Please help us choose a town in Queensland

PeterTree

Hi all,

We are coming for a holiday to Australia and the purpose of our holiday will also be to find suitable areas for us to live in Australia.

Please help with any recommendations of areas we can go visit and experience while we are on holiday. We will be road tripping all along the Queensland coast and some areas inland.

We love trees, tropical plants, the sea, farming, cycling our kids to school, a good sense of community and reasonable proximity to Brisbane city (50 - 200km).

To summarise:

- Small to medium farms or otherwise large properties (+- acreage) available

- Accessibility to the sea: either at the sea or otherwise up to an 45min from the sea

- Good primary school and possibly high school also

- Accessibility to basic shopping facilities up to 20km radius

- Vibrant and caring community

- Distance to Brisbane CBD +- 50km to 200km

- Accessibility to public transport if possible

- Many trees, tropical plants and trees if possible

I know this is asking for a lot but any suggestions of areas to be considered will be of great use.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Peter

We are coming for a holiday to Australia and the purpose of our holiday will also be to find suitable areas for us to live in Australia.

Here is my view - don't want to sound cynical but do you have a job / business already lined up? If not - then consider just to have a holiday and enjoy it. As everything may change once you moved across permanently. As many already have said go where the work takes you.

For holiday - just search the forum as many people have post and comment on their visits to great places.

• Like 1

It has been said that I sound like an old gramophone record... you need to choose where the jobs are, living in your desired location, WITHOUT A JOB, is not smart, unless you have a huge bank account!

So I am with Otto's advice in the post above, unless you already have a job lined up in the area. Although, the 200klms from Brisbane that you mention, I sincerely hope you do not plan on doing that as a daily commute?

Now I will stop with the advice and give you an answer to your question, check out Gympie, around 160klms north of Brisbane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gympie

Google Toowoomba and if you have any specific questions feel free to message me if it sounds like somewhere you might be interested in

Thank you for the replies and the sincere advice!

Gympie seems much like what we are used to and looks like a great area.

We've been living (and making a living) on a small farm in a town with almost the same population as Gympie, but also the same distance from a major city, so we are quite used to this (but in South Africa). We are also used to living semi off the grid and producing our own food etc.

My wife generally works from home (research) and travels quite a bit countrywide and will be doing much the same work in Australia. I'm in the property business and will be looking at renting out property in Brisbane thus I will need to go in once a week for inspections, maintenance etc.

We are done with city living (for a few years now) and we know it's not easy to make a living in the countryside but it is possible. Australia will be a whole new challenge for us!

I'm also attracted to areas in the greater Sunshine Coast area and there are so many towns that seem to meet our requirements, but it's difficult to get an idea of the sense of community and quality of schools. My aim is to create a shortlist of places that we have to go see as possible relocation areas and enjoy everything in between as part of our holiday.

Any leads will help me to research further and especially if any of you have been to some of the places or know people who live there. All advice or even criticism also welcome :)

Gympie is not a prime destination by any means. Its somewhere people are from, not somewhere people are going. :)

Noosa area is great

Glasshouse mountains is great

Peachester to me is a really nice area

Maleny

Montville

Dont know woodford. And Caboolture is not my cup of tea.

To make it easier, if you could choose any town in S.Africa where would you live and why, that will give people a better idea I think

Gympie is not a prime destination by any means. Its somewhere people are from, not somewhere people are going. :)

Noosa area is great

Glasshouse mountains is great

Peachester to me is a really nice area

Maleny

Montville

Dont know woodford. And Caboolture is not my cup of tea.

To make it easier, if you could choose any town in S.Africa where would you live and why, that will give people a better idea I think

Thank you for your reply JackieO!

I've removed Gympie / Caboolture from my list. I've seen interesting farms in Gympie, but it's also just too far from Brisbane. Properties are much more affordable but I believe in the concept that you first buy the area/suburb, surroundings, then the property.

Peachester looks really great and it's +- 85km from Brisbane. Properties seems quite expensive but from what I can see online, I can understand why :)

Maleny and Montville has been coming up a lot for me and I've seen a couple of nice properties.

So it seems like that whole area (Sunshine Coast hinterland) can be a wonderful place to live, farm and commute to Brisbane as necessary.

It really helps to know which areas to avoid and which areas are definitely worth checking out.

My favourite towns in SA are mostly in the Western Cape: Montagu, Hermanus and Hemel & Aarde valley, Natures Valley, Swellendam

All these towns offer a rural / semi-rural lifestyle, good infrastructure, friendly communities, beautiful farms in the area, picturesque landscapes and are not too far from a major city (ex. Cape Town) or even the ocean.

I adore Noosa - I would live there in a heartbeat if hubby agreed :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you like the Western Cape, its climate and produce then the Adelaide region would be better. However if you have Queensland sponsorship this wont work.