Almost on our way....

LindaandPaul

They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step....

I don't think any of us could anticipate the amount of time, energy and effort we would need to put into firstly making a firm decision to live in another country, jump through all the hoops to qualify for this and then actually begin the process of unravelling your whole life to rebuild it somewhere else. And now it is two more sleeps before we fly out to Sydney to begin a new and exciting and absolutely terrifying journey, with two kids in tow. As we have progressed and especially now as we say goodbye to everyone the same question keeps being asked - do you have jobs, where are you going to live and where are the kids going to go to school?

I don't have the answer to all of the above, it is a giant leap of faith. All I can say is I am completely out of my comfort zone and even enjoying the process of this... what you going to do, collapse in a heap? We have been through so much admin and emotion to get here, I know we can make it work and with a fabulous husband at my side and two beautiful children how can I go wrong?

I have made some good friends along the way and I am looking forward to making new friends is Aus. Don't get me wrong, I am not trivialising the process. It has been the toughest thing I have ever done in my life. It has caused major upset and upheaval within our family circle (some people don't like change and if you are the one causing it, they will unconsciously try to drag you down). It has made me feel financially insecure (like nothing before) and it has made me evaluate how I "do life". All in all, what a great opportunity to re-evaluate everything tiny, minute detail of your life, decide what is important and make changes for the better. I see it as a great privilege.

We have friends who have offered us a place to stay for the first few weeks although it is unlikely that we will settle in their area (it's expensive) and they let us know this week that they have organised for us to house sit someone's house and dog for 2 weeks and another of their friends have offered us their car whilst they are overseas. I mean, it feels like we have hit the jackpot! I am so grateful but even bigger than that looking forward to people who are so trusting and open to helping others. It is the way I want to live my life - openly and free...

The next step.... packing all the luggage and staying in the limit (eish!) and then stepping off that plane on our new home soil... yippee!!!

• Like 4

What a great post, you guys sound so positive!

Enjoy the rollercoaster ride, it's an awesome time :)

• Like 2

Good luck guys! Please share some pics of Sydney in your first few days there - I love seeing first-hand 'on the ground' pics from normal/average people, rather than the glossy postcard pics that are all over Google Images.

• Like 1

Hi Linda

You have the right attitude, which I think is very important in this whole process.
Good luck with the trip I hope you guys find work with ease, so far It looks like things are already working in your favour so here's hoping the trend continues :)

• Like 1

Good luck!!!

I really like your comment

has made me evaluate how I "do life".

• Like 1