Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

Lol no not all idioms can be translated. When I just started dating hubby we were with friends one night. Now my brother had bad hayfever and during the night we heard his ears make a noise ( was very weird since I have never heard someone else make the noise) and someone made a comment "sien ek se mos lankal jou koppie raas" The afr people packed out laughing and Hubby who is English did a direct translation and didn't know why it was so funny. He asked me that night why "koppie raas" was so funy because head making a noise isn't funny. 

That and I'm still looking for a translation for  "jammer on van jou K@K te hoor" direct translations make it sound like you have real sympathy... 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

2 things since I last updated. One funny, the other less so.

1. I was standing in this group of people at work discussing the weirdest things they have eaten while away on holiday. In die end on lady spoke up and said she ate the most weirdest thing in South Africa a few years ago. And it "still gives her nightmares". I, obviously, started to listen more intently. What could it be? I thought. Everything went through my mind,  from Mopani worms to offal to walkie-talkies. Anyway, she pulled her face into a grimace and said... Monkey gland sauce. I nearly spat out my mouth full of tea across the room! She looked thoroughly disgusted at these "monkey glands" and so did her audience. I tired to reassure her that "no monkeys were killed in the making of that sauce", but I dont think she believed me. <_< Well, maybe we saffers should revisit the name of that sauce, it certainly doesnt sound like an onion and chutney based sauce to the poor tourists!

2. I broke my spine while on holiday 6 weeks ago. In 4 places. My life came to a shocking halt. I couldnt walk afterwards, but after the scans it turned out that was just due to pain and instability, rather than spinal cord damage. And the fear of not being able to work after the injury and therefore loosing our right to remain in the country, was astronomical. I have been in so much pain and had so many drugs in the last month and a half... I cant even begin to explain what I have been through. But, I am here and I am not in a wheelchair. And I am therefore happy (when the PTSD doesnt grab me too much ;)). These things happen in an instant, dont they? (It happened near where someone has recently been killed by a shark, so I cant complain.)

And so we wait for our application to be processed.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ouch! How did you do that!?

As someone whose spouse has back issues, loads of sympathy, hope you feel better soon...

• Like 1

That's pretty shocking!! I am so sorry that happened. I hope you are able to get the support you need to heal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CyberJoe said:

Wow @Eyebrow!!! All the best, that sounds horrific! What on earth happened?

I went out to Whitsunday island with my family on a boat. It was by a tour operator. There were 40 people on the boat.

I sat in front. We were going straight into the wind and a huge wave hit and the nose of the boat went up and down alarmingly. The speed with which it went upwards threw me into the air and when I fell back down it was with my back across the seat. And I could feel (?hear) it snap.

My family was not injured and I am so grateful for that.

The tour operator had 100's of reviews on TripAdvisor and they were all 5 starts with "best day ever" comments. So I never for one minute expected this.

I told the spinal surgeon I had a "freak accident" on a boat. And he just laughed. Saying, he saw one or two such accidents a week. And that they are not common knowledge because of the tourism trade. This made me think twice about safety standards in Australia...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That is the best news of the day. I am so happy for you guys!

• Like 1

Well done!

Go and take a bottle of good red wine and make sure you celebrate this with your family. 

Go and create the fanfare self!! You all deserve it. Merry Xmas.

• Like 1

Ok.  So there I was, crying in the Coles Carpark. You finally got it. BEST NEWS!!!

Ticket to Cairns booked.  Put some champerz on ice! I'm a comin'!!!

• Like 3

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL news Eyebrow!!!! Tears of happiness from me too. You did it! Tenacious and unwavering determination has got you there. Sooooo happy for you all... the best Christmas present for you and your family. Your move to a regional centre was a winner. Congratulations :D

image.thumb.png.8cb611255ee400658272867291ad3a62.png

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2

I have goosebumps head to toe. So thrilled for you! Congratulations - what a Christmas gift!!! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

And so, after 6 years, we have our visa.

Congratulations to you and your family!

You have had the courage and strength to undertake a journey that entailed many risks with roadblocks to overcome along the way and some challenging decisions to make. 

Many people would not even have commenced this journey, many people would have given up at one of the roadblocks along the way. 

I wish you and your family all the very best for your future as Australian Permanent Residents. 

• Like 2

Woop woop!!! Congrats! So CHUFFED for you guys!

• Like 1

Congratulations @Eyebrow!! I cannot believe how happy I am to read your message even though we've never even met 😁 All the best and enjoy your Christmas time with the family!

• Like 1