...And so we start...

Cole

Our story has only just begun. My husband and I finally decided at the end of July to apply for a visa and make the move, after many half-hearted discussions over the last few years. Something has finally clicked into place and we both feel it's the right time.

After speaking to a migration agent, we realised that our case should be relatively straight-forward; and we decided to give it a bash, and apply without an agent. We're hoping that it will save us a little money and therefore that we can move over faster. Since the decision was made, I've made it my life's mission to try to research every aspect of the necessary documentation to death, so that no t is left uncrossed and we don't make a costly mistake. Thankfully it appears as though the immi websites et al are quite jacked up and clear in their requirements for the 189 visa.

It's taken a while to get my husband (the primary applicant)'s career assessment paperwork together, and this afternoon I took it to DHL to send it off for assessment. They estimate the documents should reach their destination by Friday, so by my calculations, if all goes well, he should have a response before Christmas. Other than applying for unabridged birth and marriage certificates (one birth certificate still outstanding) and gathering paperwork, this is our first real step towards it being real, and we can't contain our excitement. The next step is his IELTS, which is booked for the 18th of October in CT, the same day we're attending a wedding - I hope he finishes early!

We've moved a couple of times over the last few years; and most of those moves have been work-sponsored so we just kept schlepping stuff from house to house and province to province because we weren't required to pack ourselves.

However, the last time we moved, we had to pack ourselves, and between trying to pack up a house in 2 weeks (long story) and having my then-2 year old unpacking as fast as we were packing; I think we decided it would be easier to donate and toss, rather than try to pack - half your house's contents suddenly appears to be unnecessary! So we got rid of a lot (well, that's what I thought at the time anyway!)

Fast forward to the decision to make a move to Oz; and I start to get antsy. I don't want to wait until the end; the excitement is too much - let's start clearing out now! Luckily this burst of enthusiasm coincided with two younger siblings moving into their first digs, and so, out went half the linen cupboard, and with it, half the kitchen. In between, I managed to clean out my closet twice, and empty the kid's closets of clothes that could be donated. I'm quite tempted to get stuck into their toy boxes to get rid of the crap that finds itself a home there (especially those noisy toys that other people give your children at Christmas that drive you mad haha); but I'll wait until the school holidays are over and see what they've outgrown and what can legitimately go. Meanwhile, cellphone contracts are up for renewal, and i don't know whether to upgrade, or simply hang on to what I've got and avoid the decision of what to do with a half-completed contract, if that were to happen.

I also realised that by the time the visa comes through, my youngest should be off nappies and bottles, which will be absolutely fantastic for the budget and travelling. Of course, our older daughter will be at an age where she can possibly start a little ballet or swimming etc, so I'm hoping that new interests and activities will also help to create excitement for her about the move.

We also recently mentioned the Oz plan to my husband's family...they weren't as enthusiastic about the idea as my family had been (my mom lived in Oz for 2 years before she married my dad, and she and my dad were both very positive about the idea; and one of my sisters is planning a move to Oz with her family in the next couple of years too) so I guess I got lucky with my half, and I know it takes time for everyone to deal with things in their own way.

Earlier this week I had a dream that our visa came through - it was so vivid that when i woke up at 3am, I almost logged onto the forum to announce it....I'm so hopeful that it's a good omen and that everything runs smoothly with the process.

Meanwhile, I log into this forum on a daily basis to follow everyone's story; it's so inspiring - the good and the bad; because it feels realistic and balanced...I hope in the not-too distant future, to be sitting on the other side with my family too.

• Like 6

Hi, Weddingtog, this all sounds awesome, I can feel your exitement !! It's so much fun to sort the house and get rid of lots of dead weight. It seems like in the not too distant future, you'll be sitting on the other side with your family too !! :ilikeit:

• Like 2

I started cleaning up months before, but I wasnt brutal enough. So I suspect we still packed stuff we dont need in the end.

Those last few months weeks go by with such speed, that very soon it is all too late...

I think you are doing the right thing

• Like 1

Had a brutal overhaul of all our possessions shaving it down to the minimum.....or so I believed.

Fast forward a few months, unpacking into a much smaller house, suddenly realizing what else we didn't need - off we went down to the Salvation Army with even more stuff.

• Like 2

Ah DXB2OZ and Eyebrow, thanks so much for your feedback! I know it's early days, but was there anything immediately clear that was a waste to schlep? I'm trying to clear out while the enthusiasm lasts, I'm pretty sure there will be times of sadness and regret where I won't want to clean out or pack up, so am hoping to strike while the iron is hot and plan while there's no rush.

• Like 1

It's a catch 22 - let the container be your guide. You don't want to go overboard and end up replacing a whole bunch of stuff on this side, but y don't want to pay to ship what you will never use or need to replace within 6 months.

I let the customs requirements be the other big guiding factor. If I couldn't be bothered to scrub or varnish it, I didn't really want it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Shoo, what a hectic couple of weeks! After the Language Lab suddenly informed us that my husband could no longer write his IELTS through them in September, it was a mad scramble to get an appointment with the British Council. As luck would have it, he was able to do the exam in October, albeit the same day we were scheduled to attend a mid-afternoon wedding in Stellenbosch! We contacted them and begged that he be considered for an early oral assessment so that we wouldn't miss the wedding, and they said they'd made a note of it.

Major stress that morning, with my husband worrying about his written score (he has terrible spelling and worse handwriting), while I wondered around the Waterfront with a credit card to keep myself busy (not sure which one frightened him more haha).

Eventually heard from him at lunchtime, they'd scheduled his verbal assessment for 17h30 - crisis! After much to-ing and fro-ing, explanations and showing of email correspondence between him and the British council, he was eventually allowed to do his verbal assessment at 14h20. Raced through to a lovely wedding, and then the wait began for those marks!

Fast-forward to today, he checked his marks and received a very healthy 7.5 overall for the General exam, yay! I honestly don't think we could've been more relieved! I really hope everyone received good marks!!

My husband's paperwork was submitted to Engineers' Australia in October via DHL (holy cow that was expensive post, but I guess it got there in 3 days flat and actually got there (yes SA postal service, I'm looking at you!), so I can't complain too much - by our calculations, they should finalise his assessment by the middle of December. If all goes well, we'd like to submit an EOI straight away. Does the system run on it's usual schedule for EOI over December or does anyone know which dates it runs over December?

We're still waiting for my older daughter's unabridged birth certificate. I handed all of our applications in together at a Home Affairs in a small town, in July, and my husband and I received ours almost immediately, my younger daughter's came through within about 6 weeks, but my oldest's is still MIA.

I now know the call centre's number off by heart. I must say the call centre staff are friendly and try their best to be helpful, but the staff employed to process the documents clearly have better things to do than work. The call-centre staff escalate my enquiry every time I call, and request feedback, and don't receive any. It's shocking that there seems to be no accountability. If they can't provide paperwork within their stipulated guidelines, who cares - they'll never get you on the line, the poor call centre has to suffer the ire of the person at the other end of the line! Anyhow, I'm nagging on an almost daily basis, hopefully they tire of me soon and find a way to get it done.

Happy weekend everyone! I'm studying and in the middle of Unisa exams, bleh, would rather be shooting a wedding, can't wait for my next one (wedding, not exam)!

• Like 1