Introduction :)

RunningBanana

Hi there,

I am new to the forum, very excited / nervous that I have finally made up my mind to immigrate to Oz. I haven't started the application yet, busy doing my research on this forum and the Oz government immigration site but will soon apply in September after my certification exam and busy updating my CV at the moment.

I am thinking of applying for the 189 visa (Skill independent visa) I just have a few questions / concerns:

1. Which passport should I apply with? I was born in Taiwan, but moved to South Africa when I was a child and gotten my citizenship here. So I have two citizenships, is there a difference / bias towards certain country's origin or is it purely on points? Which is easier, because I know that Australian government and Taiwanese government have a special program for working holidays, don't know if it will be easier for the 189 visa too?
  2. I couldn't find a list of immigration agent on the forum, I am picking up here and there that Migrate2Oz and Migration Outcome are pretty helpful, anyone says otherwise?
  3. I am engaged at the moment but we are not living together. Should I apply for myself first or together or wait till we get married next year? Or ship her with the containers :glare:
  4. Finally, I have written the IELTS test about 8 years ago, can I still use it? Also, I have two Australian University Degrees (Bond University), do I still need to write the English exams?

Have a nice day :)

Hi there RunningBanana!
1. dunno

2. no idea, did it myself

3. I suggest you subtly prevent your prospective spouse from joining this forum and reading anything about shipping with containers...until after the wedding(I've heard fighting can spice things up)

4. The IELTS results are only valid for 3 years. After that you have to write them again. (They think you'll forget. Even if you live in England, you still need to rewrite. We had a huge laugh with my sister in law who had to rewrite the test after having taught at a college in London for the years after her first test.) You can probably get the requirement waived because of your degrees, but many people write IELTS anyway, especially if their English is good, because high scores can give you additional points. And depending on your qualification, those points can make a difference in how quickly you get an invite.

Good luck with the process, it's mostly not that difficult, just tedious. And while you're thinking about it, go get your unabridged birth certificates, they can delay your progress unexpectedly at the end. ;)

I am also fairly new to this great forum but a warm welcome @RunningBanana. I am sure you'll find all answers and ideas throughout the emigration process.

With regards to the fourth point, unfortunately IELTS results are only valid for 2 yrs or so but definitely not 8.

Also, the only persons I know that are exempted from writing the English tests are holders of British passports. However, keep in mind that even if you are exempt, you may want to attempt the test in order to increase your points.

All the best with your app process.

Yes most definitely start applying NOW for your Unabridged Birth Certificate! This is by far the most (...IELTS is failing me now, I cannot recall the damn word :-), ugh ) but basically, it can either be quick and easy and you have it within a couple of weeks, or you can wait MONTHS for it. I read in the news a while back of someone that has waited 9 MONTHS and still has not received it. They seemed to have "lost" a lot of birth records somewhere. And you need it to apply.

And on Agents, we personally used Migrate2Oz. Got our Visas within 6 months from the date we applied.:

Reuven Abeshouse

BCom, LLB (Australia) | Registered Migration Agent MARN 0854073

Member Migration Institute of Australia MIA 3635

Supreme Court of NSW (AUS) & NY State Bar (USA)

Tel: +27 11 453 1229 (Intl) | 0861 GO TO OZ

Fax: +27 11 453 6449

www.migrate2oz.co.za

reuven@migrate2oz.co.za

On your girlfriend/wife-to-be, it took us 6 months to apply as a family. If you are serious about marrying her and settling down, and all that, then my advice is to include her or you will just extend your waiting time by another 6 months. But, I would advise that you speak to a migration agent first to hear what they say is best.

• Like 1

Welcome to our corner of the world, may you find many answers here. The unabridged birth certificate they speak about, is a birth certificate which lists both your parents full names, not sure how your certificate is issued in Taiwan.

There are two registered agents on this forum, who come highly recommended and best of all is that they are always giving forum members great updates and advice. You can send them a PM (personal message):

TeeTMI (Tee Taylor of Taylor Made Immigration)

or

SD_MOA (Stephen Dickson of Migration Outcomes Australia)

Thank for the replies :D

I guess I will do the IELTS again, no harm in getting those extra points.

I will have to find out from the Taiwanese Embassy regarding my birth certificate then.

Hi there,

I am new to the forum, very excited / nervous that I have finally made up my mind to immigrate to Oz. I haven't started the application yet, busy doing my research on this forum and the Oz government immigration site but will soon apply in September after my certification exam and busy updating my CV at the moment.

I am thinking of applying for the 189 visa (Skill independent visa) I just have a few questions / concerns:

• Which passport should I apply with? I was born in Taiwan, but moved to South Africa when I was a child and gotten my citizenship here. So I have two citizenships, is there a difference / bias towards certain country's origin or is it purely on points? Which is easier, because I know that Australian government and Taiwanese government have a special program for working holidays, don't know if it will be easier for the 189 visa too?
  • I couldn't find a list of immigration agent on the forum, I am picking up here and there that Migrate2Oz and Migration Outcome are pretty helpful, anyone says otherwise?
  • I am engaged at the moment but we are not living together. Should I apply for myself first or together or wait till we get married next year? Or ship her with the containers :glare:
  • Finally, I have written the IELTS test about 8 years ago, can I still use it? Also, I have two Australian University Degrees (Bond University), do I still need to write the English exams?

Have a nice day :)

1. My wife was told that her British passport gave no advantages over her South African one. I'm not sure whether the same applies to Taiwanese.

2. We used the services of Stephen Dickson at Migration Outcomes and he was definitely helpful.

3. This is probably one to dizcuss with an agent.

4. You will need to rewrite. I think an IELTs certificate is valid for a year or two.

With regards to 3.

It's a very good idea to take pictures of you and your fiancé together. The Aussie government may request them to prove that you are legitimately a couple.

It's best to have photos from when you started dating all that away up to the time you apply..

Photos with family and friends are the best or photos where you took trips together. For example get a photo of you two plus everyone else at a family members wedding. I.e. a nice group shot of everyone.

There is a line in a Chris Rock song, "if you have not met his friends, then you are NOT his girlfriend". The Aussie government tends to think like that

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

With regards to 3.

It's a very good idea to take pictures of you and your fiancé together. The Aussie government may request them to prove that you are legitimately a couple.

It's best to have photos from when you started dating all that away up to the time you apply..

Photos with family and friends are the best or photos where you took trips together. For example get a photo of you two plus everyone else at a family members wedding. I.e. a nice group shot of everyone.

There is a line in a Chris Rock song, "if you have not met his friends, then you are NOT his girlfriend". The Aussie government tends to think like that

Great, thanks for the heads up :)