Decent suburbs to live in Perth

Splunken

Hi all,

I posted this in General and didn't get much of a response, but they suggested I repost this here.

It looks like I might be off to Perth in the next couple of months and was hoping someone could give us some advice on decent areas to live in Perth. I'll be working near to King's Park and was wondering what suburbs I should be considering. We don't have any kids, but do have a dog. I'd like to keep my weekly rent around $650. What would the commute into town would be like (in a car, motorbike or preferably bicycle) if I lived further out? I'd like to live in an area similar in "vibe" to the Southern Suburbs in Cape town, living in an area with the odd tree would be nice. Padbury and the areas around it seem quite nice on google maps and the rental seems ok too. Are these decent suburbs?

What is the difference between North and South of the river?

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

One side is south, the other is north of the river, lol. You walked into that one! South is more old school, whereas the north is newer and has a higher population of expats. I live way north and love it. But its horses for courses.

Yeah I think the CBD, the northwestern suburbs (can be expensive), Joondalup, Hillarys,Currumbine, Duncraig... those areas are quite nice.

Might be better to ask which suburbs to avoid? Balga, Belmont and Nollamara spring to mind...

Edited by Donovan83

I am not sure how far you want to be from work, the closer you are to the city , the more you pay for rent.

With in cycling distance to the City, look at trendy areas like Mt Lawley , Subiaco, Wembly downs , Leederville...those are all within cycling distance to the city.

Sorry , I have no idea how much the rent is per week , but I think those areas are do able for an apartment in your price range.

I am not sure how far you want to be from work, the closer you are to the city , the more you pay for rent.

With in cycling distance to the City, look at trendy areas like Mt Lawley , Subiaco, Wembly downs , Leederville...those are all within cycling distance to the city.

Sorry , I have no idea how much the rent is per week , but I think those areas are do able for an apartment in your price range.

Thanks for the info, but by "cycling distance" I mean ~20km one way, so Hillary's, Padbury, Duncraig and at a stretch Joondalup seem to be in the right sort of radius.

Also look at Tapping (where we stay), Carramar,Darch,Madeley and Landsdale. What a lot of my friends in these areas do is drive to Edgewater train station and park - then cycle into the city. One day in, next day out.

Where to stay depends on your lifestyle choice (I would say amount you would like to spend on rent, but with the budget you mentioned you have choices).

Most South Africans (and for some reason English) I find prefer it North of the River.

With a tree or two - I find Woodvale / Edgewater to be nice and quiet at night and still under an hour with public transport from your doorstep to the city.

If you prefer closer to the city - Leederville, Subiaco, Mt Lawley, etc. offer a nice cafe / restaurant / etc. lifestyle but then again - closer to the city - looking at similar weekly rents - means you get less "livable space". With a dog, I presume you may want a bit of yard?

What we did was rented short term (4 weeks and extended it to another 2) and checked out the suburbs first (things tend to look different in real life than Google Earth).

Also, we found things work a bit different in the real estate market here than what I was used to. Pending on where you look, you might have a supply / demand issue. Home opens are only for a scheduled (not on demand) 15 minutes (IF the agent rocks up). There may be a few people applying, which means you may apply for more (even the ones that don't tick all the boxes) houses.

We live in Padbury, close to two stations, Mitchell Freeway, Whitfords shopping centre, 5 minutes to beautiful beaches. My husband works into the city and cycles at least 3 times to work. It is 25km each way. Rentals appox $480 - $580 per week.

• Like 1

Great, thanks for the info Noele2106. Is the area nice to live (as in are the neighbours involved?)

We live in Padbury, close to two stations, Mitchell Freeway, Whitfords shopping centre, 5 minutes to beautiful beaches. My husband works into the city and cycles at least 3 times to work. It is 25km each way. Rentals appox $480 - $580 per week.

• 2 months later...

I love Baldivis and Secret Harbor, out of the city about 45 min, very close to the train service, and the prices for houses and rentals are reasonable... Although being south of the river you will be told that you stay in Benoni :-) or in Aussie terms, a bogan