New Recipe Teaser - Surfermans Ultimate Vindaloo for OBD

SurferMan

Here we go, per a special request from OBD.

Right, let's start with some curry etymology. I love to understand the history of what I eat. Hate the celebrity people who as Keith Floyd said, cook Lego food. They just assemble food. Nothing wrong if you don't know better or want to start out...

I want to know the history of where and how it came into being.

The Tamil who are resident in the Southern Indian States around Madras are known to have the word "kaari" in their language, which describes a dry gravy, It is instructive to note that it has twelve vowels instead of the five that the poor English language has, with a varying phonetic emphasis. This in turn changes the meaning of the word. Kaari is part of a longer word deployed by the Tamil, "kaikaari", and as a result the caste differences are taken VERY seriously. (I will not go into caste differences as I'm sure to cock a leg at some folk, suffice it to say it's an form of class segregation) As a joke King Julian used this as a one liner in Madagascar.... :jester:

Anyways, I digress. the Brahmins are actually strict veggiesauruses, whereas the Tamil Nadu use the word kaari and it means meat, pronounced with emphasis at the end of the word. The landing of the Enlgish in the 17th century and Robert Clive's activities in Madras later led to "pepper water" and eventually mulligatawny soup and the rest is history.

For those who don't know, Chicken Tikka Marsala is actually a BRITISH invention, not Indian....

Vindaloo means "vin" for vinegar" and "aloo" from albo, Porra for garlic. This is therefore a dish originally defined by Porras.

Now, for the recipe.

You will need:

Birds eye chillies/Reshanpatti/Geniune Kashmirri

15-30 kashmirri chillies

A nice fat and juicy ginger chunk, about 5cmx5cm, try not to use a woody one with lots of fibre, the tips are better to use, but you can grate the fibrous ones for ginger.

2 teaspoons cumin seeds

1 teaspoon poppy seeds

1/2 of a star anise

Crush 10-20 peppercorms, use black and pink for a nice spread of flavour. Use a stone mortar and pestle.

2 cinnamon sticks, whole

5 cloves

10 fat and juicy garlic cloves.

4 teaspoons cider vinegar

2 teaspoons tamarind paste

Some oil, I don't use any crappy Canola or similar oil. I use Olive Oil, avocado etc.

4 medium onions, chop them up finely

1kg pork, stewing grade, and cube it at home

15-20 curry leaves

1/4 teaspoon pimento

1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds

Preparation:

Grind the all the spices, ginger, garlic, and tamarind with the vinegar and ensure a nice smooth paste. Rub a bit onto the pork and let stand for say 30min-60min.

Now fry the onions in some oil until ince and brown, say 15-20min, stove dependant. Add the spice paste and fry gently for 5min oro so, your nose will tell you the ready point. Toss in 4-5 cups of water and season with salt to taste at this point. Drop the gas down to a very low simmer. The trick is patience. Check periodically for catching at the bottom.

Toss in the curry leaves. Let it run for another 10-15 min, to taste on thickness, maturity etc.

At this point I add in fresh chopped chilies if I am eating this alone, or I do a little "Sauce Papa" on the side.

Sauce Papa:

1 finely chopped onion

1-2 two vine tomatoes, finely chopped

3 garlic, finely chopped

Juice of X lemons, enough to cover the ingredients

20-30 chillies

Some sliced green olives

As I don't eat wheat or any bread etc, anymore, I make a coconut bread style roti, or cauli-rice. But mostly I just serve this puppy up straight up. Like my tripe n trotters, I will make a big pot, and eat this day n night until it's all gone!!!!

And there you go OBD, a Vindaloo fit for a baas!

RESPECT

• Like 2