CWC 2015

Rodz

Hi

I need some advice from the people living in Melbourne and Sydney please. I will be travelling down for the Proteas games next month. Would it be better to use public transport or will their be parking near the grounds? How good is the transport system travelling after 10pm with 2 kids. In Melbourne i will be staying at Emerald and Sydney in the Blue Mountains. I dont want to be driving into the city and getting lost, stuck in traffic, etc. Thanx in advance.

In Melbourne, the best way to get to the MCG and sporting events/stadiums is by public transport. Trains go to Jolimont for the MCG.

Don't worry about the 10pm thing - there will be plenty or other cricket fans around at that time of the night and plenty of families at the game.

Maybe one tip would be to buy a family area (no alcohol / dry zone) ticket if you have small kids and would rather not put up with swearing, ect.

• Like 2

In Melbourne, the best way to get to the MCG and sporting events/stadiums is by public transport. Trains go to Jolimont for the MCG.

Don't worry about the 10pm thing - there will be plenty or other cricket fans around at that time of the night and plenty of families at the game.

Maybe one tip would be to buy a family area (no alcohol / dry zone) ticket if you have small kids and would rather not put up with swearing, ect.

Thanx Hansa. Yes i will use the train, just will need to see what station to climb on. I've used the train quite a few times here to Suncorp and the Gabba and normally catch the 12am one home, but never with kids. For the MCG game i am in the Protea support stand, so it should be ok!

Is that the Sunday? I desperately wanted to go to that game, but I'm double booked. I'm running my first marathon. Idiot.

Actually, I've just seen that you're staying in Emerald. In that case I would maybe consider driving as well. It will be quicker that time of night and the further out you get the more you get emptier trains and more people misbehaving. Some lines are better than others late at night - I'm not sure about the Belgrave line - maybe others can comment. Generally it's fine on our line (Hurstbridge) but where we used to live (Pakenham live) it could get a bit rowdy.

That said you will most likely have a lot of other cricket fans around too.

Yes its the Sunday game. Good luck with the marathon.

Yes i was also thinking of going in with the car. i am just a bit hesitant with regards to parking but i will research a bit to see where it would be best to park. I want to be very early at the ground already.

I am a bit more concerned about the Sydney game as i am an hour and a half away from the city, so thats going to be a bit of a schelp.

Thanx again Hansa!

Thanks!

If you're going really early then parking at the MCG on the grass parking shouldn't be too much of a problem. Otherwise, there is a public (pay) car park at the Hilton Hotel just a short stroll away.

Then there's a big multi level carpark at Federation Square, also not a terribly far walk.

Being Sunday, you should be ok with one of these options.

Yes thanx. Seeing it will be my first time in Melbourne, i would like to try and get everything as spot on as possible. Seeing that i lived so isolated for so long, big cities scare me!!

Or you could drive half way and then train the rest of the way.

We used to be on the Lilydale/belgrave line and used the train for big sporting events. There are so many families on the train at the end of the game that there is no space for bad behavior. Generally everyone behaved on our line. Few strange looking people about as bad as it got.

Or you could drive half way and then train the rest of the way.

We used to be on the Lilydale/belgrave line and used the train for big sporting events. There are so many families on the train at the end of the game that there is no space for bad behavior. Generally everyone behaved on our line. Few strange looking people about as bad as it got.

Thanx Sunny, ja i will have a look at that. I still luckliy have a few weeks of planning left.

Just another thing please? Whats the weather going to be like around that time please? We have never been out of QLD and only know this weather. Some say its ok others say its much colder. Thanx

Odds are it could be 25 to 30 in Melbourne in Feb, but it's fairly unpredictable. Best bet would be to check bom.gov.au a few days before the time. The long range forecast at this point in time is pointless.

I'm hoping for a nice cool day on Feb 22 :)

Just another thing please? Whats the weather going to be like around that time please? We have never been out of QLD and only know this weather. Some say its ok others say its much colder. Thanx

Lol, having recently moved to QLD from Melbourne I can tell you it is nothing like QLD in summer. If it is hot it will be very hot, but not as humid as QLD. If it is hot you can prepare for a cool change after a day or two and then by QLD standards you will probably find it cold. By Melbourne standards it will be ideal. Top tip, have layers, so you can pull on something warmer or take a few layers off. We would wear a t-shirt if is warm but keep a light weight jumper handy. If. In early twenties you may need a long sleeve t and have a jumper handy. If it is a heatwave wear as little as possible, but if a cool change is predicted for later in the day be ready to layer on.

Enjoy!