6 months to go, started this journey in April 2013

Faduv

Have not posted for a while, as all things are hanging very finely balanced. Between arranging kids to attend English classes, taking up new position at the company, arranging movers, clearing the house, dealing with goodbyes.............. you get the picture and most of you have been through the last couple of years.

So we decided to fly out 12 January 2016, hopefully it will give us 2 weeks to find a rental when we arrive in the areas we have identified via google.

Then to settle with kids, enrol into school and then to start looking for jobs, random thought............we are a crazy type of group of people that do this...................people not going through this do not understand..... ask us how friends suddenly do not call or visit anymore...... no issues, we made the choice and we accept the consequences.

back to the post--

1. gas bottles - I know this is specific to each state - do we bring the gas bottles with all attachments e.g. gas heaters etc or not??

2. Anyone thinking to move around Dec/Jan Jan 2016 that we can take over :whome:?? Anyone with 2 bedroom granny flat?? House-siting required??

3. Anyone thinking of selling that second or third car :blush-anim-cl:, we are looking for polo size, plus minus $5000, any other suggestions on what to buy???

4. Packing to leave, should we include "winter" type clothes?? Our container will leave on 27 Nov thus we would hopefully not be to long without our stuff. would like to safe space for other stuff.

As always appreciate all comments and suggestions

Edited by Faduv

1. No to gas bottles and heaters. Yes to skottles and camping accessories.

2. Yes to winter clothing - currently very chilly in Brisbane (never thought I would say that).

3. Sorry no car for you.

4. Where are you planning to live?

• Like 1

Thanks sunnyskies.

Planning to stay Adelaide, suburbs Hallett Cove, Port Noarlunga or then Aberfoyle, Flagstaff Hill.

Winter clothes to come with container. Thinking jacket and denim since it will high summer in Jan.

Thanks

Yes, January can be very hot with heatwaves so make sure you have some very light clothing in your bag as well.

Unfortunately, can't help much with Adelaide. Maybe try Airbnb for short term accommodation.

There is somone on here who out let accommodation in Port Noarlunga. I think she is Tamara or similar. Do a search for it.

Here is a link to the topic that Rozellem mentioned : http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/36914-life-in-the-scenic-southport-noarlunga/?hl=%2Baccommodation+%2Bport+%2Bnoarlunga

Edited by Mara
Attached link for rental property

January is peak season over here.

New migrants are competing with holiday guests for available accomodation. What i have also found in the past couple of years is that there is a large amount of family who are out here at this time visiting people who have migrated here in the previous years.

My advice would be to book somewhere for a longer period than 2 weeks. 2 weeks does put you under all sorts of pressure to find a suitable rental in a suitable area. It is better to be able to pick and choose a little as the decision will affect how you settle in. If you are forced to take something that has dodgy neighbours it will affect the next 6 months or year of your living.

Skip the winter clothes for Jan. You will be experiencing 40 degree plus days in Feb! It gets colder towards April but you will have your things by then.

It might be an idea to have a look on other migration sites for a car. There are plenty of people moving here but to be honest a lot of Brits don't settle and move back to the UK. They often advertise their cars on migration sites when they are leaving and you can often pick up a good deal.

Don't worry about the above comment...South Africans make it work! We have to! I personally only know of 1 South African family who went back and that's because they started out in one of the bad suburbs here...they subsequently returned and moved to a 'better" area.

If you do move this side of the world just let me know. There's a growing group of South African families who live locally and i'm sure they would welcome you...

All the best!!!

Morning Tamara,

Thanks for the information.

We have managed to get accommodation at a South African couple for the first 2 weeks when we arrive 13 Jan to 31 Jan.

When does your units open up again??

PS. definitely will be staying in the south, looking Hallett Cove or Port Noarlunga or Flagstaff Hill area, in this order as well.

Hi there,

that's great! I sent you an e mail about Seaview on the 23rd of Feb.

A really good point for anyone wanting to move here at the end of the year...BOOK NOW...these dates have been booked out for months so if you find anything reasonable priced don't leave it till the last minute.

• Like 1

Hi, we bought a home in Willunga and will move into the new property by the first week of December. Our rental property would be available then. We are paying $350 per week, and this is a solid brick home, double garage/shed, three bedrooms, one bathroom, lounge, study. It is located in Newton, East Adelaide and about 20 minutes from the City by car. The rental price includes water, and electricity for the four of us about $95 per month and gas about $240 every three months. We are surrounded by some of the best schools in Adelaide. This area may be difficult to get into over December and January. PM me if you are interested in taking our rental over.

• Like 2

Hi, we bought a home in Willunga and will move into the new property by the first week of December. Our rental property would be available then. We are paying $350 per week, and this is a solid brick home, double garage/shed, three bedrooms, one bathroom, lounge, study. It is located in Newton, East Adelaide and about 20 minutes from the City by car. The rental price includes water, and electricity for the four of us about $95 per month and gas about $240 every three months. We are surrounded by some of the best schools in Adelaide. This area may be difficult to get into over December and January. PM me if you are interested in taking our rental over.

Willunga is a great choice for an area to live. It's on my list (with McLaren Vale) of places that I would like to live in. I have friends in that area...such a stunning location, good high school...a magic part of Adelaide!

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated. Will check-in monthly with on the move, maybe I will put it is in the "journal" section.

• 1 month later...

HI everyone, Just quick update on our process.

Our flights have now been booked 14 Jan 2016. We will be staying with wife's mother 1st week of Jan and then my folks the second week, 2 days in hotel near the airport and then we are off.

We are still looking for a place a stay the first two weeks we stay, though we will do camping but even the units are way expensive that time of the year. If I can get a caravan we can go camping for the first two weeks........................

Otherwise we are getting the house sorted, last of the things we are not taking with will be going to friends and family this month and then we are the home straight.............

Again, if anyone knows about an opportunity to house-sit or know about a rental opening up in Jan please let us know. We are really trying to save costs to not stay through a airB&B etc.....

We have decided to stay near Hallett Cove due to the kids that will enrolled in Hallett Cove East Primary school (otherwise Rhino1 offer would have been perfect)

Best wishes

Edited by Faduv

• 1 month later...

So another month has past and things are starting getting momentum. 3 1/2 months left and then we are mounting this lion (the elephant we finished in just over 2 years..... small bites at a time).

We experienced the blessings of God in the last month, was placed into contact with a South African family in Adelaide and without asking they offered us accommodation for the first two weeks when we arrive, truly amazing how He works. Bonus they are staying in Hallett Cove and son goes to Hallett Cove East Primary.

Resigned, strange how "counter offers" to "please re-consider" always pops up then.....wonder why companies do not do more to keep their staff...anyhow good feeling but did not accept.

Still looking for our first run around car, $5000, so if their are anyone with leads or offer please let me know, much appreciated.

Our stuff will be removed end Nov, and then 6 weeks split between family and some days on self-catering farms.....just to keep everyone sane. We have been pretty much loners since we got married, both sets of parents stay far away thus we were always dependant on ourselves....no luck of brothers/sisters/cousins popping over for baby sitting etc. Plus brothers and sisters scattered all over SA and UK, which, I hope will make the move a little bit easier.

That's it for now, will pop-in in months time........looking for that first run-around car offer.

PS - if anyone knows of rentals opening up in Hallett Cove area, please please let me know. Willing to start paying from 01 Jan.

Cheers for now

• Like 2