Melbourne PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK

Mara

For those who have not watched the movie, perhaps dont watch it before your "picnic". I have been a huge fan of the movie, since we watched it at a slumber party in St.5 and it scared the be jitters out of us. Have fun though.

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE

Attention Everyone

As you may well have guessed, I have a little list... for South Africans that are not on SAAustralia, that is why I have asked for your private email addresses, so that I can do an update for everyone. If you have not sent me your email address via PM yet, please do so.

By popular vote both on and off the forum, a SUNDAY has been chosen and due to elusive HANSA's seniority, it has been decided that the 23rd November 2014 is the date. If he does not turn up, we will hunt him down!

Here is the link again, to Hanging Rock, just in case you missed it: http://www.visitmacedonranges.com/natural-attractions/hanging-rock/visitor-information/

The time will be 11am, until we get tired of each, or 5.30pm when the park closes.

There are electric barbecues, you need $1 coins to operate them, so bring a bag! (You can make a profit by selling them to those who forget!)

Although there are seats available, it may be wise to bring a picnic blanket and chairs, just to be on the safe side.

Although they have not reached the 23rd yet, you can keep an eye on the weather here http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/melbourne/26216/month/26216?monyr=11/01/2014

By popular vote both on and off the forum, a SUNDAY has been chosen and due to elusive HANSA's seniority, it has been decided that the 23rd November 2014 is the date. If he does not turn up, we will hunt him down!

Wow Mara, just imagine how much money a photograph of the elusive Hansa will fetch on the open market. Surely if you manage to snap him arriving on his unicorn, your retirement will be a comfortable one. :magic:

• Like 2

Oi!

Unicorns are for girls! I ride a Pegasus...

• Like 2

Rozellem, this has actually become a joke with Hansa, he has been here a long time, we go way back and so many times at so many gatherings, we missed each other...

Perhaps this time I will be lucky... I had become convinced that he was just a myth!

Hansa, ride what you wish... although a knight on a white horse sounds cool to me.... JUST BE THERE!

Mara,

We will be there unless something comes up out of the blue.

Will PM you our email address now.

Thanks

Wonderful, the more the merrier! We will hold thumbs for good weather!

Come on Melbourne folk, read and confirm your presence, it would be lovely if we are a whole crowd!

We would like to come, but dont have a car yet. Or know left from right for that matter :ph34r:

And I dont know my weekend work schedule because I havent started yet. But lets see how it goes...

Plenty time still Eyebrow, all you will need besides the car is a Gps!

Samoss, please check your PM's I sent you a reply.

Right we have another update, for those that have not yet given me their email address.

I spoke the the game ranger today at Hanging Rock, he said that we are allowed to bring our gas barbies, if we so wish. I was amazed at that, did not think it would be allowed. For those that are thinking of using the electric barbies, please remember to bring a roll of tin foil, I would put that down and cook on top of that. I am always wary of how well the barbie has been cleaned.

I sent out an email update today as well, if you have not received it, and you have PM'd me your email address, please give me a "hey wake up" PM and I will add you. If you have not supplied me with your email address and you are thinking of coming, please PM it to me, that at least give us an idea of how many will be there.

Thank you for your kind co-operation guys.

Hallo Mara

I am a new member to the forum and arrived from South Africa last year. I am still battling to make new friends and would love to join the outing in November, if you can just keep me informed please.

Many thanks

Hi Mara

Sorry i do not know what PM means? This is the first time in my life that i am using this method of communicating (sorry i am still a bit old school).

Many thanks

Okay Tweety67, I am going to send you a PM, then all you need is to reply. When you log on next it should come up on your screen. Top right hand corner you can hit view, it will take you to another screen and then you will see the message. You can then reply, just like you replied to this thread. When you are done, you hit the send button.

Just checked, it appears the weather forecast for the 23rd November is 23 degrees... hopefully without showers!

Come on guys, make a note in your diary... weather has moved to 24 degrees and sunny, we look forward to seeing a lot of you there!

Hi Mara

This sounds like a great get together..I shall check with my husband, but would love to be there, with our 2 boys in tow! Shall send you my email address too. xx

Thank you JulesM, duly noted, your email address received and added to the list. We are roughly 20 families/singles that have been added to the list, so hopefully we will have a great turnout.

Hi everyone, well I was a good person today, took a drive out to Hanging Rock to check it out. Looks pretty good to me. Shared my scone with strawberry jam and cream with three parrots, not shy either, they were right on the table 30cms away from me. Had to chuckle at them, they were not as interested in the actual scone as they were in cleaning out the bowl that the jam and cream came in. Believe me, those three feathered birds would make great dishwashers, there was nothing left in the bowl when they were done!

Best route would be to go out on the Calder Freeway, it is all sign posted, I am sure your GPS will take you there.

When you get to the Hanging Rock Picnic Grounds, enter the gate and IMMEDIATELY turn left, to the tennis courts, when you get to the tennis courts on the left, there is a picnic hut on the right, park get your stuff out and head to the hut, that is where we will be. The hut has two electric barbeques and there are toilet facilities close by. This is on the edge of the picnic areas, so I thought it would be easy to find and less busy. Today was a Friday and there must have been 30 cars there, so imagine what a nice sunshine Sunday will be like. There is a lovely cafe, bit pricey though, but the parrots definitely recommend the scones/jam/cream!

To the left of the cafe there is a children's playground, but there is not a lot going on there, I think the whole idea of the place is the beautiful nature around you.

Perhaps you could bring some balls for the kids to kick around, maybe the guys want to play a game of cricket or something.

I would definitely suggest that you bring a chair and picnic blankets though, not sure if there would be place enough for you all to sit.

I have, I think, four of those hammock type fold up picnic chairs, which I can loan out if anyone is interested, they are also for sale for $10 each, if you like it you can pay and keep it. They come each in their own individual bag.

The latest weather forecast has moved to 24 degrees and sunshine! Make sure you have hats for yourselves and your children...

Would it not be great if we could each bring something "lekker" for desert, and share it around?

Hope you post pictures of your event after the fact, sounds like it is going to be tons of fun :) Will be there in spirit!! AND HOPEFULLY we can catch the next one :)

Hi Mel-B, will definitely endeavour to post photographs, after the fact...especially of the elusive "Hansa" :whome: :whome: :whome:

Hahaha! There will be no photo... just a blur or a glare on the photo where Hansa stood every time... :)

Sheesh I had not thought of that, I had become confident of the fact that he is a myth, we will have to see... I must remember to take my garlic necklace, perhaps that will ward off the evils and allow me to catch him on camera!

So here's a silly question/suggestion.

I've noticed that quite a few of us (myself included) don't have a car. I was considering suggesting that a couple of us share a car up there. I live in Docklands and would be leaving from there (I could also swing past Southern Cross station to collect someone if need be) - the total cost for the car for the whole day would be $50 and I could take up to 4 people - would anyone be willing to join in this car pool?

Donovan, what a wonderful idea! If you have problems with that then if you can make your way to Sunbury station, earliesh, then you can travel with me!