Hourly Rate - Not paid for Lunch Hour

Riekie

Is it right that a person working @ an hourly rate does not get paid for their lunch hour (which they MUST take)?

Dis heeltemal reg Riekie, ek kon dit ook nie eers verstaan het nie, maar ja, ek werk 8.5 uur dag, maar word net betaal vir 7.5, al vat ek net 'n 30min lunch.

Groete

D

Klink nogal woes.

Vat dan maar `n uur lunch en rus ordentelik.

I've only been paid for the hours of work and not for lunch breaks here in Aus. If I remember correctly, it was the same for hourly paid staff in SAfrica (correct me please if I'm wrong).

In Sydney, most contract rates are flat daily rates, so if you work more than the 8 hour working day plus a lunch time, you are not paid for it. Even if you are paid hourly, (which is not common) and you work more than the 8 hours, you are still not paid for it. Companies in SAfrica definitely did not work this way. I can only speak for working in the IT industry though.

SAS

Hi All

Yes this is true for South Africa too. If you work on a hourly rate then you don't get paid for your lunch period compulsory or not.

I hope this makes you feel better.

Cheers

Rudi

Yup - and it was the same in the UK as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Much changed with the Industrial Relations (IR) laws that came into force about this time lastyear.

Some people did not notice much changes in their conditions, while others were really sent through the wringer, e.g. they lost things like overtime pay, weekend pay, etc in exchange for very nominal raises in hourly rates. The hardest hit were young employees (especially in the fast food industry) or casual hourly paid workers.

One do not hear much of it in daily conversations, as the middle/top ends of town are relatively unscathed for the time being.

Don't know what it would be like in the long term, maybe the Federal election will have some influence.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax