Jobs for 40+ (age)

miran

Hi to all Adelaidians (?!)

I'm really getting desperate here!!! We got our PR Visa on 12 May and are planning "THE MOVE" in January 2015. My Teaching Skills was approved in 2009, but I have to redo them again for Registration. I thought I would be able to Register as Teacher from South Africa but I can't.... I need to do a 7 hour mandatory course in Adelaide before I can register.

My problem: We went to Adelaide on a LSD in 2008 - I lost my heart! I really want to move there. My husband too. We thought that I would get a job first and then he can start looking around, but this is clearly not going to happen! Now he is the one looking for jobs, but in all the wrong places............ Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane ect. He has his mind set on getting a job before moving to Australia (no matter where) I'm like a spoilt child: I WANT TO GO TO ADELAIDE!!!! I've already chosen schools and suburbs :blush-anim-cl:

He is a printer with more than 20 years experience on huge printing machines (companies like PMP, Hannonprint ect in Australia) The job availability in that field is not very promising..... He is willing to do almost anything (even driving forklifts or other heavy vehicles ect ect ect) Farmlife or Game Ranger, even fire-fighter is possibilities..... but for everything you need some kind of course or certificate....

At last, my question: Could anyone in Adelaide please recommend a job-advertising company? Or even suggest places where we could start looking for jobs for hubby? Currently we live in a small town, so we are even willing to go rural.... (We loved Mount Barker - thanks to Bob....)

Thanks so much! Our search continues but I really hope and pray that I see you guys in Adelaide :cry:

Why don't you mov to Oz and find work, then your husband can follow and find work afterwards ?

Try a company called ExtraStaff. Http://extrasraff.com.au

Although they are linked to companies that do sone of rhe required health and safety and other courses he's gping to need to be in Australia for someone to take notice of him.

On the teaching thing. We came over on her skills as a teacher and I know you can register from RSA in QLD and NSW all done via the Internet and post. I know it's not Adelaide but maybe you can register with one of them and then convert so to speak.

Miran, I know people probably get tired of me saying so, but go where the jobs are, you cannot live on fresh air! Once here, with jobs, you can look around, and perhaps after a year or two that wonderful job you were after will show it's head in Adelaide and then you can move there!

• Like 3

When I move, it's going to be with 2 kids (ages 9 and 11) We are planning that hubby goes first, get settled and then we follow. Maybe we should stop planning too much and just go the "barefoot over the Drakensberg route"...... Get there first and then start applying asap!

I'm the adventurous one, but my husband is the realist and he argues exactly the same case as Mara. Just get a job, where-ever, we can always relocate later.... But there my adventurism stops: I don't want to uproot my kids more than once.

It's so sad that you have to Register in each state. I think I'll definitely Register in NSW in the meantime. If all else fails, we could go to Sydney Hills. We liked Castle Hills and the surrounding areas quite a bit too.

Thanks for the tip about "Exstrastaff". We'll definitely check that out.

We'd love to welcome your family to the Hills District miran. We have a lovely mothers group and 2 different facebook pages that you can connect to. We just organised a lovely Bake Off 2 weekends ago where those who wanted to, baked some lovely goodies and people could come and buy from you (almost like a "tuisnywerheid" on steroids). All the money went to a charity. You might not want to leave the Hills District for Adelaide once you're here. To be honest, I wouldn't mind checking out Adelaide one day. Seen quite a few photos and the place looks really peaceful.

• Like 1

I have a cousin in Sydney Hills and another one in Brisbane. They love it where they live. I'm not negative about other cities, I just prefer Adelaide. But I think I must stop being an "a*&ole" about moving anywhere else in Australia. (Just not NT.....)

Thanks for the great advice!

• Like 1

Ok I have to reinforce what Mara said because I didn't not listen to her and paid the price. The situation in Australia has changed drastically over the last few years and work is in demand, there are many other nationalities in those queues for jobs in Coles and they stand a better chance with their humble disposition depending on your English.

In Brisbane Henry and I cleaned instead of IT and Finance. In Perth he has reskilled to healthcare worker and has to fight off work, me I am back in Corporate and suffering intimidation and bullying from an Aussie.

We are happy in Perth in spite of the weather as we have many friends where in Brisbane we were lonely. If I can share that I dragged my husband over after he was with Liberty for 28 years and in his 50s and now he doesn't want to go back.

I don't think your husband will get work as a printer as I have heard of another with similar skills.

Come with an open mind and come prepared to fight for what you want, sometimes its only your faith that pulls you through. Adelaide has good priced housing I am told.

Australia has taught me that the best made plans were meant to be broken. Maybe come ahead.

I don't think any of us can say whether another will or won't get a job. Sometimes jobs don't present themselves to one person no matter what but another gets a job in the same area easily. The job market is not easy, but not impossible. There are still printers although not as many as there once were.

• Like 1

I also believe that Adelaide had a very small job market, and I'm afraid I agree with May.

As a teacher and printer, I believe it's very likely that one or both of you will end up in totally different careers, unless you are willing to accept a job as a regional teacher.

You are going to have to go where the jobs are and not be too fussy ;) unless you get lucky.

I agree about not moving schools, if at all possible, but choosing a state with a small job market is going to make things more difficult.

• Like 1

Australia has taught me that the best made plans were meant to be broken. .........

So very true!!!!!!!

This may help:

Official figures reveal Victoria has become the hardest place on the mainland to find a job

Victoria has become the hardest place on the mainland to find a job. The latest vacancy count from the Australian Bureau of Statistics puts the chance of an unemployed Victorian landing a vacant job in the state at close to one in nine.

That means there are about nine unemployed Victorians scrambling for each vacant job.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/official-figures-reveal-victoria-has-become-the-hardest-place-on-the-mainland-to-find-a-job-20140402-35yvo.html#ixzz34QRUKpuJ

Edited by Fish

Okay, so that takes Melbourne of the list...... Back to plan A: Move to Belair, Adelaide (without jobs :blush:) Get registered asap and do relief teaching, do a course as tax consultant on the side, look for families who need a tutor or help with homework in the afternoons, try online tutoring ect. Can even advertise myself as hockey or chess coach.....

Hubby is a jack of all trades - he should get something soon. He even did some roof isolation part-time.

Point is: We are going to be FINE! In 7 months time, I'm going to read these posts again and wonder what all the stress was about!

Okay, so that takes Melbourne of the list...... Back to plan A: Move to Belair, Adelaide (without jobs :blush:) Get registered asap and do relief teaching, do a course as tax consultant on the side, look for families who need a tutor or help with homework in the afternoons, try online tutoring ect. Can even advertise myself as hockey or chess coach.....

Hubby is a jack of all trades - he should get something soon. He even did some roof isolation part-time.

Point is: We are going to be FINE! In 7 months time, I'm going to read these posts again and wonder what all the stress was about!

Miran remember to get your Blue Card asap if you will be working with children.

Awesome link Crisplet :ilikeit: Thanks!!!

The link that Fish sent is a bit more depressing...... South Australia is not far behind Victoria regarding unemployment! I always thought people struggle in Perth to get jobs (that's what I was told :blush-anim-cl:) West Australia is actually the best bet.

Anybody here have an opinion about Belair Primary School? I know St John is just around the corner but the smaller school looks more like our cup of tea...

• Like 1

Miran also note that it's not called a Blue Card in South Australia - every state is different :)

http://www.aifs.gov.au/cfca/pubs/factsheets/a141887

Whoops! Now I learnt something, thanks Crisplet.

Miran if you can get hold of Annette on the forum, she might have some more info for you. She doesn't come online much any more though. Her kids went to Blackwood High and she lived in Belair. I'm sure the Primary School will be fine.

It's a nice leafy area which is accessed via quite a windy road along the side of the hill. The area is hilly, as you probably know. Nice shopping strip :)

Miran, I wouldnt tak Melbourne off the list because stats says its difficult to find a job. There are so many factors influencing that and i actually wonder if its accurate seeing as how everyone in canberra struggles to find a job. An example, im in recruitment and took 6 months before i got a job. Hubby in sales and could not get sales job. Got job through a friend and is now doing his own thing. My brother is a programmer and his partner an auditor. He got a job after 1st interview, didnt like it and resigned applied for another and got it and is earning mega bucks. She got auditing job after 1 application and 1 interview. If i were you i would apply everywhere

To add to ACT' woes, when i advertise a blue collar job i get in excess of 30 applications. People are desperate for work

Meant to say my brother and his partner is in melbourne

• Like 1

When I move, it's going to be with 2 kids (ages 9 and 11) We are planning that hubby goes first, get settled and then we follow. Maybe we should stop planning too much and just go the "barefoot over the Drakensberg route"...... Get there first and then start applying asap!

I'm the adventurous one, but my husband is the realist and he argues exactly the same case as Mara. Just get a job, where-ever, we can always relocate later.... But there my adventurism stops: I don't want to uproot my kids more than once.

It's so sad that you have to Register in each state. I think I'll definitely Register in NSW in the meantime. If all else fails, we could go to Sydney Hills. We liked Castle Hills and the surrounding areas quite a bit too.

Thanks for the tip about "Exstrastaff". We'll definitely check that out.

We had our hearts set on Melbourne before we came, but only once I got there did I realise we were just being naive. Ours was just a romantic notion, and probably a symptom of how unhappy we were in SA. One thing we were sure of, Sydney would just be too much of a busy big city rush for us.

As luck would have it I only got one job offer, in Sydney. We ended up in Castle Hill and we honestly love it here. Close enough to the city for public transport, and just far enough away to drive out into the country side on weekends. In fact, this is the area where I would like to buy a house, and have my kids finish the next 12 years of schooling.

The moral of my story, you don't know until you are here, so just come. There are going to be some really tough trying times, but you push through them and get over them. I will never forget walking about 20 k's one Saturday in Castle Hill going from inspection to inspection with my backpack and Ipad looking for a rental. Every place I went to had about 20 desperate people like me looking, and only managing to find a place after a month because I think the agents were starting to feel sorry for me.

Edited by AndreR
  • Like 2