Why South African whites are coming home

Eyebrow

Hi Orphan and 18,

I also know of many who would give anything to leave, but cannot. I have utter empathy for them, and it reminds me how humbled and grateful I am to have escaped that vortex of constant vigilance and fear and loathing. I am sure Gov will raid the pension tuck box at some point, they have no choice. When the e-tolls fail as well, there will be panic. Why is it that SAA, ESKOM etc keep getting bailed out?

My only regret was not coming over when I was in my twenties. But I am here now and enjoying it. I really don't know where in SA can be a safe haven for retirees? West coast in some forgotten dorpie? Karoo? Eisch, man I feel for those poor blokes. When the poor unleash, it is going to make the Rwandan genocide look like a schoolyard fight by comparison in my opinion. Why else are SAPs asking for another 3.3 Billion for riot management? They know what's coming. Civil disobedience is rife and growing. People are pissed off. And social media now enables even the poorest of the poor to mobilise and protest.

18 I agree with you, my brother says SA is cool, but his wife tells me she would do anything to leave, and he turned around the other day and said he has had a change of heart, but is now too old to leave.

• Like 1

Surferman, we are in the same boat, I have two sisters still living in Jhb. They would give their right arm to leave but at 72 and 76 respectively, there is absolutely no chance of that now. When we first arrived here, there was a chance, but then the younger sister decided that she was wary to take the leap of faith, even with our backing, and now the door is completely shut....

All I can say is, take the chance whilst you can, if you can, because the doors around the world are closing, quicker than you think.

• Like 6

I'm with you young Mara! :blush-anim-cl:

That is why I forsook the high life, all the properties, luxury cars, six figure income after tax and took a leap of faith. We prayed and asked God to deliver us, and He did. We had a seriously rocky start when we got here, all four of us lived in a single room for 2 weeks. But man we are living the life now.

• Like 2

Agreed SurferMan,

We have doubt that it will be really tough to start again, particularly at our ages. But as the old adage goes - "No Pain, No Gain"; and in our minds it will be worth the "pain" to be able to live in a lawful and safe environment.

My biggest issue here is that there is no longer any respect for the law, and as a result South Africa is degenerating into the Wild West.

We seldom see service protests, wage strikes, or any other form of public demonstration, which is not accompanied by looting, arson, and the destruction of property. Why? Because it is tolerated by the police, and the perpetrators are seldom prosecuted. The official attitude appears to be that where a "community" or large group of people is involved in civil disobedience and criminal acts, there can be no recourse. (Perhaps this is the real legacy of Ubuntu?). As a result, we see teachers and students trashing their schools, residents destroying government buildings, post office strikers torching official vehicles, and municipal employees tipping bins and spewing rubbish onto city streets. And no one is held accountable. To make matters worse, the real criminals use these opportunities to infiltrate the crowd, break shop windows and steal the contents, while the enforcement agencies merely look on.

I suppose one could still exist in such an environment by isolating oneself and moving to some remote corner of the country, as you suggest. However, this attitude of contempt for the law and other people's rights, is now creeping into the mainstream of society. Previously civilised and law-abiding citizens are increasingly adopting a couldn't-care-less attitude towards Authority in all its forms, and aggression towards others is becoming more prevalent. Extreme forms of behaviour, such as road rage, rape, and familial abuse, are on the increase nationally. People are becoming inured to violence, and obscenely unacceptable acts, such as robbing road accident victims whether dead or alive, no longer raises any public protest. Petty crime receives little to no attention from the police, and bribing traffic officials has now become accepted practice.

One must wonder how long it will take before this degenerates into all out civil war...because this must surely follow in the wake of rising unemployment, corruption, lawlessness, and government dysfunction.

All I know is that we don't want to be around when it happens!

• Like 1

Orphan that is an amazing post. Chzaau will visit shortly though to ask you all sorts of silly questions, lol.

I hope you can get here matey, it is an awesome place, and yes I am biased

All the points you raised are true, and it is not possible to correct this in SA.

• Like 1

Yes you guys are right there some challenges. But it needs to fail and the people need to suffer a fate worse the hell, that is what surferman and his kind wish upon the people of South Africa.

Come hell to play in surferman world if they are allowed to succeed at anything. I'm not sure but getting the idea that surferman preferred life under an apartheid setup, it's just comming across that way. Surferman must rub his hands in glee each time he sees a store of some South African disaster and say yeah down to hell with them, let them burn.... good on you chap, keep wishing it.

Item 2. I have an aged parent in Oz who went back at age 54, struggling to make ends meet. So be certain you understand what going on its not easy to survive on 850 dollars a fortnight. http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/global-agewatch-index-australia-ranks-outside-of-top-10-best-countries-to-grow-old-in/story-fneuz9ev-1227078485524

Love you too chzaau, lol

No I don't wish such a fate on anyone, but of course you know me better than I know myself. My statements are based on what I see, hear and have experienced first hand. JZ has to be one of the most crooked pollies out there, why does the ANC keep protecting him and why are the people of South Africa not able to bring him to justice? What are your views on Guptagate, Nkandla, Arms Deal, SAA and ESKOM bailout, nuclear deal, 783 fraud and corruption charges, Spy Tapes, et al? In my mind there is just so much crookery it makes me sad that in all probability he will walk free. Sure there are some rival examples in other 1st world countries, Putin seems a shining example. Then there the all time number 1, Kim Jong Un The Leader. Pmsl, what an asshole he is.

So no I don't WISH Ill on SA, they seem to do that on their own. I hope that one day they will triumph but on the balance of probabilities it seems highly unlikely. At least they have you matey, so never fear when chzaau is near!! :)

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you guys are right there some challenges. But it needs to fail and the people need to suffer a fate worse the hell, that is what surferman and his kind wish upon the people of South Africa.

Come hell to play in surferman world if they are allowed to succeed at anything. I'm not sure but getting the idea that surferman preferred life under an apartheid setup, it's just comming across that way. Surferman must rub his hands in glee each time he sees a store of some South African disaster and say yeah down to hell with them, let them burn.... good on you chap, keep wishing it.

Item 2. I have an aged parent in Oz who went back at age 54, struggling to make ends meet. So be certain you understand what going on its not easy to survive on 850 dollars a fortnight. http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/global-agewatch-index-australia-ranks-outside-of-top-10-best-countries-to-grow-old-in/story-fneuz9ev-1227078485524

pfffft

Say cheeeeeeeeezaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuu

Please everyone, we have had a few days of peace, absolutely no need to go and dig things up again. Just give it a rest!

• Like 3

Haaha Mara,

I missed this one, prolly cos I decided to leave chzaau in peace to do his thing. :king: I wont reply!

• Like 1

This article is so misleading that it is almost dishonest. The original article on the HCR website says "Join over 359 000 highly skilled Africans who have returned home in the past five years." The original article refers to the whole of Africa not just South Africa as suggested in the quoted article.

http://homecomingrevolution.com/south-africa/

Edited by Mikej
  • Like 1

All I can say is, take the chance whilst you can, if you can, because the doors around the world are closing, quicker than you think.

@Mara, I will inscribe your sentence above at heart, thx

• Like 2

Thanks Gya, hope your journey goes smoothly. Where are you planning to settle?

Thanks Gya, hope your journey goes smoothly. Where are you planning to settle?

Will settle in Melbourne

Fantastic, another gain for Melbourne, I like that! Hope we meet once you are here!

I have a friend in Cape Town who is VERY pro RSA. A fierce critic of the DA and could never understand why anybody would want to leave RSA. He post this on his facebook this morning. When I read, "If you have a easy way out of this country, USE IT", I almost fell off my chair. Very out of character.

"Tonight I witnessed the most disgusting display of corruption I have ever seen.

At about 10:30 PM, while I was walking from my car to my local 24-hour shop, I witnessed an accident on Blaauwberg road in which a drunk driver rear-ended a woman in a City Golf at very high speed.

The woman was shocked and disoriented, but OK. I helped her out of her car, helped her find her glasses, got her safely out of the road, etc. When I went over to the other car, probably 5 minutes after the accident happened, it was obvious that the driver was drunk. He was sitting with the door open, listening to his music, lighting a cigarette, and seemingly unaware that his car was broken, but he was also uninjured.

At about the same time I got to the second car, 5 or 6 vultures pulled up. The tow-truck drivers proceeded to take the scene over and speak to both drivers, so I backed off and let them do their thing. After a while, two burly tow-truck drivers descended on the woman and started explaining some complicated scam, telling her that she won't get paid by insurance if they discover that the other driver is drunk and she must therefore not involve the police. They had a complete plan that involved towing her car, creating documentation for a 3rd party claim, etc. This was after the same tow-truck drivers had spent about 5 minutes speaking to the driver of the other car. I also saw them handing him water and some sort of sachet of white powder which he mixed with the water and drank.

So, along with some other bystanders and the woman's boyfriend, I intervened, reminding her that she is obliged to report the accident to the police and suggesting that she follow the law and make sure things are done properly in order to protect herself. Of course, the tow-truck people then changed their story: Of course you have to report the accident! Just let's tow the cars now and you can make a statement to the police tomorrow.

Then three ambulances arrived, obviously buddies of the vulture drivers. At least 5 paramedics descended on the woman. She declined medical assistance but they insisted that they wanted to examine her. No paramedics went anywhere near the other driver. So, I approached one of them and asked him why they are paying no attention to the other driver. He told me there was nothing he can do because he was "just one person", although there was another paramedic and a dude in a "Doctor" overall standing doing nothing right next to him.

A different paramedic then marches up to me, asks me to come aside with him, and then proceeds to threaten me, claiming I am interfering with the treatment of patients. I pointed out that there is an obvious conspiracy at work here to cover up the fact that the other driver is drunk, and that someone should also examine him, not only for injuries, but in order to place on record that he is inebriated. I was threatened again. Realising that none of the paramedics were going to approach the other driver, I backed off to the edge of the scene to wait for the police. I was just in time to hear the woman's boyfriend being threatened by yet another paramedic. She was still, at this point, refusing their assistance.

Another witness called the police and they arrived about 20 minutes later. When they got there, the paramedic who threatened me informed the police that I had interfered in the treatment of a patient (not true - the woman was still refusing their assistance after the police had arrived) and that he had been compelled to restrain me (an absolute fabrication.) The cops just got their forms out and shuffled around the scene. I waited around for about 15 minutes in case they wanted to talk to me. Nobody made any noticeable attempt to test the other driver or take him into custody. He is going to get away scot-free, the innocent woman whose car was written off is going to become an unwitting accomplice to insurance fraud, and at least two people were threatened by paramedics who were protecting the drunken instigator of what could easily have been a fatal crash. Before having to deal with the lies about me that were told to the police, I elected to slip away quietly into the night.

I learned some things today:

1. Money talks - drive an expensive car and you will be able to get away with breaking the law.

2. NEVER TRUST ANYONE IN A UNIFORM TO DO THE RIGHT THING. No exceptions!

3. If you can help at the scene of an accident, do so. When the tow-trucks arrive, WALK AWAY. You don't want to get involved in their schemes.

4. If you have an easy way to get out of this country, USE IT! Things are f@*ked here.

Something special needs to be said about our paramedics. It is obvious to me that ambulances were summoned completely unnecessarily by the tow-truck drivers in order to bring some form of authority to the scene that was sympathetic to their agenda. It is also obvious that their agenda was the protection of the drunken driver for reasons that are deeply suspicious, but at which I won't hazard a guess. Apologists will say that we should not judge an entire profession on a few bad apples but tonight I saw a group of, in total, seven or eight paramedics that contained two clearly bad apples. None of the other six lifted a finger to do the right thing. I know I'll be told that it is complicated and that I will never understand unless I'm in their position, but how much do you need to understand to do the right thing? Not much. You just need to be consistent and you need to follow procedures. You are not a "good apple" if you just go along with whatever the bad apples want to do. You are just a gutless coward. Paramedics are now officially on my list of Probably Corrupt People Who Cannot Be Trusted. Because it's "complicated" and you won't understand unless you have been in the position I was in tonight."

Hi rozellem,

You know what, its probably not the first time he has seen this stuff, but maybe this time the sheer scale of collusion got to him, or it was the old straw that broke the camels back. i have been bribed, threatened, chased, beaten etc all in the name of a bribe etc.

I worked in Gov for a number of years, at SITA, and saw open meetings where civil servants divvy up upcoming contracts, appoint friends and girlfriends, with impunity. Why should they fear anything, when so few get caught? As I've said, it was that and a number of other things that made me realise words like Mara's are so true, leave while you can, its getting harder. It is so endemic as to permeate the very fabric of society. I think of little things at grass root level, the refuse guys, always asking for "something" and "Christmas my basa" (Funny, I was always a "baas" when they wanted something..) then if you dont, next time your bin is mysteriously tipped over, or 100m down the road, or broken. Or missed.

Then its the HA guys, whoe "something" or your application may take months. He/She knows "someone" in the back who can do it for you now now. Then its the Metro cops who pull you over, and even though they have NO WARRANT, no evidence of the fine even beloning to your car, arrest you. Threats of prison (and the real chance of rape, guy or girl, frightens the :censored: out of most into paying or maknig a deal) And on it goes. there are good, honest and hardworking elements in all those areas, but seriously, the evil is more.

Im so sad for the good ones who sit day in and day out, and watch the cash flow, but struggle to make ends meet and still be honest. It must eat at them.

At least he has the balls to change his position and voice it. For that i applud him. Truly, Cry the beloved Country.

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 5

Yup ...... the same thing happened to me in Cape Town a number of years ago. I was knocked off my motorbike by a drunken sod (he could hardly walk he was so drunk). I was at the scene lying in the back of an Ambulance and a policeman stepped inside and offered me the same deal .... he said that the insurance would not pay out due to the other driver being drunk and advised me to not report the fact that the other driver was drunk. I would then get paid out by the insurance company without hassle. eeish baba

I was always of the mindset that SA was different to Africa ........I have since come to realise that the gap between the two is narrowing day by day. Cry the beloved Country indeed

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So where does South africa rank for countries to grow old in?

No need to answer .. Found it on the same site ..80thout of 96...

Now my maths is soooooo bad could you tell me if that's better or worse than 13th?

Looks like your oldies should have take Their chances in oz :)

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 1

..nah, they'll more than likely high-five each other and crack open another bottle of Johnny Walker.

Johnny Walker Blue - more than likely!

Just a word of advice to any South Africans thinking of returning home.

Don't forget to bring torches

We are experiencing countrywide Eskom load-shedding, once again

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Questions, shock over golf estate murders2015-01-28 07:56

Cape Town - Neighbours and friends are reeling in shock after members of a popular family were apparently killed with an axe in their home on an exclusive golf estate near Stellenbosch on Tuesday.

Netwerk24 reported on Wednesday that businessman Martin van Breda, 55, his wife Teresa, 54, and their son Rudi, 22, were found dead in their home. Their daughter Marli, 16, is in a critical condition in hospital and son Henri, 20, was apparently slightly injured in the incident.

According to Netwerk24, no arrests have been made and a number of people are being questioned. It is uncertain where the younger son currently is, but reports indicate that he was being questioned as a witness. The Times reported that estate residents saw him being taken away from the scene by police for questioning.

It remains unclear exactly what the motive was or how they were killed, although reports indicate an axe was used.

Netwerk24 reported that Martin van Breda owned the Australian arm of international property company Engel & Völkers and the family had moved back to South Africa from Australia last year. Houses at the De Zalze Winelands Golf Estate, where they lived, average R9m, according to The Times.

Friends described them as "a perfect family", the Cape Times reported. Another friend told the Times the children were very affectionate.

The estate's homeowners association said on Tuesday that there was no breach of security at the estate, which has an 8km fence and security cameras.

3c89049725294d71a33ce090c3b58ebe.jpg
(Facebook)

another link to the story above...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/26129294/perth-family-slaughtered-in-south-africa/

Three members of a Perth family now living in South Africa have been found murdered in their home and a fourth, a teenage girl, is fighting for life.

Martin van Breda, 55, his wife Theresa, 54, and son Rudi, 22, were found dead at their home in the exclusive De Zalze Golf Estate in the Stellenbosch region of South Africa early this morning.

Daughter Marli, 16, was taken to hospital with severe injuries and son Henri, 20, was treated at the scene for injuries.

It was reported that Henri had been taken away for questioning as a potential witness. Police spokesman Andre Traut said there had been no arrests.

South African news websites quoted emergency medical services spokesman Robert Daniels as saying the victims had been killed with an axe.

“What I can say is they were not shot, the patients were axed. The daughter was rushed to hospital with severe head trauma and a severed jugular,” Daniels said.

“The other son had minor bruises on his arms. He was treated at the scene.”

It is understood the family lived in Perth for several years before returning to South Africa last year.