GUIDE TO THE 143 PARENT VISA

Orphan

Hi Ronel,

All exciting for you now - congrats, wishing you all the best in your new adventure.

We are going to my daughter in Sydney.

Hello Ronel,

Many thanks for your response to my questions. Do so appreciate it.

From my side, God speed on your new endeavour, may all your preparations for the actual move over run smoothly and hoping you're settle down well and happily.

I'll be joining my son in Canberra.

• Like 1

We wish to join our son in Brisbane. Thank you all for your posts. Have a fantastic week!

Good morning to you all,

Am beginning to go through my clothing to chuck out what I don't wear anymore. Quite amazing just how much one holds onto. The pile is growing and growing. Not to mention footwear :blush:

The garage will wait for warmer weather.

Just before I sell off my last (7) fin oil heater (brrr on this foggy morning in Gauteng), I was wondering if anyone had experience of bringing these into AUS? The Bunning website, shows they are being sold there, so was hoping I could take mine along.....

Thanks for all input and feedback on the migrating process no matter what the question :ilikeit:

• 1 month later...

Hello good people,

Just checking in briefly. Am still waiting for the promised letter of acknowlegdgement and receipt for payment almost 8 weeks later. Wonder if they've forgotten about me? It seems their interpretation of sending it within the next few weeks clearly differs from my understanding of "next few weeks".

I know the wait is long, but surely next few weeks shouldn't equate to next couple of months? Or am I just being impatient?

To all of you busy with packing up, good luck for the move over the pond.

Hi MomMuerte,

Don't despair - we submitted our application on 1 October 2014, payment taken in November 2014 and received acknowledgement in February 2015.

Hope you get a response soon.

Hi Colgill, appreciate your feedback. Guess I'll have to practice better patience. Interested to read that your entire process took 7 months !!! That's amazing. Hope all goes as well for you as you wish.

Hi MomMuerte,

7 months to receive an acknowledgment of our application :cry: Now we are in the "waiting room" and we wait :yawn: I am sure you will receive an acknowledgement shortly and will then be sitting with us in the "waiting room" :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today I'm a happy chappy indeed. After chasing up my migrating agents I finally received my Letter of Acknowledgment and the Receipt, both dated 3 July 2015. Can you believe it, the agents have been sitting on it at their Sydney offices since then? 10 weeks to be exact !! :glare:

I've been reading that a Letter of Acknowledgement has a numbered checklist and a HAP Number for medicals, but mine states an Application ID : IRIS ########### along with a File Number (which makes sense) but nothing of the afore-mentioned. Did I misread or miss something along the line?

I've also noticed that the email address for the Parent Visa Centre in Perth is now shown as: parents@border.gov.au.

Is this the place I can email to find establish the processing time of my visa (albeit a looong way off )?

Well, today I'm a happy chappy indeed. After chasing up my migrating agents I finally received my Letter of Acknowledgment and the Receipt, both dated 3 July 2015. Can you believe it, the agents have been sitting on it at their Sydney offices since then? 10 weeks to be exact !! :glare:

I've been reading that a Letter of Acknowledgement has a numbered checklist and a HAP Number for medicals, but mine states an Application ID : IRIS ########### along with a File Number (which makes sense) but nothing of the afore-mentioned. Did I misread or miss something along the line?

I've also noticed that the email address for the Parent Visa Centre in Perth is now shown as: parents@border.gov.au.

Is this the place I can email to find establish the processing time of my visa (albeit a looong way off )?

Hi MomMuerte, the way I understand it, we will only receive any other requests closer to the time when we get a case officer. The system has changed a bit as a result of the longer waiting periods to ensure that your police clearance cert does not expire before they request it and the same with the medicals. It is a long wait, but I am sure we shall all get there in no time. Stay patient and strong. XOXO They have at least polished off Aug 2013 applications which took forever but are now processing October already. Good news, ain't it?

Hi MomMuerte, I agree with the comment above, we have to wait for a CO to be appointed before we have our medicals and apply for our Police Clearance - do not want to do it too soon in case the PC expires :cry:.

Stay strong

Hi Elna57 and Colgill,

Thanks guys for the moral support :blush-anim-cl: I know the wait is long, but it's frustrating when the migrating agents sit on documentation you are feverishly expecting for 10 weeks. Plus I picked up conflicting details in the summary of the application the DI listed - should have been spotted by the agents, considering how long they sat on it and how much they are paid! One just can't be careful enough and this has just proven to me that one must go over everything with a fine toothcomb. The last thing one needs, is hassles at border patrol when entering the Australia because of conflicting information.

It's relief though to finally know that the application is now official :ilikeit: .

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but I must have missed it if so. We're now in the process of starting the application for the 143 visa for my parents. We meet the family balance test but just regarding the sponsor, I'm working and would beable to sponsor my parents had we been here for 2+ years, so my sister (40 years old) who has lived here for more than 2 years will have to be the sponsor. The thing I'm unsure of is, because she is not working although her spouse is, I'm just a little unsure whether she would be eligible to sponsor them? Or could her spouse sponsor them?

Hi acmac. We have been in Perth 2 weeks today. Very happy but find things here a bit expensive. Exchange rate killing us.

Regarding the AOS, my daughter was also not working and her husband sponsored us, so no problem with her spouse sponsoring your parents.

Barry if you read it, please contact us.

• Like 3

Hi acmac. We have been in Perth 2 weeks today. Very happy but find things here a bit expensive. Exchange rate killing us. Regarding the AOS, my daughter was also not working and her husband sponsored us, so no problem with her spouse sponsoring your parents. Barry if you read it, please contact us.

Thank you very much RoneIP, I appreciate your help with this - thank you. I will let my sister know. Hopefully she can go ahead with everything.

Hello Acmac,

Just to endorse what RonelP has posted, one's sponsor doesn't need to be a relative. Any Australian citizen or permanent resident over the age of 18, who has lived in the country for more than two years, will do.

Also, if the main sponsor's financial situation is a little iffy, you can call on another two co-sponsors to provide the guarantee.

Regarding the sponsor, it was mentioned "In fact, your original acknowledgement letter from the PVC states that this process can commence 12 months after your visa lodgement date, i.e. about 6 months before you expect to hear from the PVC case officer" - at the moment, we're in the process of starting the application for the 143 via for my parents, but at this moment, my sister is only eligible to stand as sponsor as she has been here for 2 years, but as she is not working, her spouse would need to be their sponsor, but as there is quite a responsibility, I was wondering if I couldn't rather sponsor them. I've been here in Australia for 1 year and 1 month, but if what you say about the 12 months after lodgement is correct, would I not be eligible to stand as sponsor at that point? Do I need to be eligible to sponsor at time of lodgement or at the time when we hear from the PVC case officer?

I hope I've made sense.

Yes, perfect sense!

And the answer is....Yes! There is absolutely no reason why you cannot stand sponsor in eleven months time, once you have been in Australia for the mandatory two year period. The AOS part of the application happens towards the end of the process - generally about 1-2 months before you expect to hear from the PVC Case Officer. Therefore, if you are only now lodging your parents' application you will have plenty of time (possibly up to a year) before you need to stand as sponsor.

• Like 1

So that means we can lodge in the meantime, and judging by your timeline, the 11 months required before I'm eligible is well within the waiting period before a PVC case officer is appointed. As you mentioned, will try to start the AoS process at least 2 months prior to having the CO appointed to hopefully mitigate all the issues you encountered.

You have made my day...and my parents ;)...thank you so much.

And thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just on the above, I did start having a look at the form 40 that is required to be submitted with the 143 visa application, and it does mention on page 2 the sponsor needs to

be settled and resident in Australia at the time the application is lodged

and they define Settled as

‘Settled’ (in relation to an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen) means lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period. Under policy, the ‘reasonable period’ is at least 2 years. Periods of lawful temporary residence may be counted towards the ‘settled’ requirement, depending on the circumstances of that temporary residence. The ‘settled’ requirement is assessed at the time the visa application is lodged. However, when assessing whether or not a person is settled, regard is given to the facts of each case. For example, a shorter period of lawful residence (at least 3 months) may be considered for Australian citizens for sponsorship purposes if: • there are compassionate and compelling circumstances; or • the Australian citizen, having resided overseas for a lengthy period, has returned to Australia and wishes to sponsor family members, but may be precluded from doing so due to the 2 year policy requirement. Temporary absence from Australia would not necessarily preclude a person from meeting the requirement to be settled. However, the person must be able to demonstrate that the absence was/is temporary and that they have maintained their residence in Australia.

Judging by this, it seems I need to have lived in Australia for at least 2 years and that the "settled" requirement is assessed at the time the visa application is lodged. I'm just wondering though, it does mention there may be exceptions for "compassionate and compelling circumstances", so wondered who would one contact to figure out if we would be eligible?

Hi Acmac,

Reading this bit, "The ‘settled’ requirement is assessed at the time the visa application is lodged" does make it quite clear that you as sponsor needs to be there for two years before your parent application is submitted. My sincere apologies for not picking this up!

However, I don't think all is lost!

If your sister's eligibility as the primary sponsor is not the issue, but finances are (as you have indicated), there may be the opportunity for you to join her as a co-sponsor merely to achieve the required income level. As the secondary sponsor, this settlement requirement may be less stringent (particularly if at the time of lodging the AOS you will have been in the country for well over two years) and exceptional circumstances may indeed come into play. It is certainly worth checking this out with an immigration agent !

Edited by Orphan
  • Like 1

Not a problem at all.

I'll definitely look into that...I think that may work. Thank you so much. All these fine details that make it quite tricky...

• Like 1

Good morning all. We have just returned from a two week visit (holiday) to my son on the Gold Coast. we completed all forms to start the process of applying for a 143. My wife is now second guessing the move. There is enough evidence to make the move a "no brainer" however leaving family behind has become the stumbling block. Have any of you been through the same experience and how did you overcome it? I understand it is a massive decision but we have to do this as soon as possible. Good luck to all in the waiting room.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all. We have just returned from a two week visit (holiday) to my son on the Gold Coast. we completed all forms to start the process of applying for a 143. My wife is now second guessing the move. There is enough evidence to make the move a "no brainer" however leaving family behind has become the stumbling block. Have any of you been through the same experience and how did you overcome it? I understand it is a massive decision but we have to do this as soon as possible. Good luck to all in the waiting room.

The decision is quite easy for us since we only have one child and he lives in Australia. My mother is the only living family member who I am really concerned about and feel responsible for. But I weighed up with whom I have the time left to spend with and the maths added up. I hope to join my son end of next year and will try to bring my mom over for a visit. It is hard but list the pros and cons ........ it will make your decision easier. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is getting very lonely here in the waiting room........ Any news? Anybody?...... Myth? Where are you??????