HansaPlease: Member no: 2031

HansaPlease

Hi guys,

Another new member here. Been reading posts for a while and thought I'd finally join in.

Born and bred in SA, spent the last few years between London and SA and arrived in Melbourne in December.

Still trying to settle (read: buy a house) and work is starting to fall into place. Very much finding that making friends is difficult over here, and finding people to watch rugby with nearly impossible. Getting a bit tired of watching Super 14 on Foxtel in my own lounge... with no mates. :ilikeit::holy:

In terms of Visa, I'm "luckier" than most on this site, in the sense that I did it "the easy way" - my wife is Australian.

That's about it for now really.

Welcome to the forum....

Congrats on your "easy" arrival in Australia, making friends takes time and at least you have Foxtel :ilikeit:

Cheers

Welcome to the forum....

Congrats on your "easy" arrival in Australia, making friends takes time and at least you have Foxtel :holy:

Cheers

Thank you for the welcome!

Yes, that's true - I HAD to get foxtel - I would have died if I had to last the season whithout the Super 14, at least rugby is my friend. :ilikeit:

Hi HansaPlease

Welcome to Melbourne! Unfortunately neither I or my husband are rugby watchers, but a drink or a cup of coffee is always available should you find yourself in Sunbury!

Hi HansaPlease

Welcome to Melbourne! Unfortunately neither I or my husband are rugby watchers, but a drink or a cup of coffee is always available should you find yourself in Sunbury!

Thank you Mara. :ilikeit:

You can go to watch the Melbourne "Storm" play Rugby League at Olympic Stadium.

The "Storm" was the only team outside of New South Wales to go into the newly formed National Rugby League when it was set up in 1998 from the old "Super League" that Rupert Murdoch tried to get up and running for a couple of years. Adelaide and Perth both had rugby league teams in that Super League, but only Melbourne was kept alive. The Adelaide "Rams" and Perth "Reds", sadly, got the chop.

League originated out of Union, but is the working class form of rugby when the rugby clubs of the industrial towns and cities of northern England broke away and paid their players to turn up to games instead of losing a day's pay to do so.

The workers of northern England soon took their form of rugby to Australia and today the eastern side of Australia has rugby league as its main sport of "football".

With some rule changes in League in 1907, there are only 13 players playing the field, making the field a little more "open" than in Union and the game has 6 tackles before the need to hand to ball over to the opposing team to do something with their 6 tackles.

League may not cure your addiction for rugby, but it can stop the tremors a bit.