All we need is a good ad...

Eyebrow

This country looks awesome. Think we might have to change the name of this site to AUSAfrica to cater for the flood of requests for people seeking to migrate there.

• Like 1

What a weird ad - the guy has a white cane and is blind. Are they trying to say that you have to be blind to think that South Africa is a great place? Very strange.

• Like 1

Wonder what the "sorry we're closed" was about. Seems they don't want us back.

• Like 1

What a weird ad - the guy has a white cane and is blind. Are they trying to say that you have to be blind to think that South Africa is a great place? Very strange.

Maybe you have to be blind not to see the crime and corruption?

So terribly sad that this is not the South Africa that everyone gets to see. The add gives me such a pang of nostalgia of the beauty that could be.... if only.. Only when you pay R10,000.00 per person per night to stay in the Sabi-Sabi as a tourist, who gets taken away from all the poverty and corruption. :glare:

South Africa is an amazingly beautiful country - and so is Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, North Korea… Will I ever go there? NEVER!

• Like 2

How cute, they even showed the Johannesburg skyline, as if it's a real city that you can go visit and walk down the street and find stuff to do. Sweet.

• Like 2

I think it's a great ad. Very cleverly done and it does not show anything that cannot feasibly be done in SA.

SA is a great place for tourists, and everything that happens in that video is possible for just about any American, British, Aussie or European tourist to do easily and affordably on foreign currency - even relatively safely if they stay within the designated tourist areas.

I agree that living there is a different story, and not a chance will I go back to live but come on guys, give credit where it's due - it's not a complete wasteland.

We got married in SA and my wife's Aussie friends and family flew over. I spent a lot of the time being their tour guide and making sure they were kept safe. They had a fantastic time and a cheap holiday.

When they left, they said they believed me about all the bad stories but couldn't reconcile in their minds how such a fantastic place hid such horrible secrets.

It really is an awesome place for tourists and that's exactly what that ad is saying.

• Like 2

I still don't get the blind guy???????????

At the end of the ad, the narrator says: "When you meet South Africa, you'll reconsider what you think you know..."

You spend most of the ad thinking he can see and then only at the end you realise that he's blind. Then you go back and watch it again and you go... "Aaaah, I seeee." :)

At least that's how I see it.

• Like 2

I still don't get the blind guy???????????

Eva I think they made the guy blind for 3 main reasons

1) It's unexpected - alluding to unexpected pleasures which await on your holiday

2) South Africa appeals to all the senses, not only sight. That's why you see the guy eating nice food, enjoying the sea, smelling grapes (?) etc anyway it's all about the senses.

3) What Hansa said :)

As for the closed restaurant I think that's supposed to convey a sense of intimacy for the diners, like the visitors are with family.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 2

As for the closed restaurant I think that's supposed to convey a sense of intimacy for the diners, like the visitors are with family.

Yep, in the UK it's referred to as a "lock in" where the pub owners close the pub but the chosen few in it continue to party. Had plenty of those at the Keg in SA "back in the day"...