New and feeling stuck

Briggy

Hi All :)

My name is Brigitte. I am a qualified teacher and my husband is a qualified Diesel Mechanic. We are in the process of immigrating however we have hit a little hurdle. We have our eyes set on Perth due to family being there that are able to accommodate us initially.

I have done the academic Ielts and got the 7's and 8's that were required of me. My degree (papers) got sent off to Aus to be assessed and came back to be qualified as a Primary School Teacher. We then proceeded to apply for the Skilled Migrant visa but due to me being 24 and only 1.5 years work experience I miss PR by 5 points.

We are now looking at going over on 457 sponsored visa on either my degree or hubby's trade.

We have done police clearance as well as unabridged birth certificates etc...

Any suggestions or advise on which is a great route to go as we are so keen to immigrate and make the most of our lives in Aus.

Much appreciated:)

I would ask this question, do you have a sponsor that will give either of you a job at this time?

Wait till you're 25 and you will get the extra 5 points, how far is that away?

• Like 1

Isn't Diesel Mechanic on the skills list? I seem to remember it being there a little while back? If it is would applying with him being the primary applicant not be an option?

I think that experience is worth getting even if you have to wait 18 months. Just one word of advise, since they determine your arrival dates based on PCC and medicals you want to do those as late in the process as possible. Fortunately a PCC is relatively cheap and easy to redo. We had to do ours again to take advantage of the later timing.

Hand in here time flies.....

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your advise.

My husband is on the skills list however he will then have to sit the Ielts and requires 7's in each band. Unfortunately he isn't keen on sitting the exam as he isn't confident about doing it. He will also have to go to Jhb and do a 2000 dollar trade assessment interview (holy moly)!!

I am 25 next year March.. Only 24 on Thursday:) I agree that experience is a a good idea but we really have set our minds on going in the next few months.

We are in the process of applying for jobs everywhere we see one available - Google, Gumtree, word-of-mouth. What is the PR 190 visa entail?

Thanks again

There may be another 5 points through seeking state sponsorship (if not already included) - this would be the 190 option.

Have you considered resitting the IELTS and going for all 4 sections scoring over 8 there are some practice sites/books which can make a big difference.

We are looking into the 190 option.

I have re-sat it twice and got 7.5W 8.5 for R and L and 9 for Speaking. I am battling to get the 8 in writing.

Hi Briggy

We are going on the 190 visa, my husband did IELTS 3 times - some others on the forum have done it close on 10 times in order to get the points required. The 190 visa requires you to stay in the sponsoring state for a minimum of 2 years, you are not compelled to work in your specific field either. It also gives you those extra 5 points. You re doing IELTS sounds like the cheaper option in my 'very limited' opinion :).

Good luck x

• Like 1

You are quite lucky to have several options, like 1982 pointed out, many people have had to re-write several times as that was their only options.

You can wait another year and redo medicals and p.c.c.'s your IELT is valid for 3 years.

You can have hubby and his trade as the primary applicant................you'd have to check, he needs to prove competent English which requires a score of 6 in all four bands.

You could go for state of family sponsorship too and get the extra 5 points.

Good luck

@AndreaL - We now looking at the 489 visa which is a family in the designated area or something like that.

Hubby could do the Ielts but requires 7's in each band and he is not too confident on sitting it but I feel he has the ability:) The fact that I have a first cousin in Perth has given me 5 extra points so I now have 60 points which doesn't allow for Pr it allows me to go on 489 Provisional Residency visa?

All advise and opinions are appreciated:0

xox

welcome to the forum!

I am not at all knowledgeable about the family sponsored visas.

However, I do feel that if you have the opportunity to get the Permanent Residency Visa...either as a 190 or 189, that would be first prize for sure. It is much better in terms of state support, ie Medicare and Centrelink etc. And if/when you have kids the educational benefits are there too.

So in your shoes, I would probably try and resit the IELTS to get those extra points. But that of course is my opinion. :)

• Like 1

Hi All :)

My name is Brigitte. I am a qualified teacher and my husband is a qualified Diesel Mechanic. We are in the process of immigrating however we have hit a little hurdle. We have our eyes set on Perth due to family being there that are able to accommodate us initially.

I have done the academic Ielts and got the 7's and 8's that were required of me. My degree (papers) got sent off to Aus to be assessed and came back to be qualified as a Primary School Teacher. We then proceeded to apply for the Skilled Migrant visa but due to me being 24 and only 1.5 years work experience I miss PR by 5 points.

We are now looking at going over on 457 sponsored visa on either my degree or hubby's trade.

We have done police clearance as well as unabridged birth certificates etc...

Any suggestions or advise on which is a great route to go as we are so keen to immigrate and make the most of our lives in Aus.

Much appreciated:)

Try find a job before you arrive, maybe even going the sponsored route. The WA teachers are not having a good time at the moment with massive state cut-backs. My wife is a teacher and for the first time in her life she's been dragged into industrial action. A few of the teachers at her school have been moved to other schools which they are not happy about. I asked her if she's going to "toy-toy" :lol:http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/03/05/11/49/wa-teachers-plan-strike-rally-on-april-1

On the other hand work for diesel mechanics is not what it used to be. Westrac (Caterpillar agents) sacked 60 diesel mechanic apprentices because of the downturn in mining activity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-28/westrac-to-sack-apprentices/5121816

Even if you get a PR visa, it's good advice to try and get work before you arrive!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a note, the 489 also has a state nomination path (i.e. you don't need a relative there to sponsor you)

In order to qualify for a Subclass 489 visa, you would need to:

• Lodge an EOI and be invited by DIAC to apply
  • Be sponsored by a relative living in a Designated Area or nominated by a State or Territory Government.
  • Meet the pass mark in the skilled migration test points- currently 60
  • Be aged between 18 and 49 inclusive
  • Pass Skills Assessment in an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupations List
  • Have Competent English or higher (6 minimum in IELTS or holder of approved passports)
  • Meet health and character requirements

regards

Shaugn

Hi Briggy.

Have you thought seriously about Perth? . . . OK you have rellies living there that can put you up at first, but sooner or later they will want to shift you on to your own rental accommodation that you'd have to arrange once you get there. Living with them wouldn't be a permanent option.

Before you have a heart seizure at the grand ol' age of 24, have you checked out the price of the average house nowadays in Perth?

You have to sell one of your kids into slavery to get a down payment for a dog box in Perth right now. What's that? . . . . you haven't got any kids yet? They take forward orders for when you do!

Do yourselves a big favour and check out the job situation in Adelaide. It's on the map when you look at Australia as a whole, on the way to Melbourne.

South Australia isn't the best state in Australia right now that I'd recommend people to migrate to, with job opportunities, but both of yours (diesel mechanic and primary teacher) would be alright.

I travel all over Australia, yet I live in the hills to the east of the city of Adelaide. The motorway affords us a 30 minute drive into the centre of Adelaide city, yet we live in a country

Edited by Bob
  • Like 1

Hi there

@ Bob - Thank you so much for your advice and the time you took out your day to reply to my "stuck" situation. I do appreciate it. As of right now Perth was our option as of rellies as well as friends and other family members in the area however Adelaide is an option to consider. I see your points are worth looking into as you are talking from experience:) Thanks again

@ Shaugn - Thank you for the 489 visa tips. Currently we are going the 190 option as I have done the skills assessment all all that so I just need to get all 8's in the Ielts exam. Did it through British council twice and now trying the language lab which apparently is better? I got 8 and above for the bands except writing I could not get passed the 7.5 band:( Will try again:) Thanks for the tips...

Briggy

xox

• Like 1

IELTS is very subjective and definitely seems to depend on the examiner's mood of the day. My wife missed 8 in one of the sections each time she wrote but had previously been given 9 for the exact same section in the test before. She turned 25, we applied for State sponsorship and doors opened!

If you can get over on a 457 now, go for it and later when you have enough points (or 2 years after being there on a 457) apply for your PR. Visa fees and other costs to emigrating are continuously going up so get over as soon as possible