Behind Paradise: watch the new full movie that peels back crime in SA suburbia

mistermoose

In September 2012, a resident of Hout Bay, South Africa, awoke to the icy point of a screwdriver at his throat and the glare of a torch in his eyes.

That victim of home invasion was Gordon Clark, a film director freshly returned from 26 years of directing films in Hollywood. Behind Paradise peels back the fragile veneer of normality that cloaks South African suburbia to illustrate what most of us don't realize, or will not declare, until we too become victims. Gordon treads where few will go, deep into the personal anguish, the horror of the crime. He allows the victims to tell their story, uninterrupted and without external comment.

• Like 1

Poor parents of that boy!

The horror, all that while living in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

The partners in the firm I work for were discussing immigration (in a negative light I may add) and one noted " I don't know why people feel the need to move to Australia? Why don't they just move to Cape Town?" I should show him this video...

Interesting how they pick on Cape Town. Maybe because so many of the "film makers" live there. Couldn't be a plot to undermine the DA. :P

• Like 1

My 88 year old grandfather was held up on Friday morning by 5 guys with a rifle. In Springs. They had pulled both the front and back trellidoors right out of the wall (broken the bricks and plaster with crowbars). He drove up the driveway and surprised them. He had only been gone 10 minutes to drop my gran off.

They made him drive out with the rifle pointed on him. When his car was out of the drive they grabbed his keyring with ALL their house keys on it.

They drove off, taking nothing and leaving him unhurt. I don't know anymore.

Now they are stuck trying to fix thousands of Rands worth of trellidoor we put in last year for them and changing all their locks.

While we sit in Australia :(

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Sorry to hear that Bronwyn :(

Thanks Crisplet. He is a tough old guy. Maybe next time he will drive past instead of driving in the driveway :(

I finally watched the documentary "Behind Paradise" last night with hubby. We haven't been back to RSA since early 2010 and I've never had the pleasure to visit Cape Town in the 38 years I lived in South Africa. Since living in Australia in 2008 some of my work colleagues have now made Cape Town their home and although it is obviously a beautiful place, as is Hout Bay, the documentary just reinforces the reasons why we decided to make the move in the first place. My heart went out to the parents who lost their son in such a senseless way but for some reason, I especially found the story about the attempted break-in at the couple's home (where the woman is from Germany) very raw and real, where the husband explains that, while they were in the other room, they could hear someone trying to open the door by pushing down on the door handle. The detail (and calmness) in which he described the whole scene made me feel as if I was there, feeling what they were feeling, remembering the fear they went through during each second of those horrible moment while he tried to fight off the intruders. It touched us so much and so deeply that we had a hard time sleeping last night, almost like I was listening to every little sound again, both of us having bad dreams. I had a dream that someone was trying to steal the engine off of my hubby's boat which is parked in the front yard. I called out my husband's name but then woke up and in that split second of not realising that I had a dream, called out his name aloud again. When he woke up to me calling him, realisation dawned on me that it was only a dream - thank goodness...but in the same instance I realised that for many it wouldn't be a dream at all and they have to live through it every day, the constant fear of not knowing when it's your turn again and that no matter how many security measures you put in place, they still seem to be able to get through it in order to get what they want.

This documentary will resonate with me for a long time to come - it takes you back to the days that you felt what those people felt and makes you grateful to be where you are.....