Another new member from Durban ~> Queensland

Marcie

Hello everyone

I'm very new to this forum and can only say I wish I had stumbled upon this website sooner.

Made the final decision to migrate September last year however only officially started the process in November. Tomorrow I go for my medicals.

Going over on a 190 to Queensland. Haven't quite decided when exactly to leave yet either. I won't lie, the thought of leaving SA without a job lined up scares the hell out of me so I have been toying with the idea of going over on a job hunting holiday and activating my visa at the same time. This will also allow me to visit my sister as her family are migrating too and have to be there before October. Don't know if it will be a waste of money and if I should just make the big move and look for work when there.

Is there anyone on this forum that has an electrical engineering background and perhaps works for any of the power utilities in Queensland?

Or anyone with an electrical engineering background (diploma and b-tech Degree) in Queensland?

Would love to hear from anyone in this field that could help with any info on entering the job market.

Thank you very much

Hi Marcie

Sorry can't help on electrical engineering front but we are also doing the Durban to Queensland move probably next year. Only just started the process, hopefully VETASSESS assessment will be submitted next week :)

We are not going to do a trip but just take the plunge and move. Hopefully my husband will have a job secured (his ex-boss from SA is starting a business in Queensland) if not we might send my hubby first to secure work before my daughter and I arrive. Though too be honest I'd really like to kick this new chapter off together.

Would your sister be willing to put you up for a bit when you get there. Personally if I had a bit of savings and had a relative to stay with (or it was just me and OH - easier to rough it without a 2year old to keep happy :) ) I'd just take the plunge.

Good Luck

Hi Marcie

Try getting in touch with ABB in Brisbane. I believe that most of their staff is ex Durban City Power corp.

Good Luck

Welcome to the most amazing forum you will ever belong too!!!

We are leaving on the 28th of April and neither hubby nor I had a job when we bought our flight tickets.

But now, my company wants to keep me on and I will be working for them via email and internet from Aus.

Hubby also has a contract position waiting for him.

Don't over analyse, over think or over stress this (coming from one who worries night and day). If it is meant to be, it will all fall in place. Just keep the faith.

Good luck with the journey and keep us posted.

@Tazzn - yes my sister will be willing to take me in for a while when I arrive. That was our initial plan actually. At least it's only me I have to worry about as I am single and have no kiddies either.

I actually had a 45min phone call with a recruitment agency in Perth 2 week's back. A ex-Durban lady in fact and she said to me she recommends that people should rather try obtain work in oz before giving up their job in SA as things aren't as rosy as what they used to be and obtaining work is more difficult. So to sit in an expensive country whilst tapping into your little south african savings whilst looking for a job is extremely nerve wrecking. Hence why I still Dante decide whether to come on a job hunting holiday or not.

@RichardH-thank you, I will definitely keep ABB in mind.

@Bams-I just read one of your other posts and balled my eyes out. See how God is looking out for you. Glad your company wants to keep you on and that your hubby has contract work on arrival.

My plan of action is going to be as soon as my exams are finished in October, I will start sending out my cv, see what the response is. I will probably have until February to activate my visa so will see what happens. In God we trust and through him all things are possible. Only He knows where I'm going and how my path is laid out. I'm surprised I haven't given myself a hernia already from all the worry but I keep telling myself, I have got more important things to get through and will deal with the work situation closer to the time.

Thank you Minks! Went for my medical exam today so hopefully not too much longer to hear the final outcome.

Must say, its been a pretty "painless" journey so far...well excpet having to deal with the parents disappointments. I'm hoping the relocation and job hunting will not be so difficult.