Adelaide to run pilot work-for-dole scheme

Bronwyn&Co

I may get lynched for this but this sounds like a good thing to me. If your young and able then you should be working for the money not getting it just because your young.

• Like 2

I may get lynched for this but this sounds like a good thing to me. If your young and able then you should be working for the money not getting it just because your young.

I agree. You just need that push to get out of the door, so to speak. Otherwise staying unemployed is too much of a habit.

• Like 3

Yep, can't see anything wrong with it at all.

I agree.....there are a few reasons that it should be a good scheme (just remember that it was a dismal failure and waste of taxpayer money under Howard).

It gives people skills, even if it is the most basic job it is something they can put on their resume.

I do believe that those who do work for the dole, should get slightly more money than those on Newstart, otherwise they are just going to muck about and be more trouble than help to the organisation they are sent to.

Read the comments below the article.

• Like 1

Brilliant scheme ! The only 'thing' is us immigrants who might need an odd job to sustain us till a proper job is found. But I guess a healthier community is better than having to wait another week for a permanent job !

And working youth have more worth in themselves, will flounder less and be hopefully more responsible. All in all, thumbs up for Adelaide ! We would love to live there ...

We don't see anything wrong with it but you should hear the Aussie's moan about it. What will their youth do without the cash. We can't possibly expect them to go out into this big bad world alone and make a living.

• Like 1

We don't see anything wrong with it but you should hear the Aussie's moan about it. What will their youth do without the cash. We can't possibly expect them to go out into this big bad world alone and make a living.

Depends who you talk to I guess. Everybody I've spoken to thinks it's a good thing. I imagine if you were 19, physically able and currently sitting on your backside receiving your beer money you wouldn't think it's a good thing :)

Work ya lazy so and so's!

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 1

I got my ass put out the instant i left school. And when I got back from army. I "jolled" for a month, then went to work. I paid my folks 50 bucks a week for a "kaya" a room that was 2.2m by 2.4m, outside with no toilet. Man it was tough but good. What a life lesson. I am all for toughening up the youngsters. (Thinks he will be lynched like Juju for this)

• Like 1

Depends who you talk to I guess. Everybody I've spoken to thinks it's a good thing. I imagine if you were 19, physically able and currently sitting on your backside receiving your beer money you wouldn't think it's a good thing :)

Work ya lazy so and so's!

Exactly, that's why I say they should receive a little more than those on Newstart, which is about $230 a week, knowing a fair few "young un's" if they have to go and work for the same cash that they'd get doing nothing..............they are just going to pitch up, get signed off, and spend the rest of their time on their mobiles.

I pity the poor sods that have to supervise them.

I know there are some kids that will just get on with things, but a 17 year old is a vexatious species. I did a training course with a dozen girls of that age.....................let's say I was educated....................

• Like 1

I got my ass put out the instant i left school. And when I got back from army. I "jolled" for a month, then went to work. I paid my folks 50 bucks a week for a "kaya" a room that was 2.2m by 2.4m, outside with no toilet. Man it was tough but good. What a life lesson. I am all for toughening up the youngsters. (Thinks he will be lynched like Juju for this)

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that the harder you have it is a kid, the better you do as an adult. My childhood was pretty k@k too, first job at the OK bazaars at 15, left matric and started working full-time at 17. 6 days a week. But I made it work for me and have had a very successful career & my own business too. Only getting a degree at the ripe old age of 42 though, lol. As the eldest of 5 kids in a poor family there was no money to study back then (y'know being so previously advantaged & all).

I fear my kids will be lazy little sods, because I just can't be hard enough on them...? they only know the good life.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 3

As much as I don't like TA and a lot of his policies I think this is a great one. Make them work..even if it's just cleaning streets. Those that get money and lay about just get up to mischief. I also like the policy he is proposing for school leavers to choose to go to the armed forces for a year to do training.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that the harder you have it is a kid, the better you do as an adult. My childhood was pretty k@k too, first job at the OK bazaars at 15, left matric and started working full-time at 17. 6 days a week. But I made it work for me and have had a very successful career & my own business too. Only getting a degree at the ripe old age of 42 though, lol. As the eldest of 5 kids in a poor family there was no money to study back then (y'know being so previously advantaged & all).

I fear my kids will be lazy little sods, because I just can't be hard enough on them...? they only know the good life.

Hey Bron your kids are delightful. You should be grateful that your kids have not had to have "a pretty k@k" childhood like yours - thanks to you ...:):) That's what we all strive for, to give our children a better start than we may have had.

No guarantee that if if have a tough childhood that you are more likely to succeed as an adult or in a career, in fact the opposite probably applies..:)

When I was at Aiken & Carter in my youth ( and that's a "moerse"long time ago) most of the guys (no girls in those days :) doing CA were from reasonably wealthy families whose "daddy's" were FD, CEO etc only about 10 % were "peasants" like me from the West Rand...or East Rand :)

Some kids need more support than other, so I like any system that provides that support.

Just like some employees need more support than others....:)

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hey Bron your kids are delightful. You should be grateful that your kids have not had to have "a pretty k@k" childhood like yours - thanks to you ...:):) That's what we all strive for, to give our children a better start than we may have had.

No guarantee that if if have a tough childhood that you are more likely to succeed as an adult or in a career, in fact the opposite probably applies..:)

When I was at Aiken & Carter in my youth ( and that's a "moerse"long time ago) most of the guys (no girls in those days :) doing CA were from reasonably wealthy families whose "daddy's" were FD, CEO etc only about 10 % were "peasants" like me from the West Rand...or East Rand :)

Some kids need more support than other, so I like any system that provides that support.

Just like some employees need more support than others....:)

Enjoy!

Awww cheers Manny :) How's the good life?