Doctors in Aus

Splinky

Hi everyone,

Are there any medical doctors on the forum who have recently made the move to Aus or are busy with the process? We have our PR and are looking to move around October of this year. The registration process for SA doctors seems pretty straight-forward but I am a bit concerned about work opportunities. We have a young family so I would really like to get into some part time work, preferably in a hospital setting. It seems as though part time work opportunities are very limited, even for Australian qualified doctors and in more rural areas, and I am starting to wonder if it is worth it to obtain registration in Aus or if I should start looking at a different career path.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Splinky,

I saw my RSA GP today and asked her your exact question. She said it is much more difficult to get registered than when she came over 5 years ago. You have to write certain exams and she said she basically had to re-study a lot of the things she already did in her degree. She said it is easier to register as a GP than get into a hospital - more tests and exams and stuff. According to her the exams were difficult but doable. You also have a panel of doctors with fake illnesses that you have to diagnose and those are apparently very stressful. Then for the first year you have to work under supervision of another doctor (not sure what that entails). She said definitely don't choose another career as the money for GP's are good. She's in a practise with several other doctors and she chooses the days and times she works. But she could only do that once she had built up enough patients on her database.

Please note that I'm speaking for Queensland as I don't know if the medical rules are the same for all the states....

I have some doctor friends who came over from New Zealand and England and they confirm what Heidim says but in respect of Victoria and Queensland. Most of the GPs we see work part time but still earn really well.

Thanks very much for the info Heidim and Sunnyskies. I have some details about the exams I would need to write but I am struggling to get any response from medical recruitment agencies and from the Medical Board in Australia regarding employment. All the GP jobs advertised require full registration, which is only possible after the year of supervision. I think I will probably have to wait until we land and take it from there.

Thanks again! :)

try smartjobs.qld.gov.au

QLD health must have these type of roles. They are also in difficult negotiations with doctors at the moment and one of their solutions is to hire from overseas.

Edited by 17yearsoutofrsa

Thanks very much for the info Heidim and Sunnyskies. I have some details about the exams I would need to write but I am struggling to get any response from medical recruitment agencies and from the Medical Board in Australia regarding employment. All the GP jobs advertised require full registration, which is only possible after the year of supervision. I think I will probably have to wait until we land and take it from there.

Thanks again! :)

I know 2 SA doctors in Adelaide & they both worked 'under supervision'. In practice, it just meant they did the same job as all the other doctors but got paid less (similar to nurse's rates I think??)

This was about 6-7 years ago.

I'm in Melbourne....try looking at a recruitment agency here called McArthur...they do the recruiting for Department of Health and Department of Human services.....their phone number is (03) 9828 6565.

Thank you everyone! I will definitely get hold of McArthur, thanks for the info RAD.

• Like 1