Diary & Deliberations of the Dinkies

EmNew

Well done Em. Just knew things would turn around for you and just shows you that a little digging and networking pays off. Yes its 8 month contract but its a foot in the door and may potentially lead to a full time job. You are also gaining local experience which can be added to your CV. All the best in your new job. ?

Wow EmNew, congratulations... this just has to lead to greater and better things. Also this way you are virtually starting at the top, rather than having to climb the ladder!

• Like 1

That's great news Em! :ilikeit: May this be just the start of more good things to come. All the best for your new job.

• Like 1

Thanks guys - still sinking in......holding myself back from walking around, stroking the letter of appointment, muttering "my precious" ^_^

• Like 3

YES!

I knew it was just a matter of time until you were snapped up by the right company. Emphasis on right. I'm a big believer in the right thing coming along when the right time presents itself. Good luck, show them who's boss, and enjoy every minute!

• Like 3

Congrats Em! I'm sure that the low level stress is going to decrease drastically. Well done!

• Like 1

Congrats Em! So stoked for you and yours. Onwards and upwards as you prepare to fill this new role.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Wow, this is awesome!!!   :D 

Just out of curiosity, how long has it been since you landed? (I'm still looking at that 3 month average time thing, and trying to determine how many people I see who match that approximate time)

• Like 1

@Redpanda - we landed 28/09/2015 - so it's almost 4 months, but I did take a break when hubby was on mandatory leave over Christmas / New Year, and our first week or so was 100% admin, settling in etc. So I guess it was 3 months of actual daily job applications, phoning,  follow ups etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Em,

Just wanted to say that I hope the first week and a bit at your new job was not too hectic.

Enjoy the weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks SDTCPT:ilikeit:

I survived - the first full week, the first month end, my first attempt at making coffee using the multi button coffee machine, understanding some lingo that I am not used to - both job specific and general etc etc

It was actually a great week - steeeeeeeep learning curve, tiring and sometimes frustrating,  but can see that I will grow in many ways in this role.

Already met some great people ( including 2 Saffers on my floor and side of the building ) and upped my skills. Info overload and sometimes overwhelming, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I do love the environment though. There is so much co-operation, helpfulness etc. I was the only one stressing out about month-end - mainly about why no-one else was stressing out!

Hope all is on track with house sale your side?

• Like 1

Things are moving along on the sale front. Finishing up the inspections and fixing up the faults found so far next week Thursday. Attorneys are on the go with prepping the documents... Also have the guys from EconoTrans coming on Thursday to do an estimate for the stuff we want to take over...

Great to hear you hit the ground running... Now take a breath, (try to) stop stressing and have a relaxing weekend :yourock:

Glad to hear all things are going smoothly on the house front.

If you have Kevin from Econotrans, you will be in good hands, both in terms of price and quality of service. He moved my sister-in-law's mother-in-law to the UK before helping us to Aus. 

To a great, restful weekend all round for all of us! :ilikeit:

Hi Em,

Glad to hear you received good service and price from them. As luck would have it, it is the famous Kevin we are booked with :) If you don't mind me asking (pm me if you want), what did they end up asking to move your stuff?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2016 at 1:08 AM, SDTCPT said:

Hi Em,

Glad to hear you received good service and price from them. As luck would have it, it is the famous Kevin we are booked with :) If you don't mind me asking (pm me if you want), what did they end up asking to move your stuff?

Hi SDTCPT- it was+- R22 000 ( for 10 cubic meters ) door to door before Aussie custom clearance charges  - that was about $850 .

I feel like a kid before Christmas right now - goods were packed 1 September 2015, sat in storage at Econo Trans until November waiting for a full container load, headed to Singapore, stayed there for a few weeks for a Christmas break, were discharged in Melbourne on 24 January, and now finally today we heard that all had passed quarantine ( no extra charges thank goodness ) and are being delivered on Friday!!!

While we have made do and are happy with minimal things, I have missed my books, pictures and baking utensils.  I have a feeling that there may be some drop offs at Salvos of some crockery and extra clothes that we've realised we can do without since we haven't missed them at all.

In denial that we've been here 5 months. Some days I feel as if we have always lived here, and then there are days when it hits me that we're 'not in Kansas anymore' and the floodgates open. I don't cry because I miss RSA, it's more from being overwhelmed with the realisation that there is no sense of history, limited connections,  no chance of bumping into someone we know whilst out and about etc, and the knowledge that we are actually in another country. I don't regret the move at all, but in a way it feels like a lifetime has been lived in the last 5 months and it's taking its toll. So many firsts, so many new experiences, both in daily life such as finding new Drs, new go-to places to shop etc, exploring, and then on top of all, a new working environment. I had spent 50% of my career in large corporates, and the last 50% working for myself. Now I am back in the corporate world, at a fairly large listed Co, and it's a bit of a culture shock to be surrounded by the constant buzz. Trying to find a middle ground of tuning in to keep abreast of all that happens in the team, and tuning out to focus on the tasks at hand. Loving it though - feel as if I have learned more in the last month than I had in many years - soaking it all in, and keep 'pressing here to know more"

Still taken aback about how helpful everyone is, and how chilled month end is..... No frayed nerves, no short tempers, and still pretty much a 5pm home time on the whole! I have heard that the SIC of finance has been known to slam his office door over year end,  but that is pretty much hard to believe right now!

• Like 4

Something has gotten stuck with my 'Like' function, since yesterday, and it hasn't reset. So I can't Like anything. But I like you post. I'm glad to hear your stuff is finally on its way to you.

And it's good to hear you're settling in, kinda, as best one can in 5 months. Just keep swimming...

Hi Em,

Has it been that long already, can't believe it. Well come to think of it we fly out in little over a month :unsure: time sure waits no one...

Glad you are finally getting your stuff :ilikeit: 

Though the cost of the 20' container is way more I think being able to tell them when to ship might be worth it? I don't know anymore... :cry:, just want to get this move done and get over there already... 

I hope that in the next 5 months (and all those to follow) you will feel much more "at home" both at work and at home (bad pun I know :)). Just find a good coffee spot and it will go a long way to help (I know it will for me, will definitely miss the Bootlegger Coffee I get at Ou Meul here in Willowbridge... Come to think of it there might be a business idea there :whome: 

• 1 month later...

So the six month milestone came and went ( flew by without me noticing, thanks to budget prep time at work ) - in fact we're closing down on seven in 2 weeks.

Life feels so.....right......

The routine of working has made some of the emotions harder as per my post 6 weeks ago, but I am getting over that hump. There are the odd days when it dawns on me with intensity that I am a foreigner in a new country, away from everything and everyone known, but then something  quickly happens to make me feel at home and at peace again.

I feel as if I am truly Blessed to have found the contract work and employer that I have. I thought that being in such a huge corporate environment, I would feel like just a number, but my team ,and others on my floor have truly gone out their way to make me feel welcome and valued. I love my morning walk to work from Flinders down St Kilda Road, crossing the Yarra while the rowing teams are hard at practice, seeing the sunrise colours reflected the buildings, hot air balloons drifting over the botanical gardens and seeing the city come to life for the day. I have a go-to coffee shop, and join colleagues for the pre-work coffee run and chit chat every now and then.

The irony is that when I was looking for a job, I had all the time in the world to browse,  window shop and explore. Now between the daily commute, long hours at work and nightly studies, the ability to actually shop and spend money is there, but the time isn't! I suppose that is good for the bank balance that is still in shock post exchange rate conversion and using savings for setup pre-employment....

We're starting to put feelers out for when our current lease expires in November, and are still wavering between continuing to rent ( but another place ) and buying. One thing we know we do NOT want is an apartment rental in a small modern block.......one thing that never occurred to us was the fact that even if upstairs tiptoes barefoot, it sounds like a herd of elephants stampeding, due to the chipboard on steel frame cavity floor / ceiling set up. For some reason the penny never dropped that you can't lay a concrete floor slab on a steel frame when we signed the lease....... Not used to non-solid brick building methods......

We have been out and about over weekends, and fall more in love with the Dandenong region each time we visit. At the moment, the Autumn colours are exquisite. Tramped around Sherbrooke Forest last weekend - tall fern trees, beautiful and bright crimson rosellas among towering trees. Magical.

Another beauty that we discovered over Easter was Mount Macedon and the Macedon Ranges.

Still hoping to get out to the Great Ocean Road, but want to make that an extended trip - perhaps our first holiday / getaway.

The Anzac Day long weekend is coming up, and I am loving the reverence for both fallen and serving soldiers. It seems to truly embody the respect Australians have for others in general, and that really resonates with me.

• Like 4

It sounds like you are in a good place at the moment. (If you could only get some time to look around and see it ;) )
I'm sure you will feel less harried once the night time studies are over.

Hmm...the Dandenong ranges...Sherbrooke forest....Don't you want to come and live in Belgrave with us? :P It has a long-ish train commute to the CBD though, not everyone's cup of tea.

It's good to hear that you are settling in a bit, especially wrt your workplace. :) I'm sure it contributes a lot toward one's general feeling of belonging and contentedness. If we can be in the same place as you, six months after we have landed, we'll count ourselves lucky.

Keep up the good work. (Just keep swimming)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Hmm...the Dandenong ranges...Sherbrooke forest....Don't you want to come and live in Belgrave with us? :P It has a long-ish train commute to the CBD though, not everyone's cup of tea.

It's not out of the question to live closer to that side :)The issue is that my contract ends 31/8/2016, so I don't know where I will end up working after that. Hubby's work is opening their office in Glen Waverley ( he currently works from home ), which does make living at the foothills of the ranges an option.....

At the moment with studying in the evenings, the idea of a longer commute is not practical, but after June's exam, I will get a better feel of the actual work / life balance and have a better idea of what I am willing to cope with for a commute. I like the idea of being close to a railway line, and at least Belgrave, Tacoma, Upwey give that option. Also the further out the farther our money will go in terms of buying property.......

• Like 1

@RedPanda and @EmNew

I honestly do not wish to put a damper on your reasoning... just a reminder... something else that new arrivals may not know about or realise... if it is lush and green, it would be gum trees... ever seen what they do in a fire? Have you researched fires in Australia at all? Do you know that green gum trees can burn and explode? I would love to live in the Dandenong ranges, I would love to live among the trees, unfortunately I cannot afford it.... for the simple reason.... if it burns down, I honestly do not think I would have the guts to rebuild in the same area.... I know many people do, and yes, I know that many will think I am chasing wild horses! For me... I have been here long enough to know how absolutely devastating it is for those that have lost their homes to stand there with only the shirts on their backs. All their life's memories are gone, often pets are gone, and more often than not a loved one, who stayed to fight the fire... On two occasions I have gone to offer assistance in areas where this has happened... and immigrating again would be child's play against the thought of looking into those people's faces.

Do with this advice as you will, just wanted to give you the other side of the coin!

Edited by Mara

On 4/16/2016 at 11:44 AM, Mara said:

Do with this advice as you will, just wanted to give you the other side of the coin!

It's always best to go into things with both eyes open. My husband's aunt's house in Cape Town burnt down some years ago, construction half brick, half timber, and they basically had to rebuild the whole thing.

We intend to rent there for at least 6 months (or a bit longer) while we talk to the locals and get to know what it would be like living there permanently. By the end of that time we should have a good idea of the implications ito insurance, risk, other up/down sides.

But it is true, fire is a risk there.

• Like 1