New arrivals in Perth

Magenta

When I arrived in mid Dec last year with my husband, we were fortunate to have family living 10 min away. My husband's cousin, wife and 2 kids have lived in Perth for almost 4 years and are now making the move to Brisbane. The news of their departure has made me think about my arrival in Perth. I had never been to Perth and knew no one, except for my husband's cousin and family - I was so grateful to know some one. We don't see them every weekend but I know that if ever I needed help or had a question, they would be there. I was so fortunate to have a 'soft landing' but with them moving away, it has made me realize that not everyone is that fortunate.

I don't know if anyone would be interested in having a 'welcoming committee' for new arrivals. When some one new arrives, a few ladies who live in a similar area, could get together for a cup of coffee and a chat. So that when the new person arrives, they don't have to feel alone and lost in a new city.

Not everyone has kids and can chat to school moms and dads. Not everyone can (or wants) to make connections at work. Some may have very little kids who aren't part of a school community yet. Some people may be incredibly shy (like me).

Anyway, I am in Hillarys and if there is anyone who is new to Perth or has been here for a few months or even a year and wants to get together for a cup of coffee some time, send me a PM.

Edited by Mara
I have pinned this post..it will stay at the top of Communities Perth - what a lovely gesture, thank you!
  • Like 1

That sounds great, we are very close! Kanniewagnie, maybe you can join too?

• Like 1

Hi Magenta and SML

Do you know of the "Welcome 2 Perth 4 Women" Group? This is for all new migrants from anywhere, but there are many, many South African faces. I met some of my very first Perth friends there. Since then I've attended the coffee meet-ups occasionally, taking new arrivals there to chat to other newbies.

The NOR group meets on the first and third Wednesday of every month, from 10-12 noon for a great KUIER and coffee at Gloria Jeans' Coffees, Hillarys Boat Harbour, Sorrento Quay.

Hope to see you there!

xx

Thanks Vaalrivier. I didn't know about this. Will definitely keep this in mind. I unfortunately have uni classes on a Wednesday ... Hopefully I can make it during my holiday :)

When I got here in 2002, there were people in yellow blazers at the airport, greeting arrivals from the SAA flights, handing out envelopes containing info about everything from where/when/how to apply for Centrelink to where to get decent biltong (from the sponsor, obviously) to where the SAffas hang out to where this group (Western Australia South African Association, if I remember correctly) had their gatherings.

I never really went to any of their meetings, though.

Yes, it would be great! Tuesday mornings suits me better, but I'm flexible. I attended some of the Wednesday Welcome 2 Perth mornings at Hillaries Boat Harbour. They have a website if you want to see the dates. If you are a 'new' lady attending for the first time, you get an information pack and a free coffee.

Let us know when you want to meet and I'll do my best to be there!

I run a group on Facebook called Proudly South African in Perth & WA and we arrange meet ups with anyone who wants to join, new and old. Its great just to meet people and chat to someone who understands what you are going through.

Its harder for people like me who work almost full time and have small children to care for but we do try! :)

• 3 weeks later...

It was great meeting you SML, it is difficult in the beginning to meet so many new people and it takes a lot of energy to build true friendships. I was at a birthday 'party' today where most people live here for 10 years plus and I envied them being so 'comfortable' with each other, sharing private jokes and giggled like old friends. There is hope!

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

We arrived in Perth at the end of October, and have found a rental in Alkimos just north of Butler Station.

My wife and i are in our low to mid 30's :P and have a 19mo old (very active, i don't want to just sit around kinda boy),

My wife has joined a number of activity groups, and and we are finding it hard to meet people & make friends. We would love to meet some people, South African or not with children preferably close to or slightly older than our little guy.

Ideally weekends are better, just would love to put ourselves out there, and see if there are any people out there who would like to meet up for a "play date" in a park etc.

TIA

Edited by MonTage

On 11/24/2016 at 1:06 PM, MonTage said:

Hi All,

We arrived in Perth at the end of October, and have found a rental in Alkimos just north of Butler Station.

My wife and i are in our low to mid 30's :P and have a 19mo old (very active, i don't want to just sit around kinda boy),

My wife has joined a number of activity groups, and has found it extremely hard to make friends. We would love to meet some people, South African or not with children preferably close to or slightly older than our little guy.

Ideally weekends are better, just would love to put ourselves out there, and see if there are any people out there who would like to meet up for a "play date" in a park etc.

TIA

Edited by Guest