Observations and Revelations

HadEnoughofJuju

You hit the nail on the head, I have also heard, many of those comments, before!

With my last job, I was blatantly told at the interview, that they would be taking a chance on me, as they do not generally employ South Africans because they are way to arrogant! Fortunately for me, I was employed by them for 13 years until my retirement. I subjected myself to the 3 L's : Look, Listen and Learn, for at least six months, before I gently advised them of the improvements that could be made to the financial systems.

• Like 3

Hi HadEnoughofJuju,
I really like your post! My husband and I have the mindset that: Nobody is forcing us to leave SA, and nobody is forcing us to enter Australia. It's something we voluntarily choose to do. So, we don't want to go there to be South Africans living in Australia, we are going there to become Australians, and we hope things go well for long enough that our children and grandchildren will also want to be Australians. It doesn't mean we won't still bake cinnamon pancakes, and make our own biltong, and go on vacation trailing a little Ventertjie(currently in the garage, waiting out its 12months of ownership before import, hehe). But when it comes to how you interact with people, if it's your community then you have to adapt to them.

I recently read an article originating from Canada, where the author was complaining about Islamists who had demanded that the public school canteen stop serving bacon, as they found it offensive. And the response (well worded, non-aggressive) basically said: You chose to come to this country, we accepted you with open arms. Here in Canada bacon is part of our tradition, if you don't like it you are welcome to choose a different country.

It made me laugh to read the comment about arrogance! Just two days ago I spoke to someone who said:

Re: I haven't liked a single Australian that I have met.

Me: How many have you met?

Re: Seven. They are all so arrogant!

[We're still in SA, going over in May 2016]

I think that kind of behaviour is universal and that any population at any given time will have a certain portion of people who grew 'old' but never 'up'.

Anyway, maybe my M won't write itself after all...?

• Like 4

I agree that whinging Saffers are a real pain. I think you can be free to have a go at Tony Abbott or Bill Shorten or whoever and Aussies don't mind, but its the constant "in South Africa ..." or the general "I don't like Australia or Australians" that gets me and one of the reasons that we seldom attend Saffer gatherings. At least on the forum when I don't like someone's general behaviour I can just ignore them. But when I go to a Saffer event and there is Aussie bashing or South Africa bashing it drives me potty. Generally, you can't reason with the person as the South African arrogance of "I'm right" kicks in.

• Like 2

We have only been here for 18 months but every day I fall more in love with this country. I don't hear the accent anymore. I have not yet met any Aussie who did not respond positively to a friendly and respectful approach. Like HEOJJ, all the benefits he mentioned still overwhelm me. There is not a day that I am not thankful to live here.

Negative, arrogant and bitter people are off putting - no matter what nationality they are.

• Like 2