Possible move from Adelaide to QLD

nicknel

Hi All

I haven't been on the forum for some time, life gets busy whilst having fun!

Its been 10 months since we moved to Aus and we are loving every bit. But there is no work in my hubby's field in Adelaide, and sadly so many companies are closing down so good jobs are limited to none.

We started doing research at where most work is in my hubbys field and we found that QLD is the best place to start looking for something more permanent. We both have jobs, he works through Randstad as a contractor/operator but it is not challenging and not what my husband is good at/love to do and you dont get the perks of being employed permanently so no work no pay kind of thing.

Whe are busy doing research on areas and thought I would ask where most of you stay and why? We know nothing about QLD so any info would really help. Where is the best place to live: Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and why?

We also have a 4 year old so areas with good schools would also help.

Has anyone moved from state to state, can you recommend a good moving company?

Any advise welcome.

Cheers

Hey,

Would it not be a better option looking for work in Queensland from Adelaide before you make the big move?

We had friends in Adelaide who were in the same situation but they only moved to Queensland once they signed the contract and had a job lined up on arrival in Queensland.

You both have jobs in Adelaide (albeit not exactly what you want), but when you arrive in Queensland you will both be unemployed with no income. Something to keep in mind.

We moved from Sydney to Adelaide and found it just a tiring and exhausting as our move from Cape Town to Sydney.

Cheers,

Robbie

Also, have you been to Queensland before?

• Like 1

I see that you landed 31 October 2014 on state sponsorship so you still have to live in Adelaide until 31 October 2016 before you can even consider moving. I don't think it is wise to risk losing your visa now.

Hey Robbie, nice to hear from you again. Jip that's the plan, looking for jobs before we go over. There are so many jobs that he can apply for in those three places at the moment. It might be a little unrealistic for me to believe that we would find jobs in the town we want to live in but I think its worth a shot to do research on some areas we will be interested in and then see if we can find jobs there. You never know....

Nope have never been in QLD, maybe a good Idea to get some info on areas and then go visit for a week to check it out? Have you been there Robbie? What is your verdict?

RYLC we asked our agent in March to see if we can get the state sponsorship restriction on our visa lifted, we can now work and live anywhere in Aus. We have proof that he actively tried to look for jobs in South Aussie.

Hi Nicknel

We left Adelaide 24th July. Hubby got a job offer in USA so we have relocated to Northern California.

Hubby tried to apply for jobs throughout Australia but was told if he didn't live in the area he wouldn't be considered for the job.

Please be careful. Hopefully in your hubby's profession you will be successful.

It was lovely meeting you and your family. Thank you for the items you gave us. We are still waiting for our container!

All the best for the future

Shell

Hey,

Having a job lined up before you move over really takes the weight off your shoulders. That last thing you would want to is walk away from both you guys being employed, to struggling to find a job in a new state in which you have never visited (you dont necessarily like).

You have already moved from SA to Aus and you need to make sure that the move from Adelaide to QLD is the right one else you will find yourself wanting to move again or "slogging it out", or be in a position whereby you get the perfect job but cant stand the climate (its very different to Adelaide).

Lets face it.. every time you move it delays the “settling in” process and delays the feeling of “making somewhere your home”.

I was in Queensland earlier this year, but just found it a little too humid and muggy, but the area and beaches were great.. seemed like a great holiday destination for me (that’s just my opinion on the area I was in for the short stay I was there).

Does your visa allow you to move states?

Cheers,

Robbie

• Like 1

Hey Shell

So nice to hear from you. Oh my word, california USA, WOW, can't believe it. Congrats!!!

I will let you know what happened, it is just so frustrating after 10 months still looking for a permanent job. Will keep trying I guess.

I wish you all the best and please keep in touch.

• Like 1

Thanks Robbie, your right, I think we should go visit QLD before making any drastic discisions. We might not even like it.

Hopefully hubby gets a job in Adelaide before he gets one in QLD so we dont have to make the move.

Its all very frustrating

Back in March we asked our agent if it would be possible to move states as we are struggling to find work in Adelaide and he came back saying yes we can move if we need to.

Yes Nicknel we also heard that if you are moving to another state because you genuinely can't find work it is not a problem so keep proof of all your applications here in Adelaide just in case. Sorry to hear that you may be leaving our beautiful state but times are tough here at the moment and jobs scarce. All the very best.