armed break in while they had guests sleeping over. By grace no one was physically hurt. 

The factors you mentioned about the state of farming has become too much for us recently. My father in law also has quite a bit of trouble with the farm workers and other living on his farm (being told that your farm "does not belong to you" by the people you employ seems to me as a cause for concern, not to mention the amount of stock theft). Yesterday my wife told her mum via whatsapp that we are no longer up to it to bring the kids out to the farm. They are welcome to come and visit us in town, but we will no longer be going there. This lead to many tears from my wife, she is heartbroken by this situation of having to hurt her own parents. She loves her family and the farm dearly, that is where she was raised. We have not heard back from them since, despite repeated attempts from our side. This situation has obviously created great emotional turmoil for them, so I understand them needing time before they can speak to us. That farm is their life and livelihood. The feeling of rejection must be awful.

The country is staring down a major crisis revolving around farming and the land issue. I don't know whether the politicians in power and the police would even be able to contain this monster which seems to have been bubbling up for many years now. Even if they really cared, which I'm not sure they do. Having family members part of this situation is terrible. I wish my in-laws would be brave and smart enough to make the same decision as yours. It is NOT the easy way out, as many others like to tell people who uproot themselves from everything they know and face a completely uncertain future. It takes some serious guts and, for most of us, a lot of faith. 

So me and my wife will be heading to oz, knowing that our parents will in all probability die here in south africa (hopefully peacefully) with us half a world away. That is the scariest part for me, personally, not being there for my parents in their hour of need after all the blessing we have received from them for so many years. It hurts just to think about it. 

But the thought of having something similar happening to my kids than the things people are sharing on facebook these days is too much for me to swallow. We have lost our firstborn daughter a month after birth due to an unknown disease during pregnancy. I don't know how we will survive losing another child, especially due to violence when we had plenty of warning time to get away from here. It is becoming blatantly clear that there are many, many people that simply do not want us here. People with little to no respect for life. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I think I needed to voice these feelings that have been gnawing on my insides for a long time. Since my decision to emigrate (moving out of my country) has been made, I decided to not focus on the negative things I want to get away from and start focusing on the awesome, scary adventure of the new and unknown with my family. I made a conscious decision to rather focus on immigrate (moving into a new country). Negativity vented, back to positivity and, inevitably, the waiting....

Please allow me a little more time to voice one more opinion (which is exactly that: an opinion. Please don't crucify me for having one that may be different to yours). Yes the Holy Spirit does guide us, and yes God does know exactly which decisions we will make in our lives. But He does not make them for us, we have a great gift from Him: Free will. He allows us the freedom to make our own choices. We can only make them on the limited knowledge at our disposal. We do not know the future. He does, but not us. In some limited situations He allows some of us a peek into that future, but that is not the norm. WE have to make those decisions based on our own current knowledge. I hope and pray and believe we have made a good one for our family.

• Like 7

@Karools, I can applaud the way you have put into words what many, well, certainly I, feel.  Your words have brought tears to my eyes.  Because I recognize my own emotions in them.

This is not the easy way out. This is really, really difficult; leaving loved ones behind, both family and friends; deciding to let go of everything one has built up over many years - careers, homes, possessions... to start all over again with very little, but especially to leave ones homeland, and everything we know, to start again in a foreign country is highly testing to ones resolve and it would just be so much easier to just not do this; this takes courage and perseverance.

I have no doubt some will be called to stay, while some will be called to go.  Discerning this calling is important, and then one has to work tirelessly toward that calling.  We must also remember that the purpose of this calling may not even be for us, or even for our children's sake, there may be a reason a future generation must be "not here".  I personally draw strength from this, knowing that my grandchildren and great-grandchildren will speak about there grandmother and grandfather who came over from Africa to give them a better life. Yes and only the Father knows if this will be the case.  We may never truly know the impact of this decision on future generations.  He sees the end result of both paths, staying and going.  So if called to go, then have faith and go.  He will go ahead and make your paths straight...!

• Like 4

Well said Karools.  It is the hardest thing to leave on so many levels but like most of us, we do it for our future.

If it is any help at all, my father in law was also adamant that they would not move. So I sent him a book called When A Crocodile Eats The Sun by Peter Godwin about the situation in Zimbabwe where a journalist had moved to the UK and what it was like for his parents left behind.  How he visited and tried to help but couldn't because even having money didn't help when there were no groceries in the shops.  This book changed father in law's ideas COMPLETELY and they have been settled here for going on 9 years now.  It is possible to move an immovable object. 

• Like 3

When I'm faced with a difficult decision I always ask myself (for each scenario - in this case, stay or go...)

"What's the worst that could happen and could I live with that"?

Should put things into perspective pretty quickly.

All the best!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Riekie said:

"What's the worst that could happen and could I live with that"?

This is going to come in handy once we're in Aus missing family and friends!

• Like 2