Introduction and our Long Journey to Aus

MyAusJourneyIB

So this isn't my first post but it the first time I am introducting myself and giving a bit of background to our situation.

We decided in October of 2013 that it was a good idea to maybe start investigating the whole process of immigrating to Aus.

I have to be completely honest that prior to this I had never thought of immigrating to Aus, for me it was always the US... (everything is big)....

Then a close friend of ours decided to start a new life in Aus with her family and all of a sudden Australia was on my radar....

Anyway, fast forward to 2014, we decided to go and visit my friend who lives in Sydney... we fell in love.

Our mind was made... Aus it was.

For me it isn't about how much money I can make but rather the quality of life I can have and when I say quality

I mean, the outdoors, the safety.... just to name a few.

Having said that.... we knew the process wasn't going to be as simple as that, my profession is on the SOL but I don't have a degree or diplomas.

So here we are on the journey to get PR, it will be a bumpy ride but I know we will make it.

We had a skype session on the 10th of August with a Migration officer and I have to say it was the best money spent.

In order for my experience to be worth anything I need to either 1.) Get an IT Diploma through RPL.... Which won't work for me or 2.) get a Microsoft Cerficiation...(MCSE)

So knowing what I need to do.....

We have an 18month goal to submit our EOI... so let the journey begin.

Pearsons test booked - Check

Microsoft certification decided on - Check

"Someone once told me, not to bite off more than I can chew. I told them, I would rather choke on greatness - than nibble on mediocrity!"

Cheers to everyone else on this life changing journey, may you be successful and never give up.

"even though we don't have the power to choose where we came from, we always have the power to choose where we go from here" - Daveswordsofwisdom.com

Edited by LillyL
  • Like 8

Well said! I hope you the best of luck with your endeavours!

Hey,

Remember the qualification isn't a beball and end all. For the Aussie government its some kind of independent verification that you know how to do your job. Yes, they are covering their butts a but.

So, just go with the flow. Aussie is full of rules, regulations and penalties (aka nanny state). But they generally mean that everyone has a better time living together.

Wish you the best on your journey!

• Like 1

@Monsta bring on the Nanny state. Where Aus is too strict SA is the complete opposite.

@Lilyl The traffic lights were out at a busy intersection today. Sure, unlike South Africa there were workmen trying to fix it. But, unlike all the Aussie drivers, I knew exactly what to do!

But on a more serious note. You will learn to play the system when you get here. For example, you might drive to the suburb over and catch a bus from there. I have suggested several times to shop around for a good bulk billed GP. Bulk Billed means Medicare picks up 100% of the cost. You even need to shop around for your banking services. Those little fees can add up to thousands over a few years!

@Lilyl The traffic lights were out at a busy intersection today. Sure, unlike South Africa there were workmen trying to fix it. But, unlike all the Aussie drivers, I knew exactly what to do!

:D can't wait to live in a place where people don't know what to do at a dead traffic light!

Wishing you well on your exciting journey, it will be totally worth it, I'm sure of it (and I'm not even there yet!)

• Like 1