Melbourne Suburb advice

Tazzn

I am looking for some advice on suburb choices in Melbourne and also some ideas of places to stay when we first arrive.

We had ourselves all planned for the Gold Coast and now I have been asked for a second interview with a company based in Melbourne. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but would rather be semi prepared if all goes well.

The office is based in Melbourne CBD - Bourke Street. For the first little while I would be keen to find furnished accommodation or something like a self catering chalet at a camping ground. That is relatively close to the office just so I can get myself settled but once we are organized I would like to be a bit further from the city.

I have looked at places where my husband could possibly look for work and they seem to be more highly situated on the East. Dandenong and Dingley Village were the area's I spotted on the map.

Any recommendations of good suburbs in that area. I am happy to be more in the suburbs and travel into the city (In RSA we live 40 odd KM from the city centre).

Thanks so much!

If you're talking 40km, and your husband would be working in Dandenong/Dingley then Berwick and surrounds could be an option. Around an hour to th city by train, fairly affordable, not too shabby. Good family suburb and good infrastructure which is growing.

Just bear in mind that 40km in Melbourne can be very different in terms of travel time to 40km in Joburg, depending on your mode of transport and the local options available.

You have not said for how many people you are requiring accommodation?

If it is just you, or you and hubby/partner, then this may interest you, fairly close to the city and also close to public transport:

http://www.bellcity.com.au/residences/

If you have a family, then perhaps staying in a caravan park initially will work for you:

http://www.big4.com....holiday-village

http://www.big4.com....g4-holiday-park

Thanks

Mara it is myself, hubby and daughter (3yr old)

Hansa in your opinion what sort of distance would be"doable"?

Tazzn, my suggestions were all just for short term accommodation. As you are looking at the south east, I will leave it to others to give advice. I live in the north west.

Hansa in your opinion what sort of distance would be"doable"?

It's hard to say because not all suburbs have the same transport options available. You can live

10km out and still have to catch a tram that takes an hour.

We're about 19km out and it takes us about an hour to Bourke St. The train itself is 30 minutes and the rest is taken up by the drive to the station and the walk from the station on the city end.

That said, some stations are further out but can be faster because there are less stops.

What sort of commute would you be prepared to put up with in terms of door to door time?

Some other decent options would be bayside - Chelsea sort of area. Not a terrible commute and easy for your husband to drive to work.

One more very important question which would blow any suggestions out of the water... What about budget?

Thanks Hansa

Budget wise - I think about 400/week rental would be what we would be looking for.

Maybe a better question to ask is what suburbs /areas are "no go" or have a bad rep. I can deal with being somewhere a bit far out and having a long commute for a few months while we find our feet and look around. I think my husband will more than likely stay home with our daughter for the first little while so we have time to find day care/pre -primary for her. So at least in the beginning that will take some pressure off and allow me time to take a longer commute if I have to.

If you are going to commute by train and hubby is going to stay home initially, perhaps then check out Sunbury, north west where I live. You would get a modern comfortable homevto rent for thst price. I am told that train commute to the city is 40 minutes.

• Like 1