Wheatbelt Region WA

RitaE

Hi all,

So, we had to choose a region in WA for our 489 visa. all done and dusted. The only region we could choose was the wheatbelt region. Anyone on the forum that knows anything about this region? the towns, wich is better etc.

We were looking at Northam, obviously it depends on a few factors.

- if we will be restricted on the visa

- were we find jobs etc.

Would just like to hear anything about this region.

Thanks

Rita

Very big region, with several small country towns( as in a few thousand people or smaller) scattered throughout the area. All depends on where you can find work. So don't think of settling in a town, I would suggest, rather look for the work and then move there. look at Narrogin, Merrdedin, Wagin, etc. Northam is the largest town, check to see if Geraldton falls in the region as well.

Thanks Drought

Also thought to get the job and then move where job takes us.

would you recommend Geraldton?

Visa is on husband's name.

He's a diesel mechanic.

We will be looking for work in this field

Awesome region! I still maintain that the best part of Australia for me is the country folk of WA. True salt of the earth people. You cant go wrong and let your hearts be at rest. This is a wonderful part of the country.

• Like 3

Thnx Jordy.

That puts my mind a bit at rest. Less to stress about.

I lived in Perth for a while and traveled to the country a few times. I agree with the above, country WA is great (metro is too). Lovely place to live - probably even moreso for tradesmen types.

• Like 1

Yup- could not agree more- would move country in a heartbeat. In fact, might just start looking for opportunities again right now!

I like Geraldton, but then I like fishing and all sorts of seafood!. Largest town in the region North of Perth, good range of schools, businesses and a future growth area if you believe the urban planners.

• Like 1

Hi RitaE

Not sure if this will help, but I am also applying for the 489. My agent tells me that I am allowed to work in any Regional area in Oz. So my plan is to get a job in a regional area and just get to Oz. After this, I will try to get a job in the state that has Sponsored us.

Two things with this plan. Firstly we will be in Oz so it should be easier to find a job in the State I want to get to, just because I am closer for interviews and job searching and the like.

Secondly because the visa is issued by the government, not the state, as long as I am actualy working full time, I have already begun the process of fullfilling the requirements of the visa. This then will get me closer to PR.

Moving twice is not ideal, however at least we will be in 0z. If I try and get a job only in the State which has Sponsored us, it might take us a long time to get there, especially as I am only planning to move after I have a job.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thanx everyone

Feeling much better now about the region.