2% white

Eyebrow

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/kwazulu-natal/med-school-rejects-student-over-race-1.1649737#.UwZ3TX8ayK0

I knew of the quota system before, but did not realize how severe it was. Only 2% white students allowed.

I heard about kids with 9 distinctions in matric not getting into medical school and then going overseas to do medicine....

When I get ill, I want to be operated on by the best possible doctor, regardless of race. Not the quota dr!

I know of two matrics that were refused entry to a number of different uni's a couple of years ago because they were white and both of them matriculated with 7 distinctions. Both had to do a BSc premed and were only then accepted as part of the 2% white quota.

The one guy did so well that he achieved exam exemption, which by the way takes a 90% year averaged to achieve. He dropped my wife a note the other day on Facebook to tell her that once he is finished with his community and Zuma years he is seriously considering leaving for greener pastures. Can't say I blame him.

I am all for equal opportunity education and everyone getting a fair go but it erks me to no end that the entrance criteria for uni is based on the colour of your skin. :angry:

• Like 2

I have to admit, when I read the title I seriously thought this was a thread about Milk! :)

(those in Aus would understand)

• Like 4

I have to admit, when I read the title I seriously thought this was a thread about Milk! :)

(those in Aus would understand)

Me too.................thinking of the Pauls milk advert where the bloke goes into the shop and asks for milk and the shop lady reels off a list of all the different milks including 2%.

Having read the article, I want to know what 'other' is.......................martian perhaps?

Shows you just how desensitized we have become to colour, even in the short time that some of us have been here.

• Like 3

Haha... I also thought it was going to be about milk.

For a while I also tried to resist racial classification (up until 2010 I just left the question on these forms blank)... unfortunately you can only resist it for so long. They use the exact same racial categories as apartheid... I guess they may as well. Racists!

I read News24 and I am reminded that I've done the right thing - this, Eskom has no power, ANC blames apartheid for random unrelated thing, yaaaawwwwnnnnnnn nothing ever changes.

Edited - I also note the politically correct, but meaningless term "african" being used instead of "black" in the article. Why can she be referred to as indian, and me be referred to as white, but blacks get called "african"?! I'm african, I was born there. Call a spade a spade!

Edited by Donovan83

Donovan

I have to laugh when we talk about being politically correct etc and your use of the phrase "call a spade a spade", this used to be an innocuous phrase, but in tandem with sayings such as "black a the ace of spades" has now become a derogatory term for an African American..............................sometimes I feel the world had gone mad, but isn't it funny how so many of us who live here thought we were talking about milk.

Perhaps the fact that colour is etched into the political landscape of RSA, as in quota systems, is one of the main reasons it continues to be a huge and divisive issue there.

Sheesh, I opted for milk as well! I am so thankful that I do not have children in RSA that still have to get a university education...

yup - the new reality ...diehtrapa

My kids were impacted by this 'quota' system ..... some years ago already ....

• Daughter knew the uni only had facilities for 10 students to do their honours degree, as such, she did enough work to be in the top ten, she thought she was 'ok' - that is until she found out that the 10 posts would go to the top 5 whites and the top 5 blacks (regardless of their overall academic possition) - eisch, so she had to up her game - she made it into the 'white' top 5 and completed her hons .... but this did impact her racial views
  • My son as well, no bursary for whites (ok no 'biggie', so I paid his fees), but then when companies came to interview the top students for vac work experience jobs, he was told that they 'had' to only take black students ..... which obviously left him rather pi$$ed off .....

and now .... we all live in Australia ......

• Like 3

Sad and scary.... Hopefully we will get our visa in the next week.... This is so why we are going.... My daughter is not quite in uni yet but she has her eye on medicine. I can't give her that in SA and then if she did get in (but won't) I would have to pay a fortune for a less than internationally desired qualification.... :( how sad, cos SA is beautiful.

I know of two matrics that were refused entry to a number of different uni's a couple of years ago because they were white and both of them matriculated with 7 distinctions. Both had to do a BSc premed and were only then accepted as part of the 2% white quota.

The one guy did so well that he achieved exam exemption, which by the way takes a 90% year averaged to achieve. He dropped my wife a note the other day on Facebook to tell her that once he is finished with his community and Zuma years he is seriously considering leaving for greener pastures. Can't say I blame him.

I am all for equal opportunity education and everyone getting a fair go but it erks me to no end that the entrance criteria for uni is based on the colour of your skin. :angry:

Lucky it's not racist and discriminatory. If it was the ANC would be against it.

• Like 1

Yay - 1,999 posts or as I like to think of them - pearls - cast before you lot .... :)

Having read the article, I want to know what 'other' is.......................martian perhaps?

Other is before white and designates anyone one from another country. And people wonder why we leave a country that doesn't want us.

Lucky it's not racist and discriminatory. If it was the ANC would be against it.

Don't get me started. It's not racist as long as it against the whities.

Even when I was at the beginning of my uni studies in Bloemfontein, I could not obtain one single bursary, or even apply for one, for by far the most bursaries given at that stage already (1992), were to go for blacks ('only affirmative action applicants need to apply', was the subscript). In my second year of studies, one of our lecturers told us in class that the lecturers received letters from 'above' that if they should allow any black student to fail any exam, they would face either reduction in salary, or be sacked. When I was working part-time in my fourth year in a lab on the uni grounds, I had to teach a new Phd arrival from Wits uni, her first year lab techniques - good grief, how did she obtain her BSc and BSc Hons degrees !!?? By the color of her skin, of course. But saying anything like the above, would brand me a racist. So I didn't say it ... it was just musings :whome:

After my studies was done, I could only get a job in my field in London as part of the working-holiday wave (what fun that was !). Blessings was bestowed upon me when I met the love of my life over there, back home we got married and I never had to vie for a place in the job market again !

That's why we go. For our children to have a fair go in life ...

Try being an unemployed white male over 30. I had the unfortunate pleasure of being in that position twice, the first time for 13 months and the second time for 15 months. During both periods I was told many times by recruitment agents to not even bother applying for certain positions because I was too white.

99% of the jobs ads I trolled all had AA or EE only need apply in them. After the 200th ad I eventually just gave up reading job ads. In both cases I ended up getting employed by friends of friends.

These days I troll seek just to read the ads and it just confirms why we did this.

• Like 2

Yay - 1,999 posts or as I like to think of them - pearls - cast before you lot .... :)

Are you calling us swine Bacchus?

Are you calling us swine Bacchus?

Me!?? Noooooo - what could possibly have given you that idea? :)

AndreaL

Seems our 'boet' feels that the number of posts is important and actually relevant to this discussion topic ?

I guess the number of posts may mean something, if they were actually relevant, and not often about poor distasteful toilet humour, or an attempt at it .....

In my opinion, only someone with a 'baas' mentality can be so condescending and disrespectful. Alternatively they must be soooo special that their bowl movements must be of interest to us ....

But then, live and let live, although we should all respect the topics, and if we need people's attention, then start a new topic instead of high jacking other peoples topics.....

• Like 2

AndreaL

Seems our 'boet' feels that the number of posts is important and actually relevant to this discussion topic ?

I guess the number of posts may mean something, if they were actually relevant, and not often about poor distasteful toilet humour, or an attempt at it .....

In my opinion, only someone with a 'baas' mentality can be so condescending and disrespectful. Alternatively they must be soooo special that their bowl movements must be of interest to us ....

But then, live and let live, although we should all respect the topics, and if we need people's attention, then start a new topic instead of high jacking other peoples topics.....

Sheesh, some serious issues here Patrice. Do you find it difficult to get on with other people? Just wondering...

• Like 2

... and all this started because milk is white, even with only 2% fat in it ... and quite a lot of us looks a bit like milk ... let's not get sour ... :P

• Like 2

The bottom line is that if only 2% of university places in South Africa are reserved for whites, then the rest might as well study in Australia, Canada or New Zealand.

We'll be glad of a few bright South African students, I'm sure, even if they are white.

Edited by Bob
  • Like 3

Thank you Bob, thank you - we'll bring our lily white / milky white offspring to study in OZ :ilikeit:

• Like 1