Is this a decent salary

neburr

On another note, what are the typical bonus systems in Aus ... is it common place to get an annual bonus, and if so, what percentage of your salary is common?

There is unfortunately no such thing as a typical bonus sytem in Australia. Companies that do provide it are few and far between. I am lucky to be working for one that does but the bonus system is based on your own personal performance as well as the company's performance. If the company does not do well in a certain year, then the bonusses will obviously be affected by it. We also only receive our bonusses during the company's year-end, which is end of April which defeats the purpose we usually used it for (December holidays and Xmas). My husband has never received a bonus with any of the 6 companies that he has worked for. I have also been lucky enough to receive an annual increase (also in April). It is MUCH lower than what we were used to in RSA but it is linked to inflation so it makes sense. I actually laugh at it all (not really) because in the end all the increase does is cover for the yearly increase in Private Health Cover and motor insurance if I'm lucky, it will cover the yearly increase in our rental and increases in electricity prices. Again, my husband has not received an increase in salary at the companies that he has worked for except the last two. He had to fight for it as well. He was able to get a 2.5% and 3% increase, respectively.

There is unfortunately no such thing as a typical bonus sytem in Australia. Companies that do provide it are few and far between. I am lucky to be working for one that does but the bonus system is based on your own personal performance as well as the company's performance. If the company does not do well in a certain year, then the bonusses will obviously be affected by it. We also only receive our bonusses during the company's year-end, which is end of April which defeats the purpose we usually used it for (December holidays and Xmas). My husband has never received a bonus with any of the 6 companies that he has worked for. I have also been lucky enough to receive an annual increase (also in April). It is MUCH lower than what we were used to in RSA but it is linked to inflation so it makes sense. I actually laugh at it all (not really) because in the end all the increase does is cover for the yearly increase in Private Health Cover and motor insurance if I'm lucky, it will cover the yearly increase in our rental and increases in electricity prices. Again, my husband has not received an increase in salary at the companies that he has worked for except the last two. He had to fight for it as well. He was able to get a 2.5% and 3% increase, respectively.

Thanks for the reply - Well that's definitely not good news at all :(

I work with a ton of companies in a consulting role and the only people who get bonuses are the owners, it is just not a thing here, also with the inflation rate so low companies generally dont give increases either, it is the exception not the rule

Give me a min to get it formatted and i will pop you my costs budget by forum message, we are in Melbourne doing the middle class shuffle so the numbers should be meaningfull

Totally depends on the business and your role. I've had mixed success with bonuses and increases in 8 years. I worked for the same company in 2007/2008 and got almost nothing but I was quite junior. Fast forward a few years, returned and am now a manager at the same company. I now get bonuses based on team, company and individual performance as well as KPI's so they all add up.

It varies by year. Last year we missed target, so we missed the team bonus. This year we did well, so it's bonus time baby!!

So it's really not cut an dry. It varies greatly by company, role, team, and economic conditions.

Increase have also varied dependent on the circumstances. If you prove yourself, can show that you bring value, and fight for them, companies generally reward you.

Some companies and even departments are just crap. That's when you have to move on to move up. :)

• Like 1