Paint preferences

DXB2OZ

Ok, slightly odd question for anyone who has painted internal walls in Oz - what's your paint preference and why? I know from experience that international brand are not all the same, so am looking for a good paint, easy to use, won't break the bank.

Also, any tips for hanging pictures on plaster board/gyprock/whatever they call it? Personally, am a Hilti gal, but that really works best for solid walls.

We always use Dulux. Probably out of habit and familiarity.

For hanging stuff on plasterboard: go into Bunnings and get someone to help you.

We used British paints in our last house. Couldn't complain and from memory it didn't break the bank.

Our current house (bought last year) is an 80's gem with 80's colouring to match. Light pink carpets and light blue walls anyone? We're about to embark on the re-painting exercise so buying paint is on our list soon.

For plasterboard, I use the plastic (or metal) plasterboard screws for heavier items. The ones where you screw in the fixing and then screw a metal screw into the fixing.

For lighter pictures, just the cheapo nail/wire kits that you get which seen to do the trick.

Easier to cover up when you want I removed as the holes they make are small.

We are renting, so we are not allowed to hit nails into the wall. The Velcro type stuff (M3 Command strips) you buy in the shops works like a bomb! I'm very impressed by how much weight they can actually hold.

Hi

We are using taubmans. Easy to use. Easy to clean. Looks great. We use this on both walls, doors and trim.

Below is a link to a video from bunnings about wall anchors.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/indoor-decorating/installation-assembly/how-to-install-wall-anchors

Hope this helps.

have painted more walls than I care to remember: Internal walls: British paints lower quality than Dulux or Taubmans, but cheaper. External, would go Dulux.

Relatively cheap way to renovate and if you stuff it up, or have a daughter that changes colour preference as regularly as sunrise and sunset, it does not take too long to fix.

Probably not the "in-thing" anymore, but the Dulux colour effects for feature walls were great- now it seems to be wallpaper is making a comeback.

Drought, I have no faith in my ability to line up wallpaper, but I can wield a paintbrush. These colour effects look fab and I think I know just where to use them. Thanks everyone, fabulous tips.

We used Resene but I don't really have an opinion on quality. I think there was more colour choice. You can do half strength and quarter strength of their shades.

You can also colour match across brands, so pick your colour then ask for it in the brand of your choice.

DXB2OZ, I used the suede effect on a feature wall and was quite pleased with the outcome- it does require a bit more patience as you can't simply roll it on.

Make sure that you get quality paint for doors and skirting if you are painting them- makes all the difference with the final look.

I love the suede, although it's hell to paint over. Already have a plan for the stone, possibly the metallic in my daughters bedroom.