SA -> UK -> AUS?

Moose2014

Hi all,

My husband and I moved the UK just over a year ago and the grey is just too much for us. Having grownup in Durban I want that same lifestyle for my family and so the great trek to Aus begins. We're really excited but still early days. Wonder if there is anyone who has been through similar?

We're focusing IELTS now and then skills assessment. My husband is a vet so we will apply under his name. Any other vets out there?

Welcome! :ilikeit: I am trying to convince my kids to become vets so I can retire early. Just kidding, but vet fees in Australia is unbelievable expensive.

If you from Durban then Brisbane will be right up your alley. Do you know if your husband has to do conversion exams or not?

• Like 1

Hello and welcome...

I came from SA to UK to Aus - there are a few of us on the forum who did the same.

Happy to help if you have questions.

The obvious differences are - the weather is better, houses and land sizes are generally bigger, and there is more focus on sport and outdoor lifestyle.

International travel is not as affordable or accessible, and goods are generally more expensive.

You probably know this already - so feel free to ask questions!

• Like 1

Hi all,

Ahhh so nice to get our first responses on the forum :)

@Jordy - luckily my husband does not have to do a conversion exam. The Australasian Veterinary Board have a list of qualifications at specific institutions that they accredit and the South African Onderstepoort institute is luckily on that list.

@HansaPlease - thanks for the response - good to know we aren't the only ones who are a little restless in the UK. Yes we're aware of what you've mentioned and will gladly wave goodbye to everything in the UK for the focus on sport and outdoor lifestyle part :)

Thanks for the offer - will definitely send through our questions!

Hi, i did this too. Ten years in the uk before we moved to aus in 2013. The weather alone makes it worth it! In ten years in england i had 2 decent summers, i just couldnt take it anymore!

Thanks for the encouragement @ProudlySouthAfricanInPerth now just to patiently get through all the admin!

• Like 1

Hi,

Yep - been there, done that.

3 years in the UK and decided that the lifestyle wasn't for us.

If you are not fond of grey or cold weather - be warned, not all of Australia is warm and sunny all year round. You will want to avoid Victoria, S.Australia, ACT and Tasmania.

You will want to avoid Victoria, S.Australia, ACT and Tasmania.

Well, not entirely - that's a bit harsh. Most of the above have great summers, and plenty of sun.

I like having different seasons.

Well, not entirely - that's a bit harsh. Most of the above have great summers, and plenty of sun.

I like having different seasons.

Fair enough - probably a little harsh but more than one person on this website has been surprised by the cool winters in the South and SE (and the fact that often the houses don't cater for the cold...just saying)

Fair enough - probably a little harsh but more than one person on this website has been surprised by the cool winters in the South and SE (and the fact that often the houses don't cater for the cold...just saying)

Yep, I can appreciate some are surprised - for that reason, I wouldn't say "avoid" but rather just - do your research.

People sometimes carry on about Melbourne like they've landed straight in the arctic and have penguins flapping around :D Soft, I tell you!

• Like 1

Yep, I can appreciate some are surprised - for that reason, I wouldn't say "avoid" but rather just - do your research.

People sometimes carry on about Melbourne like they've landed straight in the arctic and have penguins flapping around :D Soft, I tell you!

I am soft - my husband tells me all the time :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to make this big move, and you cannot stand the grey - avoid Victoria , Act , Tasmania and South Australia.

Why would you make such a big move to have to face more cold and grey? Maybe not as much as in the UK, but it is still not all that pleasant.

It is a little known fact to South Africans that these areas are really cold and often very grey. Depressingly so!! I always believed Australia was a country of endless sun before I moved here.... That is how it is always marketed.

It was certainly a rude shock to my system on how cold it actually gets here.

And the summers-well lets just say that they are fleeting and except for a few very very very hot days, not all that pleasant or warm.

Make your choice carefully, moving again once you get here costs a fortune.

Yip definitely going to make sure the city we end up in Aus is hot more often than not. Grew up in Durbs so looking at Brissy

• Like 1

Good call-making sure the weather suits you is half the battle done.

It's amazing how the weather can affect your every day mood, and your life overall.

• 1 month later...

Perth has the best of SA. Beautiful beaches,relaxed vibe. family friendly, and stunning wine regions on your doorstep.

:)

• Like 1

Perth has the best of SA. Beautiful beaches,relaxed vibe. family friendly, and stunning wine regions on your doorstep.

:)

+10,000

Looking forward to heading back there in a couple of years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I would recommend Queensland if you're after the sunshine and great weather over all. I live in CQ and the coldest temp this last winter was about 8 degrees (at night). During the day the temp was always above 25 degrees and always sunny. I can't remember the last time I wore long pants, other than for work. I suppose the weather up here is the main reason why everybody from down south comes up to Queensland over the winter holidays. Summers are even better, if you like the sun. I lived in the UK for 10 years before coming here and I still can't understand how I lived there for so long without sunshine. It's great up here if you like the outdoor lifestyle. You won't be sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, In the same boat, currently in the UK, took up the job offer just to get us out of SA for the sake of our safety and our children's future...so now focussing on Oz :D . But first making sure our qualifications are in order etc. and surprisingly also looking at Brisbane :rolleyes:

Edited by renebo

• 4 weeks later...

@Moyamorton,

Hi there, how are things going with your application process? Just wanted to ask about the police clearance, how did you do it from the UK?

I will be starting the process only next year, but want to get all the little bits of info I can to make it as smooth as possible..

hope to hear from you soon.

R

Hi @renebo,

Everything is ticking along but not as fast as I'd like, I'm impatient to get to Aus now. We were actually in SA on holiday and did our applications for the PCCs and UBCs whilst there. We've received the PCCs but still waiting for the UBC which my brother will collect once they're both ready. Luckily the UK PCC are easy and online and apparently very quick.

We've done IELTS and got most of the paperwork together. We're just waiting for my husband's three year experience which is officially beginning Jan. We will then submit for skills assessment and submit EOI ASAP once we've received the positive skills assessment.

Where in the UK are you based? Perhaps if we're coincidentally close we could go for a coffee?

M

@Moyamorton,

Hi there, how are things going with your application process? Just wanted to ask about the police clearance, how did you do it from the UK?

I will be starting the process only next year, but want to get all the little bits of info I can to make it as smooth as possible..

hope to hear from you soon.

R

Find all your info regarding PCC here

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/apply-for-a-police-record-check

Apply with this

http://www.sahc.org.au/police/Police_Clearance_Application_Form.pdf

If you need any more help ask the people at the SA Consulate in London. They were pretty helpful when I was there, although that was 5 years ago. Things may have changed since then.

There is also a lot of info here

http://southafricahouseuk.com/

I forgot to add. For all your correspondence to / from SA use a reputable courier service. Don't use the postal service. This way you are guaranteed that everything goes to where it needs to go and also comes back to you.

Edited by Peterthe1
  • Like 1