Rearing to go...but where?

TheHoopoes

How to eat an elephant...1 bite at a time!

Good morning,

From lines drawn in the sand, to ensure we weren't frogs adapting to the boiling water, to now, has taken a while. But Friday 1 Nov 2013 marked the day we told our 2 girls (8 and 10 yrs), we had decided to emigrate to Oz.

We are Robyn (Montessori Pre-school Owner), hubby (Energy Efficiency Industrial Engineer business owner), 2 daughter. We will be leaving behind a beautiful home, 2 businesses, a bunch of soonish emigrating friends, family, 2 Ridgebacks, 1 very old Jack Russell, a cat, and chickens, to start our Oz adventure. We plan to leave at the mid of June 2014.

So we began with selling my house and attached pre-school - done

Contacting agent for Medical reping - done - she recommended Melbourne and Sydney, and contact again in May

Then we sent through the letter to my girl's Primary school - done

We told as many friends in person and via calls -done

Got quotes to container (20ft)- done

Contacted IOM-done

Closing down Engineering projects - hubby

Although we received our grant 175 in August 2009, we have been going through the questions and answers, doubts and rethinks everyone does. From my side, I want for my girls, what I had or at least more of what I had as a child. For me I want the freedom, opportunity and a few more guarantees. A fresh start is also really appealing. Graeme has his own reasons, but most surround his girls. So in short, same stories, different family?

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I am so glad I can finally join, and take another bite! Life is going to be crazy for the next 7 months (21/2 yrs) but I do crazy. I also do organised and list making, so hopefully these traits will stand me in good stead.

So for now, that is the story of us.

Welcome to the forum

I truly believe you will find freedom and opportunity and that fresh start. Being open to opportunity that presents is the key. There will be trade offs, it may take a while to find the perfect home or even the perfect place to live, but there is a place somewhere in Australia that will tick those boxes,

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you.

We activated Easter 2010.

I have been trying to get a feel for suburbs and realise job will dictate a lot. However, I am curious, after reading all the comments. Is it possible to find a suburb at a reasonable price range and quality of say 600pw to 750pw, with 3 bedrooms reasonably close to a child-friendly beach and good primary schools. And public transport? It seems like a 45 minute hop to a beach?

In Sydney.

Awesome! So nice to hear your story. The time will fly. We leave in 29 days and I have no idea where the last 7 months went! Best of luck to you guys.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the rest of your planning. This journey is accomplished by eating the elephant one bite at a time.

Welcome, congrats on getting the visa and good luck for the last, exciting few months before the big move! ?

Congratulations and good luck with all your final arrangements... we love Melbourne, great city to live in!

For $600pw you can get a 4 pr 5 bedroom house. Its towards the high end homes. Especially in canberra

http://www.domain.com.au/search/rent/state/nsw/area/northern-beaches/region/sydney-region/suburb/frenchs-forest/?ssubs=1&bedrooms=%3E3&from=600&to=750&searchterm=frenchs+forest

Its definitely doable in Sydney in my area. Most of the area was built in the 60/70's, so wont win prizes for architectural excellence, but thousands of people live here happily. In fact we thrive. Its 15mins to the beach, surrounded by national park, great state schools, a quick hop to the city. Please, before you leave for Australia, shake the South African notion about perceived wealth and status, and that you need to live in a "new" house. I am always floored by my fellow countrymen who tell me that they live in an old house, then it turns out to be about 10 years old. Good luck, I know its difficult feeling your way around from over there.

Hi,

Found this amazing site which is part of the NBN system in Canberra.

If only this was in SA.

http://www.police.act.gov.au/crime-and-safety/crime-statistics.aspx

It lists all crimes by suburb by Qtr by year.....you are able to compare suburbs and make filters.

What a win. Hope this helps.

Good Luck .

Thank you everyone for your responses. Makes this all a little less daunting, having a group of knowledgeable people on line.