Camping on queensland coast

Happymigrant

We would like to drive up the Queensland coast during December and maybe camping in SeventeenSeventy and Cape Palmerston National Park. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!

Many years ago we stayed in the only hotel/motel at the time in 1770, what a quaint little place. It was the lowest place from which you could take a cruise to the lower end of the Great Barrier Reef. Very small place then, sure it still is, but we loved it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Did you get to 1770? I just got back from the long weekend. We camped at a campsite near Agnus Waters. it was $20 a day for a family. The weather was perfect surf magnificent. Its like a Noosa 25 years ago! No crowds. They also have a nice pub called the tree bar! The main beach at Agnus water is spectacular. If you looking for something not crowded then this is the place to be. P.s Vodaphone doesn't work here only Optus and Telstra!!

• Like 2

We will most lightly be heading up there and camping over the December period so also happy to hear if anyone has advice

• 3 weeks later...

Surferman - When r u coming to Brisvegas?

Hey Nev

Get this app. Great for planning camping trips. http://www.wikicamps.com.au. And make sure you've got a Telstra simcard. Optus is also mostly ok

• 3 months later...

Good day, is it worth bring your camping gear with from S.A. to Australia? Just thought I'll ask as we are not 100% sure yet.

Is camping also a big thing in Australia?

Thank you

Good day, is it worth bring your camping gear with from S.A. to Australia? Just thought I'll ask as we are not 100% sure yet.

Is camping also a big thing in Australia?

Thank you

Massive. Bring.

But make sure you clean it fastidiously.

Yeah, camping in Australia is big time.

I'm just winding up 6 months of camping in Britain and Europe at the moment, with its camping season here closing down at the end of October as we head into late autumn / early wintertime.

In Australia, it's camping season 365 days a year, and that means Australia has the perfect climate for camping.

If it were my preference, I'd choose to go south in December away from the tropical humidity rather than up into it at that time of year.

Agnes Waters and the Township of 1770 are also pretty damn close to the Tropic of Capricorn, and Box Jellyfish come down from the equator in summertime and infest the tropical waters.

When you swim in the sea, they look a bit like opaque plastic shopping bags floating upside down with long 6' / 2 m tentacles. They can easily kill you, so beware.

Also, Saltwater Crocs . . . . the big ones that kill . . . . inhabit sea and estuaries down to 26 degrees in sea temperature and Agnes Waters and 1770 are about on that limit. Look at water temps for that part of Queensland in December. If it reads 26 degrees or +, then expect "salties" to be around.

The golden rule in the tropics . . . or close to the tropics . . . is if there is no-one in the water, DON'T go in. If there are no "local" people swimming in the river or the sea, don't go in. Wait for a busload of American tourists to go in first, and if they are still there in half an hour, then you can think of swimming.

There are heaps of great trips you can possibly do as an alternative to tropical Queensland in December.

Personally, I find northern New South Wales, below the Queensland border to be a fabulous place to visit any time of the year, with completely safe swimming 365 days a year.

There are some beautiful country townships tucked up in the hinterland of Byron Bay that are delightful to stay in, with its rainforest, the bellbirds singing in the forest as you go through and explore.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Edited by Bob
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your positive replies, it sounds great. Definitely something to think about.

Check your prices before bringing camping gear with you. Most of the camping stores here have great specials/sales. Look up prices in these stores and compare whether it is cheaper to bring or buy here. Anaconda, BCF, Ray's Outdoors, Freddy's Outdoors. With regards to camping in Queensland, We've been camping here for 3 years without any problems, inland and on the beach, summer and winter. We prefer bushcamping, ie. not in formal caravan parks but in areas where you need to be totally self sufficient and way off the beaten track. Everything goes in the campertrailer and 4x4 and off you go.

Edited by Peterthe1